Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Food stalls closed on mondays in Bangkok??

• krysta_leea-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2013

i was reading lonely planet thailand and it mentioned that most food stalls are closed on mondays due to road cleaning.....is this true??

#1 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 16:14

• Advertisement

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

I don't think so, I've never seen them closed and have only seen road cleaning happening early in the morning. I'm
    Pretty sure you won't have this problem

#2 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 18:07

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Interesting question. I can only tell you that on Rambutri near KSR the stalls do close on Monday for street cleaning.

#3 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 20:03

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Some do close on Mondays but there are always street carts open in Bangkok. Holidays are when they're fewest, but even then there's 50 times more than the average Western city. :) They always come out late afternoon and stay open into the night regardless. Head to a market (like this one) if you aren't finding your fill on the street during the day.

#4 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 21:30

• thaibeachlo-
    vers

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2006

Perhaps in the places that LP writers go, but not in the real world.
    However, many stalls don't set up till the evening, and even those that do open during the day many open late. Even food stall owners have to sleep.

#5 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 02:33

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

As TBL said, maybe around KSR, but else I have never experienced food stalls to close on a special day. Maybe they have to do for road cleaning, but right after finishing of the works they do reopen.

The places I usually go to are open Mo to Fr, and less likely Sa to So because they cater for office workers in downtown.

But in no way you will have to starve on mondays :-)

#6 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 03:27

• krysta_leea-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2013

thank you everyone for your very helpful responses!! i was panicking and about to rework my iteniary!!

#7 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 10:39

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Seriously - you'd rework your itinerary over food stalls being closed?! It sounds to me like you may be treating your LP guidebook as a travelling gospel - if it's in the book, it must be true. If it's NOT in the book, it doesn't exist.

Just remember that Thailand (and elsewhere in SEA) is full of people just going about their daily business. Somethings may shut down during a holiday - but they are never going to close down businesses where paying tourists are staying. YOu will always find somewhere to stay, and always find something to eat, and (usually!) find a way to get to where you want to go.

If closed foodstalls is enough to send you into a planning panic, I'd really suggest taking a deep breath, and try to relax a bit more. Everything works out OK in the end one way or another.

Enjoy your trip!

#8 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 13:15

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

besides those dirty carts there are scores+others of just inside garage type like ''restrts'' (the Thai just call them all foodshops-which is exactly what they are) which differ hardly from those carts in what they offer. Plus they have fixed running water and maybe even a loo behind. I do not see the differcne or reason for fear, though it often seems these travel-fora are more about quelling fears and anxieties as about giving information.

#9 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 02:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"...though it often seems these travel-fora are more about quelling fears and anxieties as about giving information"

But that's OK - I'm sure most of us have been a nervous, first time traveller at some point in our lives. I'm happy to reassure someone that is feeling nervous. At least if they're nervous, it shows that they're thinking about where they are going and what they are doing. Unlike others who head on over without any thought or research, then wonder why they get into trouble!

#10 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 04:26

• Advertisement

• krysta_leea-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2013

busylizzy -- thank you!

i have seen many forums where ppl are rediculed for the questions they ask and the fears they have..... so i appreciate the understanding!

i hate when ppl attack or belittle someone for asking a question. i am nervous and want to be informed of where i am going and make sure i am able to experience everything i can!

thank you for the support and information everyone!!

#11 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 10:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

No worries - captainbkk is a bit of a grumpy bugger that seems to like giving people a hard time. Not sure why he bothers? Nevermind. Key thing is to try and relax.

Do your research, have a rough plan - but keep some flexibility so that you can change your mind about spending more time somewhere , or to head off in a different direction. And don't try to fit too much into a short period of time. Many people under-estimate travel times and trust me, you don't want to spend ALL your time sitting on a bus, waiting for a bus, or walking around trying to find accom. You're not travelling on the multi-lane highways that you may be used to at home!

You want to make sure you have enough time to enjoy each destination. I'm a believer in building in a bit of downtime for some R&R along the way. In other words, if you're going to be on the move every day or two for a week, make sure you plan to have a 3-4 stay somewhere to just slow down for a few days. There is a lot of waiting around (for buses, etc) and travel is slow.

And don't forget your travel insurance!

Then go and enjoy! Just remember that it will all work out in the end. SE Asia is a relatively easy and safe area to travel in for newbies (including women on their own). They cater well for tourists if you plan to stick to the more popular tourist trail so you will never be far from people willing and wanting to help (and to take your $ of course!). And if you decide to venture off the trail, language may be a problem, but people will always be kind and willing to help. it's all very do-able.

#12 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 13:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tourist attractions in Bangkok that are currently closed due to flooding ... By Thaitourism on 9 Nov 2011 2 839 9 Nov 2011