Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand/Laos/Cambodia trip help!

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

Hello!
    We are planning a trip through SEA - mostly Thailand (peninsula and mainland), northern laos, and a bit of cambodia (Angkor Wat and such). We have about a 2 month window and are flexible-ish on dates. We would like to trave May-June, however, we have been reading a bunch about the weather and we would like to structure our trip so we can try an avoid at least some of the rain.

Any suggestions for traveling in SEA during monsoons, or suggestions on which direction to go to avoid some of the worst rain? I have been reading the information under the weather section, but it is hard to piece together the trip.

Our rough idea is Bangkok up to Chiang Mai, dip into northern Laos for a week, down Northeastern Thailand to Cambodia for about a week, around the coast to the peninsula, then down to the bottom of thailand. With 2 months we'd do a lot of stopping along the way, we are not in a rush.

We can do the trip reversed or mix it up or avoid areas completely - we would rather have a good time somewhere we didn't expect to be than stuck inside in the pouring rain. We are 20-something and have backpacked Europe a few times and are looking for something different. We are all about hostels, cheap hotels, cheap eats, and great company. We like cities and towns but we also love wilderness and "off the beaten track" locations.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 18:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I think you're going to get rain no matter how you boil that loop down so see little point in reversing it. Most of the islands, especially Cambodian south coast and Ko Chang will be pretty wet. That said, wet season isn't so much all day torrential rain as much as some torrential rain for some of the day on some days -- in between could be brilliant sunshine.

I think best just to forget about the weather and figure out what you want to see -- weather be damned!

With that in mind, here's some stories that should be of help with the planning side of things.
    Stops between Bangkok & ChiangMai
    Southern Thai towns to lose time in
    Explore Kanchannaburi
    ChiangDao getaway

Your route is a fairly common one so you'll certainly meet others along the way.

More questions? ask away :)

#2 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 03:08

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

Ok great - thank you! I was hoping that was the answer.. :)

Do you think that what we are trying to do is doable in 2 months? We don't want to be rushing, but we are also a bit ADD and enjoy keeping the trip moving.

Also, do you have an recommendations for gear/must have items we wouldn't think of for traveling in SEA? We have backpacked in Europe, but hostels are generally clean, laundromats are pretty plentiful, and toilitries we are used to were accessible. I'm worried we might forget something key that we really wished we had!

We want to be able to explore the jungle (not serious trekking, but
    definitely day hiking).
    Thank you!

#3 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 10:00

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

I think 2 months is fine for that trip - and you shouldn't have trouble finding anything you need along the way.

Maybe have a stock of antacid and Ibuprofen and if you're planning on a day hike you'll want something better than a pair of sandals - but you can get away with a pair of sneakers easily. I can't think of anything I ever couldn't find that I needed while traveling in SEA.

#4 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 18:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trip to Cambodia, Laos and Thailand ... By JoggaPogga on 19 Jul 2010 10 3362 22 Jul 2010
Trip Advice Thailand, Cambodia or Laos ... By anandgrafiti on 13 May 2009 10 3646 14 May 2009
Round trip Thailand, Laos and Cambodia ... By takezo on 30 Sep 2013 23 1381 27 Oct 2013
18 Day trip Laos/Cambodia/ Thailand short but all the time I have !! ... By bobjim on 10 Sep 2008 2 2642 10 Sep 2008
30 day trip to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand (the islands) ... By littlelau on 8 May 2006 2 3832 8 May 2006
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos Advice for 51 day trip ... By Cyn343 on 10 Mar 2014 20 606 14 Mar 2014
1 month trip to Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By Nixxypie on 27 Apr 2011 7 9605 28 Apr 2011
Need help planning trip to Thailand, possibly Cambodia/Laos ... By marycolin on 9 Apr 2006 1 1695 9 Apr 2006
Need help on my Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand trip in September ... By d0rk1e on 11 Aug 2006 5 3954 12 Sep 2006
Help! My 90day trip to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand. ... By yooj on 14 Jan 2008 1 3011 14 Jan 2008