Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok - Songkran Travel

• baykid650

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2012

Hey!

I'm arriving in BKK on the night of April 15th, last day of Songkran. Do you think it's advisable to book a room in the city? I want to participate in the festivities, but will the roads be so blocked up that a taxi wouldn't be able to reach my hotel/hostel?

I'm concerned I'll spend my night jetlagged in the back of a taxi. Maybe it's better to get a room near the airport for the first night?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/12/2012 - 13:03

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1.RES-up to you. As has been siad so many times: the really dirt-cheap places do not take bookings and its just come and see. Its perhaps more useful to note if a wanted place is also closed for that period. I see that every day when flabbergasted TF-users come to topselection BKK nr 1 and find its full.
    2.NOOne-noone pushes a bell that its off for now-or on-re that water splashing. BKK empties out-at least half of its people go home in the country. That waterthrow is mainly confined the the tipical crazy-kids (think bekpek) areas-in the idea thats fun. Main roads are wide enough. Your idea to sit in a taxi all night is indeed one of the carziest Ive ever read on a site like this.

#2 Posted: 22/12/2012 - 20:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey kid,

how late are you arriving? i ask because arriving late at night in a large city is one of the few times i definitely book a room. besides, if you only book the first night or two, you can still have a look around and see if there is something you like better nearby.

usually the songkran water fights are more during the day than night, but you could be a target at any time. even so, if you want to get in on the festivities, go ahead and book a room in town. a taxi will get you close enough to where you want to be and then you'll have that first night in town. traffic shouldn't be too much of an issue, if at all.

staying out near the airport is not a bad idea, and i know lots of folks who are doing that more and more now. you'll do fine if you choose that option, but there likely won't be the activity that there would be if you were in town. hope that helps. take care.

backpack. backpack. backpack.

#3 Posted: 22/12/2012 - 21:01

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The water throwing usually tames down after dark so as long as you get a taxi to your desintation the risk of getting soaked isn't too bad. I would book a room though so you know where you're going. The only street that is likely to be clogged solid with bodies is Khao San Road but that is pretty much a pedestrian street anyway.

#4 Posted: 23/12/2012 - 02:51

• baykid650

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2012

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I was just wondering if the streets would be too crowded for taxis to get through. Seems like the streets won't be crowded.

I wasn't thinking of camping out in a taxi, I was afraid I might get stuck in traffic for hours. I'm definitely gonna reserve a hotel for the first night at least. It's not my first time to Bangkok, ithankyouverymuch.

Thanks thanks thanks bob & exacto

#5 Posted: 23/12/2012 - 14:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.