Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Lost license Important?

  • scottyg

    Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2013
    Posts: 4

    Hey guys I'm just about to leave to Thailand and got drunk at my going away party and lost my wallet. Inside was my license and 18 + card
    and I think it takes 2 weeks to get a replacement but I leave in 3 days. I have my license scanned and copied and my passport. will I need my Qld drivers license when travelling or will the copy be fine thanks

    #1 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 16:24

  • Advertisement

  • ayesha

    TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 74

    If you are planning to rent a car then you will need it - otherwise I wouldnt know why you would need it.

    #2 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 20:42

  • busylizzy

    Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Posts: 2155
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

    Hope this is a lesson to you as to what can happen once you're over in Thailand partying it up at the Full Moon Parties. Just be glad that it wasn't your passport! :-)

    If you're planning on hiring a motorbike, they will probably be more interesting in taking your passport off of you as collateral rather than your licence. The nice policeman who pulls you over for not wearing a helmet or some other infringement (fictional or otherwise) may have other ideas.

    #3 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 02:37

  • Captain_Bob

    Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1787

    You won't need a drivers license unless you intend on driving (doh!) but as said above they usually take your passport (or copy of) as security when renting. If you have an accident or get caught at a police checkpoint they will demand a drivers license but you'll probably just get fined (around $10) for not having one, but of course you can forget any insurance cover without a license.

    #4 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 02:50

  • sirhalberd

    Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007
    Posts: 295

    To legally drive a motor vehicle you need a Thai drivers license or an International Drivers License. You get the International Drivers License back home when you present a valid drivers license.

    Young and drunk on a motorcycle is dangerous!! Motorcycle accidents account for the most tourist fatalities in Thailand!

    If you don't plan on driving in Thailand having no license is only a problem back home.

    #5 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 22:43

  • thaibeachlo-

    Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2006
    Posts: 38

    To drive in Thailand you are advised to have both driving licence and an IDP.

    NEVER leave your pasport as security for anything, let alone a m'bike. Ignore this advice if you wish, but don't say you weren't warned when it all goes wrong.

    #6 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 02:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee