Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Which southern destinations will you drop?

Posted by Leonw86 on 28/12/2012 at 08:34

Hi everybody,

Going to Thailand next month for the first time and was wondering which destinations in southern Thailand I should drop. The following destinations are on my whishlist, but maybe some destinations look alike, offer the same experience or arent't worthwhile for a first time Thailand visiter? I have to lose at least 3 or 4 destinations.

Ko Lipe (Tarutao National Park)
Ko Bulon Leh
Trang Islands
Ko Phi Phi
Phang Nga Bay
Khao Sok NP
Ko Samui
Ko Phangan
Ko Tao

Thanks everybody!

#1 Leonw86 has been a member since 30/5/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/12/2012 at 08:43 admin

what are your interests? diving? partying? nature? standard of accommodation? etc - a bit more info on what you are looking for and it will be a bit easier to cull a few.

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by gregmccann1 on 28/12/2012 at 09:20

Ko Samui, for sure. It's a dump.

#3 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 183
 Website 

Posted by Leonw86 on 28/12/2012 at 09:46

Was already thinking about dumping Samui and instead go to Phangan and/or Tao.

When it cames to my interest it's a little bit of both. One time just beautifull nature, sea canoeing, and a place where I can drink something in peace. But I don't like a completely abandoned island, because then I will get bored.

The other time an island with a bit of a crowd and nightlife, but definitly not like the full-moon type in Haad Rin.

I won't be diving, but will probably do some snorkeling.

I will first be going to Northern Thailand and Cambodia. Will be at the first Thai island around the beginning of March. I know the islands are more expensive then the rest of Thailand, but I don't want to spend more then 1000/1200bath a day for a room for me and my girlfriend.

Phi Phi is the only place in the list I don't want to drop, because my girlfriend definitly wants to go there.

Any idea which islands suits bests?

#4 Leonw86 has been a member since 30/5/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by gregmccann1 on 28/12/2012 at 10:22

Don't worry, neither Samui or Phang Ngan has an 'abandoned' feel. Try Bottle Beach (Haad Kuat) up on the northern end of Phang Ngang. Well, at least it was nice back in '08. Not sure about now.

#5 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 183
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.