Thailand forum

Nan, Chiang Rai & Tha Ton, Chiang Dao loop

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

After a month on Koh Lanta my real adventure starts here...any suggestions for my planned route in mid-feb? Does it make sense?
    Just want to relax, be in nature, days are flexible. - Start Feb. 11 - Must leave Thailand March 1st (end of visa)

BK to Lampang - night train, bus to Nan - 3- 4 days?
    Nan to Chiang Rai - 3 - 4 days?
    Chiang Rai to Tha Ton by boat? Or the other way around - 3 -4 days? - should I cut one of the above? add more or less days to another?
    Tha Ton to Chiang Dao (cave) - 2 days? Is local transport difficult?
    Chiang Mai - 1 - 2 days (been before)
    Chiang Mai to BK - night train? - Could take bus - Bus to Chanthaburi (2 days) - any shorter route here if I want to avoid BK?
    Cross border at Pialin to go to Battambang, Cambodia

Thx

#1 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 19:59

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I realize not many people do this route, but it's worth a try :)

#2 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 05:50

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Here's a route I would do again
    http://goo.gl/maps/76QZn

Lampang IMO isn't terribly interesting or scenic, but the road from there to Phayao is nice. Otherwise maybe just start and stop in Chiang Mai and do a loop via Phayao, Nan, Chiang Kham, Chiang Rai, Thaton, Chiang Dao... There is bus service all along these routes, but of course you could rent a motorbike in Chiang Mai and... Perfect time of year for it although smog could pick up in late Feb (doesn't usually get bad until March). Food for thought anyway.

#3 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 06:34

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Lampang is where the train stops, I was planning to leave right away for Nan [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] I don't think Chiang Kham has much to see, as a motorbike is not an option unfortunately - thanks.

#4 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 14:02

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Lampang is where the train stops"
    Huh? The northern line terminates at Chiang Mai, then you're just a 10-minute ride to Arcade bus station for Nan.
    Timetable here

#5 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 06:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a great trip @CaptainBob -- the road from Chiang Kham till it hits 1080 is a cracker.

@atmtl it you get off the train at Den Chai you can get a songtheaw to Phrae (which is a good spot in itself) then get a bus to Nan -- faster than going from Lampang (unless you want to go there of course).

I THINK the bus from Nan to Chiang Rai will go via Phayao though, so you will miss some of the scenery. CaptainBob's route that I mention can be done by songtheaw and local local bus, but very time consuming.

Note on the Tha Ton boat thing you can stop along the way -- doesn't need to be done in one hit.

3-4 days in Nan itself is a fair bit of time -- unless you're planning on going trekking, visiting Bo Kleua or one of the national parks...

#6 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 06:38

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

really depends on your interests...there's plenty to see for those who like temple architecture & the countryside life. anyway i'll just dump the info here for future reference (now that i can't dig up my past posts on TT):

Lampang
    spent 5D4N there just cycling around town (along the river, through the neighbourhoods, & visiting many Burmese-style temples; special mention for Wat Pongsanuk & its displays of Lanna Buddhist art, UNESCO chose this temple & Wat Xieng Mouane in Luang Prabang plus one more in Xishuangbanna for their Buddhist Art preservation programme) & through rice fields to neighbouring Ko Kae district (2 famous temples - Wat Lai Hin Luang Kaew Chang Yuen & Wat Prathat Lampang), plus enjoying the old buildings & weekend 'walking street' along Talat Kao Rd (there's also a very small 'walking street' in the old neighbourhood of the city - Ban Thamma Oh - think on Wednesdays only, can't remember).

Nan province
    Nan city is nice, but spent most of my time in the small towns north of it (Tha Wang Pha, Pua, Chiang Klang) to see Tai Lue temple architecture & weaving (to see this elsewhere you'd have to travel to Muang Ngeun, Hongsa & Ou Neua in northern Laos) & the countryside. you can find & eat khai phaen (riverweed) in this area like in northern Laos, just that they season it differently (simpler, but still tastes great) here. haven't been to Doi Phukha National Park or Bo Kleua.

Nan to Chiangrai via Phu Langka, Chiang Kham & Thoeng
    see this: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/5655_remote-northern-thailand--phu-lang-ka
    you'll pass Tham Sakoen just before the bus makes the climb up to Phu Langka Resort:
    http://thaiventuretime.blogspot.sg/2012/02/tham-sakoen-national-park.html
    agree that Chiang Kham wouldn't interest most tourists, but if you pass through, the Burmese-style wooden Wat Nantaram is worth a stop.
    (somtam2000 - all except one of the Nan-Chiangrai buses go by the faster boring route via Phayao, only one bus per day goes by the slower scenic route via Song Khwae - Phu Langka - Chiang Kham - Thoeng)
    from Thoeng, it's possible to head northeast to Namtok Pusang (waterfall with warm water), Phu Chi Fa & Doi Phatang, but difficult without own wheels. in the peak season there's one van per day from Chiangrai old bus station to Phu Chi Fa that will pass through Thoeng along the way.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 21:59

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Thanks for these tips, I thought it was faster to go to Nan from Lampang, thx for correcting me. I knew the end of the line was Chiang Mai :) I'll look into these other options. Don't want to move too, If I you think I should cut something let me know...

#8 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 07:39

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

After looking things over a bit, I think I'm spreading myself a little thin, moving too much, so I think I'll focus on Chiang Rai, Thaton & Chiang Dao :)

#9 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 21:10

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

So this would be my new route - BK to Chiang Mai - night train, Bus to Chiang Dao/Fang/ThaTon - Boat to Chiang Rai, Back to Chiang Mai - I have about 13 - 14 days. Will do a trek, a few day trips to villages etc

#10 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 04:30

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Dao/Mae Hong Son loop ... By amz155 on 31 Dec 2008 14 3973 8 Jan 2009
Can you rent a motorbike in Chiang Khong? Phu Chee Fah - Phu Lang Ka loop? ... By phishsticks on 19 Oct 2011 1 1988 12 Jan 2012
Advice Needed: Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Maesai (Tachileik)-Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong-Huey Xai ... By Dyno on 12 May 2012 4 2673 15 May 2012
Short-term villa rental in Chiang Mai / Chiang Dao ... By placeshifter on 14 Aug 2010 2 2944 15 Aug 2010
Traveling from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and Houei Xai (Laos) ... By Russian on 1 Jun 2010 0 4229 1 Jun 2010
Hanoi --> Vientane --> Luang Prabang --> Chiang Rai --> Chiang Mai ... By sophierose87 on 11 Jun 2010 2 4582 18 Jun 2010
Chiang Maan Residence, old city, Chiang Mai Province ... By nalinee78 on 30 Oct 2006 2 3692 3 Mar 2007
Chiang Mai to Chiang Kong/Huai Xai quickly/overnight ... By amarradia on 10 Jul 2009 1 2524 11 Jul 2009
From Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and later to Houei Xai (Laos) ... By Russian on 1 Jun 2010 4 6486 10 Aug 2011
Travel Chiang Rai/Chiang Khong/Laos ... By GussieG on 9 Sep 2006 7 4025 18 Sep 2006