Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

beach in February - Andaman coast vs Gulf

• adriana_o

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2013

Hi,

we'll be travelling in southern Thailand in February. After spending few days in Khao Sok National Park we wanted to spend some 5 days on a beach - apparently we should be on the 'right' side of Thailand at this time of the year but no idea which one it is! So two questions:

1. Andaman coast or Gulf in February?
    2. Any recommendations for a children friendly island / beach within reasonable distance from Khao Sok / Krabi / Phuket? We'll be travelling with two small children (less than 4 years old) and joined by grandparents so wouldn't want to end up in a techno party destination...

Many thanks,
    Adriana

#1 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 04:31

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

Either coast is beautiful in February -- take your pick. If you want really comfortable and family-friendly, Ko Samui is easy to get to from Khao Sok.

But Khao Sok is actually closer to the Andaman side... Ko Kho Khao , which is a very family-friendly and quiet island with expansive beaches, is directly west of Khao Sok and would also be easy to reach. The downside of Ko Kho Khao is that, while beautiful, it doesn't have the stunning aquamarine water and white sand beaches of some of the islands nearby. If you want a taste of that, you could do a day tour of the Similans, which could be booked from a travel office on Ko Kho Khao.

You could also stay on the Ko Similan or Ko Surin , which is the most idyllic of the islands I've been to and wouldn't be too difficult to get to from Khao Sok. However both are run by national parks so they're only suitable if you like the 'unspoilt' outdoors. You could camp in tents on the beach or book a cottage, which wouldn't be a bad idea for the family. I recall that Ko Surin has a private family cabin on a secluded part of Ao Mai Ngam beach that sleeps eight. I think it's fan only and it's pretty simple, but they do have a few air-con bungalows on the busier side of the island near national park headquarters too.

Also accessible from Khuraburi (the launching point for Ko Surin) is Ko Phra Thong, which is similar but even more remote than Ko Kho Khao... Phra Thong is really a charming island with a real "far off paradise" feel. The golden sand beaches there stretch for what seems like forever and they're always practically empty. Golden Buddha Resort there comes to mind as a possible option for the family... It's actually a community of foreign homeowners who have beach houses which are rented out by the resort when the owners aren't around. It's expensive, but I highly doubt you'd be disappointed there.

I haven't been to most of the islands around Phuket , but Ko Yao Yai or Ko Yao Noi might be good options. Of course, Phuket itself has some great upscale resorts and lots of activities -- but the scene can get pretty seedy in the bigger beach towns.

Ko Lanta might also be a good option if you're willing to head a bit further south.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 05:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

There's no real difference in weather either side that time of year and both have really attractive locations. I reckon my decision, particularly if travelling with kids, would come down to ease of access.
    And here the Andaman coast wins hands down. Nice beaches are closer and you don't have to hang around waiting for ferries which then take several hours to reach an island.

Closest nice beach places to Khao Sok (a bit over an hour) are Khao Lak and Ko Kho Khao - the latter is an island (only 10 minutes to cross to from the mainland, longtail ferries waiting for customers) not too many travellers get to with a nice range of accommodation and some very good beach areas. At Khao Lak I reckon Sunset Beach is hard to beat - I spent a few days at the elevated Baan Krating a while back - a nice not too expensive midrange joint.

Travellers' minibuses leave Khao Sok each morning and go direct to Krabi over good mountain roads which short-cut the main road route, take maybe 3 hours. I'd try to stay on Railay (east Railay is better value and has more accommodation and you can access the better West Railay and Phra Nang beaches in about 10 minutes of walking).

Some of the near-airport beaches at Phuket would take about the same time as Krabi (public bus instead of travellers' minivan; however I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there is now a morning minivan leaving Sok for Phuket). I spent a few days at Nai Yang just south of the airport last month and it proved a real nice little beach. I found Nai Yang Boutique Resort on travelfish's associated Agoda booking site was very good value lower midrange joint. travelfish's Nai Yang destination section mentions several backpacker/flashpacker places too.
    A good place of this type on absolute beach front the other side of the airport I've stayed at is Seaside Cottages and Restaurant at Mai Khao beach.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 06:21

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ah yes, DL got his answer in while I was writing mine so I didn't see his Ko Phra Thong suggestion.

Nice island, even more laid back and less visited than Ko Kho Khao. I didn't mention it because when I took the opposite journey from Phra Thong to Khao Sok a while back it was quite time consuming. But this was using public transport - if 4 adults are travelling they could hire a van to take them directly from Sok to the pier and then hire a longtail to take them across to the island - probably wouldn't be too much more per person than I paid. One of Golden Buddha's beach houses split between 4 would not be over the top price wise for midrange travellers and a perfect place. Of course if you want to go budget you have a choice of nearby Mr Chuoi's, Nature Beach etc.

#4 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 06:42

• Howard55

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2013

My partner and i decided not to mention that due to the fact once i needed the alternative vacation via Phra Thong to help Khao Sok a while rear it turned out quite frustrating. Although this became employing general public transfer in the event that four parents tend to be travelling they may hire any van to consider them specifically via Sok for the pier after which it hire any longtail to consider them around for the tropical isle most likely couldn't be an excessive amount of a lot more for every man or women than My partner and i compensated.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 03:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Beach In August: Andaman Coast vs. Gulf of Thailand ... By shaka317 on 4 May 2012 2 2491 10 May 2012
2 weeks on the beach: Andaman or Gulf - or both? Opinions appreciated! ... By krisandleo on 3 Nov 2006 3 2055 7 Nov 2006
Islands: Gulf vs. Andaman Sea ... By Tetso on 17 Jan 2014 4 1379 19 Jan 2014
Gulf or Andaman Sea in June? ... By trudat on 25 Jan 2008 2 2302 26 Jan 2008
Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand Islands ... By TheGoose on 9 Feb 2009 1 3662 10 Feb 2009
Andaman gulf beginning of December ... By Seba on 28 Sep 2009 1 1477 29 Sep 2009
Best East Coast / Gulf options ... By kingspank on 23 Apr 2013 3 1264 24 Apr 2013
heading to HOT Thailand - Andaman vs. Gulf side in May!? ... By jkian on 9 Apr 2011 9 3252 22 Apr 2011
Andaman Coast ... By bliprogers on 2 Nov 2006 1 1927 3 Nov 2006
Andaman Coast - now! ... By noflyzone on 11 Jul 2010 4 2866 20 Jul 2010