Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Chang or Krabi/Lanta area??

• dnev101

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend will be in Thailand late feb early march after 3 weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia.
    We are after a chill out offer what is going to be a hectic 3 weeks so plan on finding somewhere nice with nice beaches and a chilled out atmosphere. We went to Lanta 2 years ago and loved it so were thinking of going around there again but, coming from Siem Reap , it would mean travelling to Bangkok to get an overnight train and a ferry..... Or a flight to phucket which is quite expensive.
    So I have been looking at Koh Chang, it's only 6 hours from Siem Reap so far easier to get to. But I have read mixed reviews. Some say too touristy some say not.

Does anybody have any experiences or suggestions of where we should spend a week chilling out???

#1 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 16:33

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say Ko Chang sees slightly more tourists, especially mid-market and up than Lanta, but both get their fair share and both should be pretty busy in Feb as the weather will be great. If you want to snorkel or dive the conditions are better at Lanta, but otherwise I think you're looking at a pretty line-ball call. Not much help I know!

There's other nearby islands to both which would be sleepier options... There's also Ko Chang Noi in Ranong province -- it's about half the distance from Bangkok and is a seriously chilled out island... when one of our writers was there last year he described it as possibly Thailand's most laidback island.

You don't want more island ideas do you? ;-)

#2 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 02:03

• dnev101

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013

So is Koh Chang more upmarket than lanta. more like Koh Samui?

we are looking for laid back bungalow resorts but still a bit of an atmosphere with a few restaurants and bars and places to explore but nothing too lively.

Any ideas are welcome :)

#3 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 03:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say Ko Chang is about halfway between Ko Lanta and Ko Samui development-wise.

#4 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 03:53

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

There's other nearby islands to both which would be sleepier options... There's also Ko Chang Noi in Ranongprovince -- it's about half the distance from Bangkok and is a seriously chilled out island... when one of our writers was there last year he described it as possibly Thailand's most laidback island.

I was on Ko Chang Noi at the end of November and it was extremely chilled - i really liked it, far more so than its more developed neighbour Ko Phayam. Admittedly I was there at the tail end of the rainy season, but it was very quiet - a curious mix of German couples, Scandinavian retirees and international hippies. The beaches aren't fantastic - but still good, the bungalows are well spread out & good value and there are a few of the standard (in that area) rasta beach bars - though all very low key. Oh - and everyone says hello! I stayed at the very friendly Sawasdee bungalows - it was B500 for a beachfront bungalow - though I may have got a bargain due to the season having not really started yet.

Although Ko Chang Noi is nearer Bangkok than Krabi - if you were flying, it wouldn't really make much difference

Its been about 14 years since I've been on (big) Ko Chang so im afraid i cannot help - as imagine you can no longer get a bamboo shack for B60 on the main beach!

#5 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 10:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"Bamboo shack for 60 baht"

Those were the days - very fond memories of a 60 baht beachfront shack on Haad Salad on Ko Pha Ngan in the mid 90s....

Sigh.

#6 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 18:43

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Let's not forget Koh Phayam :) next to little Koh Chang, I was there last year. Hitting Koh Lanta and Koh Jum this time.

#7 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 19:34

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 7

We've been to both islands (2010 + 2011) and liked Koh Chang the best. Mountains, waterfalls, nice little towns, laidback but lots to do and cleaner than Lanta. We are saving to go to Thailand again in 2014 (third time) and will definitely go to Koh Chang again.

Been to Koh Payam in March 2011 and it's really the most laidback island I've ever been, but it has no electricity at night so no airconditioning or fan. I couldn't sleep at night so we left after three days.

#8 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 09:44

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm not a big fan of air con, and having only power between 6 and 11pm did not bother me. I was there for 2 weeks. Keep in mind there are no ATM's on Koh Phayam or little Koh Chang so bring enough baht to cover your stay. I'd rather go back to Koh Payham than Ko Chang any day. Much more chill and relaxed.

#9 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 15:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best Area To Stay In Ko Phiphi, Ko Lanta, Ao Nang & Ko Chang ... By borgy on 13 Feb 2010 3 6179 20 Apr 2010
Bangkok, Chang Mai, Koh Lanta and Krabi help please! ... By boxerboo on 19 Feb 2014 10 711 21 Feb 2014
Tips? Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Sukhothai, Northern Thailand, Ko Chang area, Khao Yai, Krabi & islands ... By sophiepops on 28 Sep 2014 10 626 30 Sep 2014
Krabi area hotels ... By kriskeogh on 23 Nov 2011 3 779 28 Nov 2011
4 days in Krabi area ... By PurpleAlliums on 29 May 2011 1 1998 30 May 2011
Forest Resort at Ton Sai - Krabi Area ... By tezza on 31 Mar 2007 1 7957 29 Apr 2009
Ko Chang and surrounding area ... By davythelegend on 18 Mar 2009 1 2255 18 Mar 2009
Chang Mai and surrounding area ... By crashland on 31 Dec 2010 5 2878 25 Jan 2011
Koh Lanta to Krabi ... By salbruce on 15 Sep 2006 4 2148 16 Sep 2006
Ko Lanta or Krabi ... By westcoastmimi on 2 Nov 2009 10 4590 3 Nov 2009