Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting to Siem Reap

• SaltwaterGem

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

In Ko Chang now, next stop is Siem Reap . It seems like a long journey to Trat, then Chathaburi, then Khorat, then Aranya Prathet, then Poipet, then Siem Reap. The threads I searched are only about travel in the opposite direction.

On the other hand there are travel services here in Lonely Beach... To Siem Reap for 350-450 baht. Is this trustworthy? I'd rather not be dumped somewhere at random or taken for a spin through jewel shops and rrestaurants for 9 hours.

#1 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 04:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We ran a feature a couple of weeks ago on this crossing (it was comparing crossing in 2005 and 2012) the latter crossing was from Ko Chang via a travel agent so it should mimic the experience you'll most likely have. You can read the feature here.

If you want to do it solo, you can read the following, which is a bit dated pricewise and though you'll need to read it backwards ;-)

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 17:38

• SaltwaterGem

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Seems like hell either way...

So there is a bus straights from Chathaburi to Aranya Prathet? I was under the impression I would have to go to Khorat then onward from there

#3 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 21:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yup, you can get a but from Chanthaburi to Aranyaprathet -- no need to go to Khorat. It's not that bad a trip really - road much much better than it used to be.

#4 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 23:23

• denzil71

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2012

Was chatting to a tour guy here in Chiang Mai today who told me that it is now possible to get a bus from bangkok to siem reap direct (because of the new visa stuff) for about $50 US - dont know the details or how good value that is, but it would seem to save a lot of hassle for many.

#5 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 06:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm leaving, on a jet plane...

I'm going next month and flying Bangkok to PP. Just seems easier. Couple days there dancing, couple days there checking out Siem Reap. Friend of mine bought me a ticket, can't say no to that.

#6 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 07:02

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Your best bet is probably Trat - Chanthaburi - Aran - Poipet - Siem Reap . Buses shouldn't cost too much on the Thai side (between 200 and 400B) and I would assume you can get straight to Chanthaburi from Chang, then straight to Aran from there.

Once you're at the border market, don't bother with any of the "visa offices" that people will try to bring you to, just head straight for Thai passport control. Once you are stamped out of Thailand the Cambodian visa office is on the right hand side after you emerge from the passport control building.

A good option to get to Siem Reap from there is to share a taxi which will be a Toyota Camry, and if you can find three other people you can hire the car for between $30 and $50 depending on how far you are willing to bargain down to. $50 split between 4 really isn't bad considering you get your own private car all the way to the guesthouse of your choice rather than going through the whole 'free shuttle-bus - bus terminal (wait there for an indeterminate period) - local restaurant stop-off - then dropped in tuktuk land on the outskirts of Siem Reap' fiasco...

Have fun!

#7 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 14:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.