Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time in Thailand - itinerary advice?

• StevenBX

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2013

My partner and I are thinking about a trip to Thailand this year. It will be the first trip for both of us, and we'd be keen to see a few different sides to Thailand. At the moment, I have a vague idea of the itinerary in my head, which I think gives a nice balance of relaxation and time in each place versus seeing a couple different places. I'd love to get the opinions of people more experienced than us in travelling to this part of the world though!

At the minute, my very vague itinerary is as follows:
    * Fly into Bangkok from London, and spend approx 3-4 days in Bangkok. Potentially do a day trip to Ayutthaya or Kanchanaburi .
    * Fly from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and spend approx 2 days there.
    * Fly from Chiang Mia to Phuket and spend approx 3 days there.
    * Fly from Phuket to Bangkok and spend another 2-3 days there, doing another day trip to Ayutthaya or Kanchanaburi (potentially staying for a night in the latter).
    * Fly from Bangkok to London.

Is the above achievable or is it over-stretching our time (approx 2 weeks) there? If so, I think Chiang Mai would be the best place to cut out (?). We have two seasons in which we can visit, dictated by my partner's work - either sometime from April to October, or October to March. I gather than visiting from April to October would be much preferable to visiting from October to March; is that correct?

Any advice, recommendations, etc. which you could offer to help us firm up our plans would be much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 09:16

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If those are the three principal places you want to go (Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket ) then I would suggest you spend your first day in Bangkok after arrival and then fly to Chiang Mai. After three days there head to Phuket and after your planned three days there the rest in Bangkok in one swoop. I find November through March preferable.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 11:39

• emfuzzyduck

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2013

Hi StevenBX,

Your plan sounds perfectly achievable and my advice would be not to miss out on Chiang Mai or Kanchanaburi as those were the highlights of our trip. I agree with Mad Macs suggestion of just doing Bangkok once to cut out on travelling, though I would be tempted to either to fly directly to Chiang mai, or fly home from Phuket (both connect through Bangkok but you will save time with checking in and out if you do it this way).

In my opinion Kanchanaburi is too far to just do in a day trip (though people do). It was really nice when we checked into our hotel and the other people on our trip were told to get ready for the return bus ride home (ouch). Also we got more time to really get a feel for the place and it really does deserve it.

We went in Late November and although we did get a couple of rainy days down south, the weather was fine most of the time but we were unable to visit Ayutthaya due to flooding.

Good Luck with your plans

#3 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 13:21

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

Agree your itinerary is achievable. And yes, I agree with madmac regarding leaving Bangkok at the end. My first 2 trips I left Bangkok at the end to do all my shopping (so you don't have to cart it all around with you).

#4 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 04:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First time in SEA, think our itinerary may be too optimistic.. advice please! :) ... By sparklesinthesky on 21 Jan 2011 9 1923 23 Jan 2011
itinerary advice - First time with kids, 5,7,9 years. SE Asian destinations? ... By quennoo on 4 Jan 2012 8 2804 8 Sep 2012
First time in South East Asia, itinerary for 3 weeks! Any advice greatly appreciated! ... By Pixa2012 on 14 Jan 2012 7 15249 12 Feb 2012
Advice on going to Thailand for first time. ... By joeg on 17 Dec 2009 16 3316 21 Dec 2009