Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Cycling trip - Bangkok to Singapore Via the East Coast of Malaysia

• Enduro

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

Hi,

I'm looking at doing a cycle trip from Bangkok to Singapore over 4 weeks in March. Although I've had a lot of experiance in cycle touring this is my first time with the Bike in Asia. I was wondering if anyone could advise the best way of getting out of the Bangkok area as I've heard it's very busy on the roads ( like any big city) Is it possible to take my bike on a train and head to the outskirts ? Or does anyone know of a bike friendly way out ?

I've been reading plenty of warnings about the Narathwat and Pattani areas down south. Are they dangerious as they sound and do you think a cycle tourist would have any problems getting through. I really want to stick to the East Coast of Malaysia and if I enter via the west Coast of Thailand that would mean a long detour via the Central Tablelands.

Thanks in advance for any advice given

#1 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 21:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Enduro,

Yes you can stick your bike on the train (or bus).

I'm going to point you in the direction of some blog entries written by a couple of Travelfish writers who cycled from Bangkok to Singapore about a year ago. It's split across three blogs and a bit out of order for some random reason unfortunately, but you should be able to make sense of it.

The Thailand section is here this one in particular covers the trip out of Bangkok, but is a bit vague on routing.
    A brief on the Malaysian bit
    Arrival in Sg

They asked me about the far south of Thailand (as I've travelled through there quite a bit, though not recently) and in the end I advised them against cycling through there. I would travel by bus or train through there, but I think cycling brings an extra element of risk -- even though foreigners are not being targeted -- and I wouldn't do it personally. If you wanted to stick to the Malaysian coast, you could get a minibus (stick the bike on the roof) or the train -- from Hat Yai to Sungai Kolok and then it's about 200 metres to the border.

I've also very recently travelled along the east coast of Malaysia (from Kuantan to Kuala Terengganu ) and I'd imagine is great for cycling - certainly flat! I particularly recommend Kuala Terengganu -- I liked it a lot, and if you've more questions about that stretch, let me know.

cheers

#2 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 21:38

• YourThaiGui-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2013

Hello,

I have cycled from KL to Bangkok (and beyond). It's doable and it's fun.

I don't know from Singapore to KL and I would not have cycled into KL expect that's where I was flying from.

I have GPS route, if you're using GPS.. the Thailand section is especially decent. I was not happy with the KL section but it was all ride-able.

I've cycled the 'red zone' in Thailand down along the Thai border and know many other that have also, it's a lovely untouched area mostly unspoilt by development, if you believe the hype is not safe. but i think you've got more chance being run over my bus on your trip and any other issues.

My strava account has all my GPS route from my latest trip with was every province in Thailand and 9,000kms

http://app.strava.com/athletes/198273

#3 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 04:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cycling from Singapore-BKK up the Malaysian East Coast ... By flexo_24 on 12 May 2011 0 1631 12 May 2011
Road trip USA - East coast to West coast ... By svinoth03 on 12 Sep 2012 0 779 12 Sep 2012
East Coast of Malaysia in August ... By starfish on 17 Feb 2011 9 4289 9 Jun 2011
East coast of peninsular Malaysia during Ramadan ... By georg066 on 15 Jul 2012 1 1608 19 Jul 2012
South Thailand to East Coast Malaysia - any other ideas? ... By goodquestion on 28 Mar 2008 0 2089 28 Mar 2008
East coast or West coast thailand? ... By steffanmathias on 20 Oct 2008 3 15289 25 Oct 2008
East coast vs. West coast? ... By olsons on 20 Aug 2007 2 4286 27 Aug 2007
East Coast to West Coast! ... By Glome on 5 Nov 2011 2 1906 6 Nov 2011
First time travellers! 10 week trip Thailand>Malaysia>Singapore ... By rledez1990 on 12 Mar 2010 1 3335 13 Mar 2010
Traveling to Saigon, Singapore, Malaysia, Bangkok, and Siem Reap ... By lachan on 16 May 2011 0 3975 16 May 2011