Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Return to Isan village after 25 years

Posted by sayadian on 25/1/2013 at 22:21

So I finally plucked up the courage to visit the village after being encouraged by reports things had changed for the better. It cerainly seemed like that when we chugged up a metalled road where once there was just a cloud of laterite. Sad to see the wooden houses gone but the concrete constructions looked pretty sturdy if possibly a bit hot in summer. The water is tapped now but still comes from a well. What was not so great was the diet of fish three times a day and only water to drink. I was surprised to see cooking still done over a wood fire despite the free electricity. If you like fish and total peace this is the place to go.

#1 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 26/1/2013 at 04:42

My wife's village has changed too - although almost all the houses are still wood and they don't eat all that much fish (lot of pork and chicken). It also isn't all that peaceful with kids racing around on motobikes all day. And all sorts of beverages are available. And it now has an internet cafe.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by ProfessorFart on 27/1/2013 at 00:26

Village Scmillage.

I can't fathom why so many folks live up in the sticks (well, I can really) but blimey! It's gruesome.

After 2 days of floor sitting, chicken watching tedium, I'm out of there....

#3 ProfessorFart has been a member since 18/1/2013. Posts: 8

Posted by MADMAC on 27/1/2013 at 03:58

Well, the cool thing about village life is it's cheap. And you are truly unconstrained by government. So you can shape your environment the way you want it to be if you have the resources. And now, with modern communications, you can stay connected to the world while you are out there. I prefer living in the city (although it's a small city) but I could do the village thing and be OK with it. Get some land, a couple of horses, a pitbull, a shotgun, satellite TV, internet, a swimming pool and we're living fat!

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 27/1/2013 at 04:18

So Montana is the place for you not Thailand. No need to take that mountain of documents to the ampere each year to get visa renewal.

#5 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 27/1/2013 at 09:45

Montana isn't that cheap. Nowhere in the US is. And it's FREEZING in the winter - a big downer for me. And the mountain of documents is a small handful now that I have a retirement visa. My visa situation went from horrible to easy very quickly. Also, at my wife's village, "civilizatoin" is a half hour away. Montana is HUGE.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 27/1/2013 at 20:08

Skiing's not so good in Mukdahan
;-)

#7 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 27/1/2013 at 23:49

I can't ski anymore anyway. Loved doing it in Germany and Austria when I lived there, but it put too much stress on my left knee. Can still do Tae Kwon Do though - go figure.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by thaibeachlovers on 28/1/2013 at 02:41

The old folks prefer food cooked on a fire.
My wife's village is anything but peaceful, From morning prayer at 4am it's m'bikes and tractors all day, and even at night there's the talking petrol pumps to keep me awake, never mind the nephew practicing base guitar, or the party next door.

#9 thaibeachlovers has been a member since 25/5/2006. Posts: 38

Posted by MADMAC on 28/1/2013 at 21:20

TBL
Yep, sounds like my wife's village too.

#10 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 29/1/2013 at 02:51

Well I can let you have some land, this village is pure peace.Just an endless parade of neighbours stopping in to natter on the stoop. Farming. What farming?

#11 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.