Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Return to Isan village after 25 years

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

So I finally plucked up the courage to visit the village after being encouraged by reports things had changed for the better. It cerainly seemed like that when we chugged up a metalled road where once there was just a cloud of laterite. Sad to see the wooden houses gone but the concrete constructions looked pretty sturdy if possibly a bit hot in summer. The water is tapped now but still comes from a well. What was not so great was the diet of fish three times a day and only water to drink. I was surprised to see cooking still done over a wood fire despite the free electricity. If you like fish and total peace this is the place to go.

#1 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 22:21

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My wife's village has changed too - although almost all the houses are still wood and they don't eat all that much fish (lot of pork and chicken). It also isn't all that peaceful with kids racing around on motobikes all day. And all sorts of beverages are available. And it now has an internet cafe.

#2 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 04:42

• ProfessorFa-
    rt

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013

Village Scmillage.

I can't fathom why so many folks live up in the sticks (well, I can really) but blimey! It's gruesome.

After 2 days of floor sitting, chicken watching tedium, I'm out of there....

#3 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 00:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, the cool thing about village life is it's cheap. And you are truly unconstrained by government. So you can shape your environment the way you want it to be if you have the resources. And now, with modern communications, you can stay connected to the world while you are out there. I prefer living in the city (although it's a small city) but I could do the village thing and be OK with it. Get some land, a couple of horses, a pitbull, a shotgun, satellite TV, internet, a swimming pool and we're living fat!

#4 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 03:58

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

So Montana is the place for you not Thailand. No need to take that mountain of documents to the ampere each year to get visa renewal.

#5 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 04:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Montana isn't that cheap. Nowhere in the US is. And it's FREEZING in the winter - a big downer for me. And the mountain of documents is a small handful now that I have a retirement visa. My visa situation went from horrible to easy very quickly. Also, at my wife's village, "civilizatoin" is a half hour away. Montana is HUGE.

#6 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 09:45

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Skiing's not so good in Mukdahan
    ;-)

#7 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 20:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I can't ski anymore anyway. Loved doing it in Germany and Austria when I lived there, but it put too much stress on my left knee. Can still do Tae Kwon Do though - go figure.

#8 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 23:49

• thaibeachlo-
    vers

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2006

The old folks prefer food cooked on a fire.
    My wife's village is anything but peaceful, From morning prayer at 4am it's m'bikes and tractors all day, and even at night there's the talking petrol pumps to keep me awake, never mind the nephew practicing base guitar, or the party next door.

#9 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 02:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

TBL
    Yep, sounds like my wife's village too.

#10 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 21:20

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Well I can let you have some land, this village is pure peace.Just an endless parade of neighbours stopping in to natter on the stoop. Farming. What farming?

#11 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 02:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.