Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Unsure what to do with two weeks in Thailand at the start of a 6 month SEA trip

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

I'm a 21 year old who has been working a hectic job for the past 6 months to fund a 6 month trip to SEA, my first travelling experience. I'm travelling solo and am a very outgoing person. I'm not planning on taking photos with tigers, paying for tours in large package groups etc.

I haven't really made a whole host of plans other than which months I plan on spending where; last two weeks in Jan in Thailand, Feb in Laos starting at Vientiane and heading roughly South, March in Cambodia entering NE and leaving SE, April travelling North through Vietnam, May in Bali, and June in Southern Thailand in the beautiful islands such as Ko Phi Phi and Koh Phan Ngan.

I'm very lucky in the sense that I am on my own so can change my plans easily, and have a long time to travel, but my question really is what would you do with your first two or three weeks if you were me? I am flying into Bangkok and will spend some time there, and would like to be at the Thailand-Laos border at Vientiane by the first few days in February. I have the option of, when I have had enough of Bangkok, just travelling north up Route 2 and stopping at some places on the way, but is there anywhere that would be worth the extra effort that you would recommend?

#1 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 08:14

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

The more obvious option would be to visit Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya while you are still in the greater Bangkok area. They are relatively close and easy to reach, and are interesting places to visit. After that, you could head up Route 2 as you mention with stops in places like Khorat or Khon Kaen or Udo(r)n. Places like Khorat or Khon Kaen or Udo(r)n aren't on the tourist trail, but they have a solid infrastructure and you'd be experiencing normal modern Thai life there.

Alternatively, you might consider heading halfway north first and visiting Phitsanulok and Sukhothai first. From there, you could catch a bus to Udo(r)n and then up towards the Friendship Bridge I in Nong Khai and into Laos. Either way, I'd recommend saving some time for Nong Khai too before you cross into Laos. I really like it there.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 08:28

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Good idea by exacto, the trip to Khorat and/or Khon Kaen are definitely worth it! And if you stop at these places you won't have to be on a bus for a 12h ride up north. You'll see at least a bit of regular Thai life without tourism.
    If you intend to go to Khorat, try to hitchhike from there to Khon Kaen or Udon Thani. Just get to the northern petrol station and ask it to people who are driving up north, an experience I loved doing before!

big point from above: take some time in Nong Khai (most people skip it and go directly to Laos) cause it's a lovely town and worth staying a few days and it'll hit you up right away into Laos afterwords.

#3 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 11:53

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

Do you feel it is safe to hitchhike solo as a 21 year old man? Obviously id use my initiative but I hadnt considered hitchhiking before.

#4 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 11:10

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"Do you feel it is safe to hitchhike solo as a 21 year old man? Obviously id use my initiative but I hadnt considered hitchhiking before."

I wouldn't do it myself and I am a big mean looking SOB with a little military training thrown in. Think about it a minute. You may be hitchhiking through some remote back area with everything you own and all alone! You may not think you are wealthy but compared so some local Thais you may be a mobile ATM. Desperate people may resort to desperate measures! They are are still looking for Jim Thompson and after leaving his bungalow for a short stroll was never heard of again!

Local transportation is cheap in Thailand. If you must resort to hitchhiking to get to different places you ought to stay for a shorter amount of time making more cash available to spend.

Remember to sort out your visas before you start buying plane tickets. From Thailand you can easily use cheap transportation for Laos, Cambodia and flights to Vietnam are not that expensive. Maybe consider round trip plane ticket to Bangkok. For Bali possibly RT to Denpasar and return to BKK might be cheaper than two one way flights from your home country. Two one way flights often cost more than a round trip. Just do the math.

#5 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 15:40

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"...21 year old who has been working a hectic job for six months..."

Hope you have an in demand skill that will allow you to up and quit work for so long and be easily re-hired. Some people in your age group may find it difficult to get another job in this economy after a long absence. Maybe a shorter holiday will allow you to stay in better places and have more fun too. Plus your company may allow you to leave for a month and hire you back.

Just a thought from an old fart.

#6 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 15:48

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

I never planned to hitchhike and have plenty of cash to not worry about it, it was just my sense of adventure battling with common sense that made me ask.

Im very lucky in that i'll be returning to begin a medicine degree, hence coming home in the summer... i do appreciate the comment though 'old fart" haha, you speak the truth for many my age.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 17:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 Weeks in Thailand!! Help where to start ... By cococommando on 9 Nov 2013 25 943 12 Nov 2013
3 weeks, malaysia/viet/thailand...please help me start! ... By slowtyper on 21 Jul 2013 3 629 21 Jul 2013
One month in Cambodia/Vietnam - Where to start?! Help! ... By norris_has_arrived on 6 Jun 2008 0 1727 6 Jun 2008
Thailand & Siam Reap - 2 weeks, in 2 weeks! Normal trip plan help + Fine Dining? ... By Ahleckz on 11 Nov 2013 3 642 13 Nov 2013
1 month trip to Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By Nixxypie on 27 Apr 2011 7 9636 28 Apr 2011
1 month Thailand - include side trip? Laos or Cambodia? ... By noakess on 15 Oct 2010 10 3207 21 Oct 2010
Couple beginner questions for a month long trip through Thailand ... By Zima on 10 Feb 2011 11 3007 12 Feb 2011
best accomodation option with kids on 3 month trip to thailand (islands) ... By ruthc on 25 Aug 2012 0 915 25 Aug 2012