Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand in 1 week?

• kfbrock

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013

I am trying to find out if seeing Thailand in a week is do-able. My wife and I (in our early 30s) have 11 days blocked off from work/weekends and we figure travel from midwest US will take 2 days on each end, giving us 7 in Thailand. (Correct me if that assumption is wrong). We would both like to see the beaches in Phuket or nearby areas, but we would also like to see the jungle and elephants up north, and possibly see Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Is this even possible? Am I biting off more than I can chew? How easy/expensive/fast is it to get around to the different places?

Also, if this is possible, any suggestions on where we should fly in and out of? I'm guessing flying in and out of Bangkok would be the simplest, but if we are skipping around then maybe flying into Phuket or another place would make more sense?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 12:58

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

hi kf,

i understand the temptation to try and do as much as you can with the 11 days you have available, but that is a great deal to try in do in such a short time. you loose a day travelling to thailand from the states because of the international dateline, but you get it back when you go home, so that is a wash. depending on your airline, it is usually a 24 to 30 hour trip each way. but more than the time involved, i'd be worried about the jet lag, since unless you are a seasoned international traveller, you'll likely be jet lagged for a few days after you arrive in thailand, which is a big percentage of the time you'll be there.

unfortunately, you've selected places that are fairly far apart. you could always fly from A to B. that saves time but costs money, and even flying will take up half a day or more each time you travel. if your heart is set on thailand, maybe limit it to as few locations as possible, as in no more than two with maybe a side trip - something like bangkok with a side trip to ayutthaya and phuket, for example.

coming from the midwest, and depending on when you'll be travelling, the yucatan peninsula in mexico might be a good alternative for you. you could fly in and out of cancun and either hire a car or bus it to some great destinations there. i often think of yucatan as my poor man's thailand, since it has much of the same great things like beaches, jungles, ancient ruins, and great food that i love in thailand. i head there sometimes when i don't have the time to get away to southeast asia for long enough to make it worthwhile. it's same same, only different.

maybe not the answer you wanted, but hopefully something useful to think about anyway. best wishes.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 19:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

With seven days in country, assuming you fly all the legs, you could conceivably cover three destinations, but two would be a more comfortable option. Obviously Bangkok would be one of the three, then I'd say you could either do some beaches down south and either Chiang Mai in the north OR Angkor .

For eg
    Day 1 arrive, Bangkok
    Day 2 Bangkok
    Day 3 morning flight to Siem Reap, afternoon at Angkor Wat
    Day 4 All day at Angkor, evening flight back to Bangkok
    Day 5 Morning flight to either Phuket or Krabi or Ko Samui (all three are beach options in the south) OR Chiang Mai in the north
    Day 6 Full day in whichever destination you chose
    Day 7 Full day in whichever destination you chose, afternoon flight to Bangkok & exit.

That is a jam-packed itinerary with a lot of time spent at airports.

Another option would be to drop Angkor & Chiang Mai completely and swap for Kanchanaburi -- a comfortable riverside town a couple of hours from Bangkok where you can see river, jungle, elephants & waterfalls. In that case you could do something like:

Day 1 arrive, Bangkok
    Day 2 Bangkok
    Day 3 morning bus to Kanchanaburi, full day there
    Day 4 Full day at Kanchanaburi
    Day 5 Morning bus back to Bangkok & flight to either Phuket or Krabi or Ko Samui (all three are beach options in the south)
    Day 6 Full day in whichever destination you chose
    Day 7 Full day in whichever destination you chose, afternoon flight to Bangkok & exit.

Hope that helps - at end of the day, very limited time and I'd be inclined to spend longer in fewer places than shorter periods in more.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 21:04

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

As much as I hate to say it I think that might be a bit much. Last year I did southern Thailand and Angkor over a month and it wasn't quite enough. If you are able to you can probably fly into Bangkok then do a same day flight down south. It's up to you but I would rather spend the week in one maybe 2 locations.

#4 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 21:21

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

One more thing I did was fly into Bangkok then fly home through Cambodia to avoid the backtracking. I found the flights to be fairly similarly priced

#5 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.