Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Method for booking Accomodation (Guesthouses, etc)

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

As the title says, looking for advice on the best method you've found for finding a place to stay in thailand! I visted for a month back in Aug/Sept 2011 and often used Agoda but upon checking their site now it seems the prices have gone up considerably from what I recall paying for the same resort back last year. Perhaps it's the time of year, but I didnt think the Gulf side was too busy this time of year.

Anyhow, if there are any sites anyone recommends let me know. Looking for some cheap options, am definitely ok with no AC, etc.

Also open to suggestions on places to stay in and around the Gulf islands of Samui, Tao and Phangan, as well as somewhere on Khao San Road in bangkok upon arrival!

Generally I'd say the budget is around 500B with the occasional splurge for perhaps 1000B and roughing it for 200B was also find with me the last time around.

Thanks in advance!
    Drew

#1 Posted: 7/1/2013 - 16:31

• Advertisement

• thaibeachlo-
    vers

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2006

Unless it's high high season, there is never a need to book ahead. Even just before Xmas, I could easily find rooms in Chiang Mai.

The only exception I can think of would be Had Rin at full moon party time.

#2 Posted: 7/1/2013 - 22:50

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

Understood. It was never a question about if it was necessary to book ahead. The intent of the question was for suggestions for if I preferred to book in advance. On my last trip I found that often times I was not able to negotiate prices even as low as the agoda price and found myself booking on agoda from the lobby.

It is always nice to have a backup plan to go to if there's no luck finding somewhere on foot.

#3 Posted: 7/1/2013 - 22:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If Agoda not offering rates to suite, try Hostelworld.com or Sawadee.com -- the latter has pretty good coverage in particular -- I've used both in the past without problem. I'd also look at contacting places direct as more and more are online every year and they're getting more web savvy.

As for specific recommendations, lots are listed in Travelfish under the specific destinations -- that's a good starting point.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 06:11

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

AVOID or just dont look at those suggestions- I often sit in 1 in/near KSR and BKK and a constant stream of people enter and have to be told its full. The main thing is; get that idiot mindset off that you need to reserve- in any of the tipical tourist/bekpek areas the majority of palces do not do that, would not know how to handle it. Just step over that fear- and get that old style guidebook that will show areas etc clearly- bisnisThai know where they have to open a new guesthse besdie the one that is always full.

#5 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 06:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Booking accomodation ... By burgisg on 16 Nov 2006 2 1603 16 Nov 2006