Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

leaving for thailand June 9th

• aaron_1991

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

hey guys and girls
    lookin to pack my bag and leave my small town for a long holiday on the 9th June 2013 on a one way ticket to thailand. want to go thailand to laos, vietnam, cambodia then bak to thailand then head down to malaysia and singapore. Then i'll be flying over to oz to hopefully work out there and earn some money for the next part of this holiday where ever that may be..
    just a few thing i would like to know about these countries:
    - best UK debt card to get that gives you free overseas withdraws
    - best insurance company to go with
    - good place to stay in bangkok for my first few nights stay
    -where best to learn to scubba dive?
    -are the full moon parties the full crack or could i skip this part and have a crazy night out somewhere else?
    -is the tubbing in laos still gonna be legal in june/july time?
    -can you do any of the tours out there on the cheap or is it best to book them up over here?
    -what are a few must see on this rote?
    -if you've been beforeis there any tips or advise you could give as this is my first time traverling and will be headin out there on me own?

also if anyones headin out around that time with a few mates or solo would be good to hear from you too.

Aaron

#1 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 23:41

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hi there !

I can answer a few of your questions - in June the conditions are lovely on Koh Tao to learn to dive and it is one of the cheapest places in the area to do so.

My own personal opinion on the full moon parties is that you can have a better night out in other locations - but I am a bit older and its not my idea of fun - it depends - its like a big rave but on a beach - but too much for me - but Im sure others will have their own opinions too!

Traveling on your own you're going to meet lots of new people, keep your wits about you and common sense in check and you will be fine - do some research, know what you would like to do but remain a bit flexible too - you will meet people and join up and travel with them which is easy if you dont have everything booked to the day !

Have fun!
    Ayesha

#2 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 05:15

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

June is the start of rainy season for much of the region, but the gulf of Thailand sits in a rain shadow then so your best bet for scuba diving is probably Ko Tao, etc. in the lower Gulf.

All the tubing bars along the river near Vang Vieng have been shut down with no indication they will come back anytime soon. You can still go tubing of course, just not with loud music pumping and giant swings/zips/slide/etc. that have killed people. Much more peaceful these days.

Don't book any tours beforehand. You always get the best deals booking as locally as possible. The only thing you might want to book in advance is your first few night's accommodation (guesthouse in Bangkok). From there just take it as it comes.

Take a look at guesthouses in the Khao San Road area
    http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/khao_san_road/all

#3 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 07:08

• aaron_1991

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

thanks for your comments ayesha and captain bob gonna take them on board and look in the the scuba diving on that island at some point of the journey probs will be on my way down to Singapore.. captain bob do you recommend any guest houses on khao san road??

Thanks
    Aaron

#4 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 19:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Leaving Thailand on 21/22 of June? Want to get rid of unwanted gear? Dont throw it out!!! ... By irieman on 28 May 2010 1 1009 28 May 2010