Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

reasonable hostel rate

• kylelawrence

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

Hi fellow travelers,

My girlfriend and I are looking for a good hostel in Karon, Phuket- one that is cheap but fairly clean and safe enough for us to lock up our belongings without worrying about them being stolen. I wanted somewhere that had a bar or common area so that we could meet other travelers easily, and one that was close to the beach.

I got in touch with Divers Inn (www.diversinn.com/). They told me it cost 700 baht/night for a room. They also said:

"to book a room for 2 nights is 1300*2= 2600 +800 (airport pickup) = 3400 Baht"

That seems really expensive to me. We don't necessarily need airport pickup, so that's no big deal, but even the room rate seems really pricey. Am I wrong? Let me know your thoughts.

#1 Posted: 25/12/2012 - 00:54

• Advertisement

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Karon Beach is an upmarket area, so you won't find many hostels around that part of the world I'm afraid. Try these: http://www.hostelworld.com Choose " Phuket Karon Beach" in the list. (This site creates an automatic link to Phuket unfortunately).

You'd be better off in Patong which is also the main party scene on the island and where you're more likely to meet other travellers like yourselves.

As regards the taxi fare, the price which has been agreed by the local council is 750 Baht to Karon. When you return however, the fare will jump to 1000 Baht because you have to pay an additional 250 Baht when the vehicle returns empty.

It's all part of the big Thai tourist ripoff I'm afraid. Too many tourists have coughed up ridiculous sums of money in the past and those prices have rapidly become the norm. You'll find a list of taxi fares here: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-taxi-fares-outrage-everyone-except-drivers-16698/

If you want to arrange your own taxi, walk out of the arrivals building at Phuket International airport and turn right. You'll see a yellow taxi booth a short distance away with a big "Taxi-Meter" sign on top. Go there and tell the lady where you want to go. She'll give you a voucher which you give to the driver. The fare will be determined before you get into the cab so no worries about being ripped off there. I use them all the time when I go to Phuket.

Do avoid all the touts who will descend on you like a cloud of insects as soon as you walk through the doors into the arrivals hall though. They're not to be trusted and will likely stop along the route where you'll be expected to sign up for overpriced tours and the like just so that they can get their commission.

#2 Posted: 25/12/2012 - 04:46

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

#3 Posted: 25/12/2012 - 10:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.