Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

transport BKK- Ayutthaya ?

• madford65

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2013

Hi,
    I'm flying in to BKK(Suvarnabhumi) at 5:40 am, Monday, hope to spend a day in Ayuttaya and have booked on the night train from Ayutthaya to Nong Khai that night.
    What is quickest/easiest way to get from BKK to Ayutthaya? Bus to Don Muang and pick up the train, or go in to central Bangkok?
    Airport express bus to Hualumphong was appar terminated in June 2011, and I'm having trouble working out what the air rail link options are.
    thanks very much,

#1 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 02:00

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The bts and metro map is here:
    http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/images/master_routemap_nov2010_ok.jpg

You can make your way from Suvarnabhumi to Victory monument and take the vans to Ayuthayya.
    Or you can go from Suvarnabhumi to Bang Sue train station to get on the train to Ayuthayya,

#2 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 05:44

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

How much luagage are you carrying?

You arrive at 5:40 AM so you should get passes immigration pritty fast. Let's say 1 hour should be OK, so around 7 AM you should be ready to board a train or a taxi.

You could take the airportexpress to Makassan station and switch there to MTR, the subway. With the subway you go to Hualumpong station and leave at the trainstation exit, check the maps at the wall for the right exit. I forgot the number. From the trainstation you can pick one of the frequent trains going to Ayutthaya.

Else you could take airportexpress to Phayathai and switch to BTS to Victory monument and catch a minibus from there. If you don't like minibus, you can make your way with BTS to Mochit and take a big bus from there.

I would take a taxi to Mochit from airport and jump on a bus. But that depends on the budget.

#3 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 09:53

• madford65

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2013

thanks for your thoughts- appreciated. Sounds a bit more complicated than i thought for a day trip, after an overnight flight from Aust.How long do you think it would take, al up, to get from BKK to Ayutthaya?
    Maybe I should just try and get a direct flight from BKK to Vientiane, which is where I'm headed.

#4 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 17:30

• madford65

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2013

PS- haven't traveled in a long time and lost my nerve a bit. Liked the idea of a day at Ayutthaya and the train to Nong Khai but was starting to look like too much travel time.
    Maybe stupid but I booked a flight instead- Bangkok- Vientiane- gaining an extra 1 and 1/2 days.
    Bangkok Air was cheapr than Laos Airlines. Nok air was cheaper but still meant a day of travel.
    thanks again.

#5 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 19:19

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

trains are NEVER the fast way in TH-I mean the rolling open air museum that so many TF-users defend so much, not the electric airportlink. Above here has it right; ARL to Phyathai-then 1 stop by BTS or a 10min walk and a van=minibus from the Vict. Monument is waaaay faster.
    CHEAPer is the free shuttle bus to DMK-find your way to BESIDE that train station and hail the Ayut bigbus or van from there-route nr 901.

#6 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 07:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SOS: transport from Ayutthaya to Nonthaburi? ... By maldziunaite on 22 Aug 2012 2 1650 26 Aug 2012
Ayutthaya to Sukhothai transport ... By msaw on 3 Nov 2007 3 7983 3 Nov 2007