KoLipe to KoNgai or Kradan then Ko Lanta

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

We will be staying on Ko Lipe for a few days then off to Ko Lanta.On the way to Ko Lanta, we have decided to explore Ko Ngai and Ko Kradan and Ko Mook first. Which island would be best to stay at, and where? We are in our fifties like some comforts(flashpacker)

#1 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 14:12

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I wrote this for another site, and travelfish does not accept copy and paste stuff well, so you will have to excuse the blips:

WHICH IS BEST - NGAI, KRADAN OR MUK?
    A tough call.

All 3 have nice beaches. I’d say Kradan’s main eastern beach has a very slight advantage sand and water wise. Like Ngai, it faces east with a backing of hills. Muk's Farang Beach faces west and is exposed in wet season. Muk's Sivalai spit is more protected.
    Accommodation wise all 3 have a good selection these days. Maybe Muk has a shortage of midrange –Charlie is a flashpacker pretending to be midrange and theSivalai is top end. Kradan’s Seven Seas is really a midrange pretending to be top end. I think Muk has a greater range of budget joints and the prices tend to be more reasonable.
    Both Ngai and Kradan have nice rainforest walks, but Kradan's are much shorter.The rainforest is harder to access on Muk. However it has longer walks on its road system plus two village areas where you can check local culture.
    Snorkelling is best at Kradan, not bad at Ngai, not much off the beach at Muk.
    Muk has the incomparable Emerald Cave, but you need a boat from accommodation on that island so it won't be all that much better than boating in from Ngai or Kradan.
    All 3 are quiet islands with not much in the way of nightlife. However Muk has two bars at Mookies and on the south headland of Farang Beach which are not bad places to hang. Maybe the midrange places on Ngai plus Ngai Villa’s beach bar can offer the same. I was cutting the ZZZZZs not too long after sunset and wouldn’t know.
    Muk is easier and cheaper to access from the mainland.

Thing is, if you stay at one you can easily visit the others on the daytrips just about every resort can arrange. And if I had a week in the area I would split it between 2 islands (but then I find 3 days in one location enough and like to move on frequently – you may prefer sitting back and relaxing). I would make one of my 2 Ko Muk – the others are sufficiently close in character to make either a nice contrast to Muk.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 20:29

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Okay, where to stay? Well I reckon Muk is least attractive of an attractive 3 - not much between Kradan and Ngai. Maybe Kradan's better coral tips the scales - then again if you are into trekking ......

People have different definitions of flashpacker, but I'm thinking the newer aircon bungalows at Kradan Beach Resort and Coral Garden (also Kradan) might fit the bill. But I bet they aint cheap. Kalume has aircon - but similarly aint a bargain.
    The Kradan standout IMHO is Paradise Lost in the jungle but I'm not sure if Wally has any aircon bungalows. Certainly the new 1200baht fan bungalow he proudly showed me last month was very nice. Wally has very good food - half the guests from other resorts eat there.

On Ngai places like Ko Ngai Villa and Seafood charge flashpacker rates for their basic bungalows and I don't know if they have any aircon jobs. From planning previous visits I know midrangers Fantasy and Ko Ngai Resort (the latter is on its own separate beach but it isn't hard to reach the main eastern beach most tide levels and all tide levels if they have repaired the boardwalk) often offer their cheapest rooms at flashpacker rates on websites like travelfish's associated Agoda. They have the pluses of inclusive breakfast and pools.

On Muk Charlie has flashpacker rooms. I have an idea Rubber Tree up behind Charlie may have one or two as well - their bigger bungalows look real nice. There are some new places over near the Sivalai spit which probably can do the job - but this area is not as attractive as Farang/Charlie Beach.

#3 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 20:51

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Thanks Tezza I will take your advice and try to get a few nights at Paradise Lost and I've read your other
    advice on Ko Ngai and will try to get a few nights at the Cliff resort. We don't need the AC but will take it
    if it's available, just a clean place to sleep and a good place to eat.

#4 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 20:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting to Ko Kradan from Koh Lanta ... By aalarcon on 8 Mar 2012 5 3558 21 Mar 2012
Where is the best diving - Ko Jum / Ko Lanta / Ko Kradan??? ... By alexlazarus on 20 Aug 2009 4 5558 22 Aug 2009
Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan ... By Arigato9 on 27 Jan 2013 2 1707 28 Jan 2013