Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Islands and boats

• AddyH

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

Hi,
    After reading through this site (and "tezza's" wonderful site), I'm still not sure about getting from one island to the next. We'll be travelling around the islands for four weeks and the itinery (not written in stone) looks like this:

Krabi for a couple of days
    ferry from Had Yao Pier to Ko Libong
    boat to Ko Kradan
    boat to Ko Ngai
    boat to Ko Jum
    boat to Krabi

Apart from the inital ferry to Ko Libong, I'm not sure if this circuit is possible. Does anybody have any information ?

Thaaanks !

#1 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 05:04

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Sounds like a pretty good circuit to me. This is how I'd approach it:

Boat to Kradan from Libong - last time I stayed on Libong, accommodation places had signs up for lontail charter to nearby islands - fine if sharing, not so good cost-wise if there is just one budget traveller. However I noticed when I was on Kradan and Ngai, daytrip boats from Libong resorts - maybe you could hook a ride for a reduced fee.
    Failing this:
    - go back to Had Yao pier and wait for the Tigerline ferry northwards which calls in at Kradan.
    - less expensive: hop on the roughly hourly public minivan into Trat. For a minimal extra cost this will divert the short distance to the Kuan Thung Ku pier where most Kradan resort longtails load their guests. I'm not sure what time they leave - you would maybe have to co-ordinate this with your Kradan accommodation. Not sure of prices - Tigerline may not be too much more.
    Don't miss Cliff Beach Resort's panoramic pool on Ngai - buying a beer or snack makes you legit and prices are not bad. Views breath-taking.

Boat to Ngai from Kradan - ask you accommodation about boats. Tigerline does it, there will be daytrip speedboats which could drop you off on their way back to Lanta. I don't think the Petpailin 4 islands daytrip boat out of Lanta will work - it tends to visit Ngai before Kradan on its route. A relatively expensive longtail charter would do it.

Boat to Jum - use one of the transport modes immediately above to get back to Lanta. Then catch the Lanta- Krabi ferry and hop off at Jum.
    Problem is you will have to wait until the next day to catch the latter. If you wanted to do it in one day maybe you would have to go back to Trang and make your way by bus, songthaew to Laem Kraut, the mainland pier behind Jum where public longtails leave. Trouble is I don't know if these are regular say hourly services or whether there is only one afternoon service. Accommodation places on Jum would know if you contact them.

Boat to Krabi - hop back on the Lanta to Krabi or Ao Nang ferry .

Just a word on your first transfer Krabi to Hat Yao pier - bus or minivan to Trang, public minivan to Hat Yao pier is the cheapest. But Tigerline runs a van directly from Krabi to the pier to connect with their boats heading north and south - this starts in Ao Nang and would be considerably quicker. More expensive too of course.

#2 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 16:35

• AddyH

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

Thanks so much for this info tezza !
    Sounds like it will work out fine. Budget will allow us to hire a longboat if necessary, so hopefully we can save some time travelling between islands !

#3 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 06:20

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Just a point of clarification - all my above info is if you are going in high/shoulder season. After some time in April things change and a lot of those boats don't run. If you are going then, I can suggest some alternative strategies.

#4 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 00:37

• AddyH

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

Hi tezza,
    We're going from 9th March to 7th April, so I imagine all boats should be running. Will things be getting less busy at this time ?

#5 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 00:43

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Yeah, good time. Less busy but usually all accommodation open, all transport options running.

#6 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 03:03

• thaibeachlo-
    vers

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2006

Hi tezza, now I know where you went after departing the "other" forum. No doubt you were not feeling too bad about the troubles there!

#7 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 02:51

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Been a fairly steady contributor to tavelfish for a few years, tbl, but yeah, more or less exclusively recently.

I did have a bit of a giggle abt the troubles at that other site. And the antics of some regular contributors who were outraged that they had been treated badly and that the site was shut down at such a pressing time. On the latter - I can remember when it used to shut down routinely over the Christman break well into the new year. And treated badly? Hey they didn't get their bums canned for (ostensibly) cracking a few jokes.

#8 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 18:55

• Kananga

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2005
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

And the antics of some regular contributors who were outraged that they had been treated badly and that the site was shut down at such a pressing time. - Haha you mean like the person you're conversing with on here ;-) Its been a regular rantathon over there.

Hey Tezz, I posted a message to you on the person's Yao Noi/Yai post regarding your July trip.

#9 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 07:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.