Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

6 weeks in Thailand. Suggestions?

• GhettoGepet-
    to

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

Hiya fellow travelers, first time posting.

So, I leave for a 6 week backpacking trip to Thailand next Monday (1/14). I have some ideas of places I'd like to go to and things I'd like to see. Being it's my first time there, I would like to hear from you what you would do, traveling all around the country on a six week trip (landing in BKK and quickly getting on the road) and must see places.

I'm on a pretty tight budget (1000bt - 2000bt a day), and my main interests are seeing temples, Muay Thai, maybe some beaches and just soaking up as much culture and refreshing my spirit. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. Cheers and happy travels to you all!

#1 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 17:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hmmm, for a first time visit to Thailand, I'd suggest a gladbag of destinations along the lines of the following and I've suggested some links after each for more reading:

Bangkok (food, temples, muay thai)
    Sukhothai OR Ayutthaya (food, historic ruins)
    Where to stay in Sukhothi
    More on Sukhothia

Chiang Mai (food, temples)
    Temples in CM

Pai OR Chiang Dao OR Soppong (all three are trekking centres and quite pretty. Pai is the most touristy of the 3)
    Chiang Dao getaway

Thailand has three main sets of islands, the east, the southeast and the southwest -- all three have good weather now. We have a lot of material on islands, and a lot would depend on if your main priority is to dive, party or chill out (I know there's a lot of grey in there, but with a bit more info from you can make some more helpful suggestions).

In the meantime, here's some links to a bunch more reading...
    Andaman sea islands
    Gulf islands
    East coast islands

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 20:35

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Make sure you visit a couple of the national parks. I recommend: Khao Sok NP (easy to visit if you're going to stay on the Gulf islands), Khao Luang NP/Ban Khiriwong Village/Nakhon Si Thammarat (if you do that one you're getting nicely off the tourist trail, which is a great feeling), Kaeng Krachan NP/Phetchaburi town (2 hours south of Bangkok).

#3 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 06:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary suggestions- 10 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos ... By Iwanttogetaway on 17 Apr 2011 11 5905 20 Apr 2011