Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

I want my smartphone sent from home to me... but where to / how?

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

So I've been travelling for a couple of weeks and have decided I'm going to work my way around SE Asia where possible, as it's lots of fun meeting people who are like minded and not just your average tourists. It's also very cheap which will allow me to stay longer, always a bonus!

My problem is that there tends to be a lot of WIFI but not many cafes, and I need to check my email more than I'd anticipated due to finding new work. I'm travelling from near Chiang Mai to within 10 minutes of Pai on Tuesday and will stay there for about a week. Is there any way that I can have my smartphone sent to me from my home but without an address? E.g. is there a service for tourists to have something sent to a post office or TAT office? If so, how do I go about arranging this? I would go to a TAT office myself but am in the middle of nowhere until Tuesday.

Thanks
    :)

#1 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 22:04

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can have it sent to Poste Restante in Chiang Mai (just gets held at the GPO for you to pick up) but I'm not sure I'd trust a smartphone to that. Other than that - get it couriered to your guesthouse...

or buy a new phone!

#2 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 23:27

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

In the days before the internet - the weekly/fortnightly visit to the Post Office for Poste Restante to check for mail was all part of the backpacking experience!

#3 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 06:36

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Android phones from around $133...
    http://itcity.co.th/p2.html

#4 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 07:31

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

Thanks for the advice, I guess the most sensible option would be to buy from ITCITY WEB... only 4K baht for a smart phone. How do I go about buying from that? I certainly don't read Thai. Thanks [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: actually I've looked into Poste Restante and it seems okay. I'm thinking I'll just get it shipped to Vientiane a couple of weeks before I leave for there.

#5 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 20:45

• thaibeachlo-
    vers

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2006

Good luck with the Thai postal service, LOL.

#6 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 02:43

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

IT City is just an example of what's available all over Thailand. Young Thais are crazy for gadgets and most shopping malls have the full range of smartphones.

Don't know if you're from the US but consider this if having your phone sent over
    http://americablog.com/2013/01/its-now-illegal-to-unlock-your-cell-phone.html

#7 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 10:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.