Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which southern destinations will you drop?

• Leonw86

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

Hi everybody,

Going to Thailand next month for the first time and was wondering which destinations in southern Thailand I should drop. The following destinations are on my whishlist, but maybe some destinations look alike, offer the same experience or arent't worthwhile for a first time Thailand visiter? I have to lose at least 3 or 4 destinations.

Ko Lipe (Tarutao National Park)
    Ko Bulon Leh
    Trang Islands
    Ko Phi Phi
    Phang Nga Bay
    Khao Sok NP
    Ko Samui
    Ko Phangan
    Ko Tao

Thanks everybody!

#1 Posted: 28/12/2012 - 08:34

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

what are your interests? diving? partying? nature? standard of accommodation? etc - a bit more info on what you are looking for and it will be a bit easier to cull a few.

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 28/12/2012 - 08:43

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Ko Samui, for sure. It's a dump.

#3 Posted: 28/12/2012 - 09:20

• Leonw86

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

Was already thinking about dumping Samui and instead go to Phangan and/or Tao.

When it cames to my interest it's a little bit of both. One time just beautifull nature, sea canoeing, and a place where I can drink something in peace. But I don't like a completely abandoned island, because then I will get bored.

The other time an island with a bit of a crowd and nightlife, but definitly not like the full-moon type in Haad Rin.

I won't be diving, but will probably do some snorkeling.

I will first be going to Northern Thailand and Cambodia. Will be at the first Thai island around the beginning of March. I know the islands are more expensive then the rest of Thailand, but I don't want to spend more then 1000/1200bath a day for a room for me and my girlfriend.

Phi Phi is the only place in the list I don't want to drop, because my girlfriend definitly wants to go there.

Any idea which islands suits bests?

#4 Posted: 28/12/2012 - 09:46

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Don't worry, neither Samui or Phang Ngan has an 'abandoned' feel. Try Bottle Beach (Haad Kuat) up on the northern end of Phang Ngang. Well, at least it was nice back in '08. Not sure about now.

#5 Posted: 28/12/2012 - 10:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.