Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help me chose a hotel in Koh Chang's White Sand Beach

• AprilJef

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

Greetings fellow Fishes!

I'm looking at a few hotels on the cheaper side of our budget for 2 nights in White Sands in Ko Chang. We're looking for someplace that's convienent to the bars and night life, and we're ambivilant about being on the beach (however a pool would be nice). Keep in mind this is just our first stop on the island, and we will then carry on to Mercure Ko Chang Hideaway for 3 nights and then further to Ko Kood to Shantaa for 4 more nights, so we'll have plenty of time for relaxing, sun and sand then. We will have come from Pattaya previously.We're a 30 something couple from Canada.

Looking on Agoda and Booking.com I think I've got it narrowed down to either Keeree Ele Hotel, or Alina Grade (both around the $60CAD/night range) or Ko Chang Kacha, or Cookies, which are more like $100CAD/night. As we kinda blew our budget at Shantaa and Mercure I'm leaning towards the cheaper places, but I'd hate to be in a crumby place for the sake of $40.

Anyone have any insight? Or even another option I haven't considered? We're going to be there Jan 11-13 and since I'm a bit of a worry wart I like to have my accomodations figured out before we leave!

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 12:44

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'd just show up and look for a place you like, in that price range you'll have no trouble finding a place. But personally I don't like White Sand Beach myself, too touristy and the beach isn't that great.

#2 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 15:07

• AprilJef

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

Thanks Altmtl! I tend to over plan so it's encouraging to hear that I don't have to have this all sorted here in the next 3 days before we fly out! Thanks for the tip!

#3 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 16:12

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i remember when White Sand Beach was so pristine the sand squeaked when you walked on it, and that was only 20 years ago. anyway, if you aren't too worried about location, prices are always cheaper on the off-beach side of the road.

my favorite spot on White Sand Beach used to be the bungalows at the far north end of the beach. there wasn't a road to them (don't know if there is now or not), but it was only a km walk or so up the beach to the bungalows. great sunsets from that location too.

there is also a set of rooms built into the cliffs along that stretch of beach. the new owner has been encouraging folks to visit, and it looks like a great place to at least have a drink if not stay. since it is a bit up off the sand, the views are particularly good.

since it looks like you'll be staying in posh places later on, it might be fun to do some basic backpacker accommodation for this section of your trip, in which case just showing up and picking a place you like is your best bet - just as altmtl suggests above. cheers.

#4 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 17:37

• pattaya24se-
    ven

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2012

Ko Chang Kacha is stunning and right on the beach, but as you say it is a bit pricey. I normally stay at Paddy's Palms, it's about 1000-1500B a night and has its own on-site pub. There's a bit more on Koh Chang here if you need other ideas.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 23:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How was the White Sands Beach Resort on Koh Chang? ... By tttraveller on 8 Oct 2007 2 2364 16 Oct 2007
Rock Sand, Koh Chang, renewed ... By rocksand on 8 Nov 2009 6 3629 2 Jul 2010
Rock Sand Resort, Koh Chang ... By rocksand on 23 Aug 2012 1 1225 25 Oct 2012
Sea and Sand Hotel - Hoi An ... By ndogg on 16 May 2006 3 1626 28 Aug 2006
Wanted: A white beach for Christmas ... By Helen78 on 15 Aug 2006 2 1807 21 Aug 2006
HANOI WHITE PALACE HOTEl ... By halongbaycheap on 23 Dec 2013 0 561 23 Dec 2013