Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Weather in Thailand November 1st time backpackers

• Kevandjace

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Me and my girlfriend have our hearts set on backpacking from Bangkok to the islands and Cambodia this November 2013 we have never done this and we are both very excited about it after some brief research we found the weather varies on the different islands around this time we want to catch as much sun as possible and see some beautifull deserted islands party and see some culture in Cambodia any suggestions on which islands will be the best in November as my girlfriend is now concerned about the weather mainly the word monsoon any help will be greatly appreciated thanks Kevin and jacey

#1 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 07:17

• Advertisement

• Kevandjace

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Forgot to add the dates where traveling from the 5th of nov until the 5th of December our plan is to spend a few days in Bangkok khao San road pick some people's brains sleeper train to the south catch a ferry to the islands back to Bangkok then fly into Cambodia visit the Angkor temples quad bike stay a few nights there was gonna do a few islands there but not sure about the weather there back to Bangkok maybe kanchamabari ? Bangkok them home?? Does this sound achievable and any other suggestions would be great

#2 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 07:25

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

In November the Andaman Coast islands in Thailand are great weather-wise. Here's some further reading to help narrow down your choice as there are quite a few islands to choose from:

Thai islands for nature lovers
    Thai islands to lose yourself on
    Andaman Sea Island hopper

And there is a BUNCH of stories on these islands on the Thailand blog here

Kanchanaburi will also be good in Nov.

For the Cambodian islands, this piece should be your starting point.

Weatherwise -- all the above will be brilliant in November.

You've got a month, so I'd suggest, read the above links to get an idea of what islands work for you. Pick two in Thailand, one in Cambodia.

Then:
    Arrive Bangkok, hang out. 2 days
    Train/plane/bus to the south and see the two islands you've settled on, then back to Bkk. 12 days
    Kanchanaburi 2 days
    Fly to Siem Reap, see Angkor Wat 2 days
    Overland to Phnom Penh hang out 1 day
    Overland to Sihanoukville overnight then to island of choice 3 days
    Transfer back to Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh, flight back to Bangkok and exit.

There goes a month!

Too rushed? Drop either Kanchanaburi or maybe the Cambodian islands - difficult call. Would advise flying some legs to save time and given how far in advance you are planning you'll brobably get some very very good fares with AirAsia and the other low cost carriers.

Hope that helps.

#3 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 21:26

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The area which usually gets the most rain in November is the lower gulf of Thailand (Ko Tao, Ko Phangan, Ko Samui). Meanwhile November usually spells the end of the SW monsoon season so things should be drying out on the west coast and north of Thailand and Cambodia. The transition to dry season can be quite gradual so maybe a few late-day thundershowers but increasing chance of sunny weather toward December. No need to fear the word "monsoon" it is a fact of life here in the tropics, and those sudden short showers can be refreshing.

#4 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 01:36

• ProfessorFa-
    rt

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013

I wouldn't let the weather affect your plans too much.

As Bob says, a good downpour can often bring some much needed relief from the heat. It can also be quite romantic, kicking back on one's balcony with a refreshing cocktail in one hand and the missus in the other while the rain crashes all around.

#5 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 02:17

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ditto the 3 above. Gotta add that the southern Gulf's wetter November is usually not too bad but every now and then (about one year in 4/5, not necessarily on a regular basis) this area has a shocker with prolonged rain and wind - prolonged rain is not real common in a normal Thai wet season: all my wet season trips have seen plenty of sunshine between the showers/storms and never a full day lost to rain.
    I have to add that if I really really wanted to see Samui, Phangan and Tao in November I wouldn't hesitate - hell, that was the situation on my first Thailand trip and I got real good weather.

Note anecdotally and statistically wet season tends to end in the eastern Gulf earlier - so places like the Ko Chang islands and Ko Samet may be the safest in early November.

#6 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 03:11

• ProfessorFa-
    rt

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013

Snag is that Samet and Chang get rammed with cheapskate Russkies in November young Terrence....although some of the crumpet is of the highest quality.

#7 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 03:40

• Kevandjace

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

guys thanks so much for this info proffesorfa-rt cracke dme up cocktail in one hand missus in the other admin that info is brilliant after research most of what you said i have found to be the same but hearing from people who have been is reassuring to hear should ease her worries a bit our plan is a bit different where thinking bangkok for 3 nights
    sleeper train to phuket 1night there no more heard its a bit of a nightmare
    then onto phi phi for 2nights inc day trip to maya bay
    then onto ko lantra for 3 nights
    then make the trek to ko lipe for 5 nights
    then either back to mainland somehow and acorss to
    ka tao and koh phangan
    back to surat thani to fly to bangkok
    stay there for a few nights recoup
    then the mission to cambodia by land train taxi and all that polava
    2 3 nights seeing the temples and sunrise
    then down to ko chang
    and maybe 1 other before heading to bangkok for the last few nights
    if all permiting somehow fit in a trip to kanachamburi or however you spell it
    we really love the cheap nothing to do vibe so im gonna look into the other island to loose yourself on link probabaly gonna make a few ammendments along the way but any advice is appreciatted guys

#8 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 06:19

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ah yes Prof - hot Russian bikini babes and their big beefy beer bellied blokes in sluggos (Speedos) - top people watching material. And I can out-cheapskate them all.

#9 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 04:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Saxib
    May I recommend that you delete the days staying at a location. I agree the idea of ambling along the the coast from Bangkok to Trat is a good idea (since you want to go to Cambodia), crossing into Cambodia and heading to Siem Reap and from there to PP and then fly back to Bangkok for you flight. But if you build this fixed itinerary with days at each place, in a way you are defeting the purpose. SEA is about chilling more than anything else. Following a tight schedule isn't chilling.

#10 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 20:37

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand in November: good weather??,,, ... By breaker15 on 11 Oct 2010 9 34604 27 Oct 2010
Weather & impact in Thailand, next week & November ... By somanights on 10 Oct 2013 6 1070 12 Oct 2013
first time in Thailand, November~ ideas, suggestions? ... By pamjane on 21 Jun 2009 12 3554 23 Jun 2009
2 weeks in Thailand in November - first time to Thailand/Asia ... By cbarns on 7 Feb 2013 3 2331 10 Feb 2013
Solo first time Traveller to Thailand from November onwards. Looking for advise and company :) ... By rubyforanparkin on 15 Jul 2012 11 3965 22 Jul 2012
First time backpackers / 2.5 week itinerary ... By scudz on 27 Aug 2013 10 3347 24 Jan 2014
November Weather ... By vwgtivr6 on 4 Nov 2014 3 231 5 Nov 2014
First-time backpackers, planning on spending 18months in SE Asia... Crazy? ... By swampgum on 11 Jul 2011 29 5624 14 Jul 2011
weather in november on the islands ... By mickdaly10 on 27 Jul 2010 5 7984 28 Jul 2010
Con Dao island weather in November? ... By NicolasCA on 31 Oct 2007 2 3951 6 Nov 2007