Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai to Hanoi?

• bigfatbackp-
    ack

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2013

Hello! I'm new here and I was hoping you guys could help out. My boyfriend and I are planning a 3 month trip in SEA, starting in northern Thailand. We plan on being in Chiang Mai for Songkran, then we were going to go from there to Laos. However, after reevaluating our itinerary, we realized we were probably trying to cram in too much, and had to make the difficult decision to skip Laos. Because of that, we are trying to figure out what would be the best, cheapest and quickest way to get from Chiang Mai to Hanoi. Obviously flying would be the best, but all the flights I looked at flew back to Bangkok, and were waaaay out of our budget (which is $100 each max).
    If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to get to Hanoi, it would be greatly appreciated!

#1 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• KarinaGomes

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2013

Hello! Did you see in Vietnan Airlines?

#2 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 18:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

To my knowledge there are no direct Chiang Mai to Hanoi flights.

AirAsia currently have Bangkok to Hanoi one way for as little at 1,800 baht one way all inclusive in late April. It's not going to get much cheaper than that.

Get a train/bus/cheap flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok then AirAsia to Hanoi would be my advice.

#3 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 19:11

• bigfatbackp-
    ack

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2013

Thanks! That's probably what we will end up doing.

#4 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 16:26

• rrose

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2010

Maybe you won't need to skip Laos completely... I am told that one can fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang and then connect to Hanoi. Probably Laos Airlines to LP and then another to Hanoi. Check into it and it might work for you. Chok dee/good luck!

#5 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 00:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.