Thailand forum

Possible Visa Trouble: Onward Ticket Help

• adammcintyre

Click here to learn more about adammcintyre
    Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I'm off to Thailand on the 28th January, flying from Manchester to Dubai to Bangkok with Emirates.

I'm supposed to have an appointment with the Thai Consulate in Liverpool, tomorrow.

However, heavy snow is forecasted tonight and I've just been called by the Consulate to let me know that they may not be open due to the weather (only Britain could shut down at the first hint of snow...)

I am applying for a tripple entry so I can stay in Thailand from 90days.

I know it's 11 days until I depart and I may have time to get to the Consulate, however, in case the chance of a tripple entry is out of the window, please can someone offer some advice on where to go when my 30 days is up and how to/where to book onward tickets online.

Something cheap, like a train ticket to somewhere else cheap where I can stay for 30days no-hassle would be nice :)

Can anyone recommend anything?

Many thanks in advanced!

#1 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 12:43

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Air Asia have cheap tickets - a big sale for travel Aug 2013 onward, at the moment. I just picked up one for AUD$11 - a possible throw-away but it will serve the purpose for proof of onward travel when applying for an extended visa for Indonesia.

I know you need something sooner than that so the sale won't be of use, but they may have cheap 'last minute' tickets available. Use AirAsiaPlus website to more quickly identify cheapest available flights, then book on AirAsia's website.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 13:22

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

They rarely ask for proof of onward travel, and a triple entry visa would give you 3 X 60 Days not 90. In any event, after your 30 day visa exemption all you need to do is exit the country & fly back in to get another free 30 day exemption, otherwise by land you will only get 15. Cheap flights can be booked via AirAsia or various other low cost airlines.

#3 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 13:26

• adammcintyre

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Many thanks busylizzy & altmtl, that information is helpful! :D

Would you be able to suggest going anywhere in particular? If I'm going to be flying out and back in I may as well spend a few weeks somewhere.

Also @altmtl, utter fail right there on the maths front haha! My bad!

#4 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 13:45

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Well, if you're going to be in Southern Thailand during your trip, popping down into Malaysia is a good option. As a Brit you'll get 90 days on arrival.

UPDATE: whoops, the poster above got in before I'd finished typing. Sorry for the duplicate info.

#5 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 15:04

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I would go to Penang, as there are no visa costs for Malaysia. If you want to stay a longer time I'd pick Cambodia.

#6 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 15:04

• adammcintyre

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks altmtl & antoniamitchell, are there any terms surrounding that 90days?

Do I have to turn up via air or with proof of onward travel, or can I just rock up?

Thanks again for your advice!

#7 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 15:06

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

You get the 90 days in Malaysia regardless of how you arrive.

I don't think you need proof of onward travel. Certainly no one asked me for proof when I rocked up.

#8 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 16:45

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1. train tix do NOt count and have just been removed from webbooking anyway a day or 2 ago.
    2.as above_ =you do not need to show proof of exit when applying-they are more interested in hearing that you are not clandestinely seeking work. And dont be surprised if they refuse the full 3. Its not 3x3 anyway-its 3x2-each extendable with 1 month extra by paying.
    3.AAasia tix at 11AU$ do NOT include the taxes- these are at least 700 TH every time=foreign tax, but this is refundable after a few monthes for 600 THB and lost of patience.
    4.EK is VERY strict about looking for visa or exit tickets (which as such are only needed when no visa are held) and they may even-if they think its not to the rules- refuse the onward flite from DBX
    5. do NOT expect the full knowledge for Thai visa on this site- go to thaivisa.com

#9 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 02:58

• adammcintyre

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Thank you for the feedback AntoniaMitchell & CaptainBKK, we managed to get to the Thai Consulate in Liverpool yesterday.

My two friends had their tripple entries granted no hassle, I on the other hand were informed that I needed to get a new passport as my passport was 'significantly damaged' (it had a tear in one of the pages)

I went and had a new passport printed up at the Passport & Immigration Office, however by the time I received my new passport, the Thai Consulate had closed (early), so looks like I'm going to have to trek back up to Liverpool on Monday!

Apparently, she had granted my visa and only noticed the tear in my passport when she was going to stick the visa in.

Fingers crossed I can get it sorted this week!

#10 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 07:10

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Adam,
    Sounds like you've had quite a busy week, all that traipsing about (and in the snow, no less!). Hope you get it all sorted on Monday.
    Enjoy the trip!
    Antonia

#11 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 08:02

• adammcintyre

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

BOOM! Got the Visa!
    Done, dusted. Boo-yah!
    Let the travelling commence!

#12 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 14:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm envious... very envious!

Enjoy your travels....

#13 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 18:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa query - Flying to Laos from Thailand without onward ticket ... By travelingrich on 16 Jan 2009 2 3171 27 Jan 2009
need onward ticket? ... By Manticore on 27 Jan 2008 0 2030 27 Jan 2008
Do I really need an onward ticket? ... By NowhereMan on 8 Jul 2013 2 1025 8 Jul 2013
e ticket as proof of onward travel? ... By ee104 on 28 Oct 2008 1 4257 29 Oct 2008
Australia-Singapore, Malaysia- no onward ticket. ... By fox80 on 15 Sep 2010 3 3252 15 Sep 2010
Siem Reap - Bangkok..Onward ticket required?!! ... By jbolger on 26 Mar 2007 3 2870 27 Jun 2011