Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

WHERE TO STAY ON KO PHI PHI

• krysta_leea-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2013

hello everyone!!

so i have been trying to research places to stay on ko phi phi and am having a hard time figuring out where to stay on the island...... i was thinking it might be nice to stay at Hat Phak Nam or Hat Rantee but cant seem to find a good place.....any suggestions??? or should i stay in ton sai village?

any suggestions will help!!

#1 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 15:39

• Advertisement

• robinwhite

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

When you come to visit Ko Phi Phi.You must stay in the hotel Amenities as these provides all facilities with an affordable prices.I was also stayed there last year for a month.

#2 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 15:51

• krysta_leea-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2013

do they have a website? where is it located? how much?

#3 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 17:09

• Nadav

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2013

anywhere is nice on Phi Phi :) I would recommend somewhere close to the main beach area if you can . Not sure if they still have the 2 am lockout? does anyone know if they still have it?

#4 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 19:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd definitely go with Pak Nam over Rantee, but the main place to stay there is quite pricey. Here's a good wrap on where to stay on Ko Phi Phi which may be of help.

#5 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 22:29

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

You haven't specified budget or type of area you are after, but when you mention Had Pak Nam and Rantee it sounds like budget-flashpacker and laid back respectively.

"but can't seem to find a good place" - this must mean Relax Resort, the only place on Pak Nam, must have been booked out for your dates. Because the joint certainly gets good user reports on various forums like travelfish, Trip Advisor and the accommodation booking sites like Agoda.
    Rantee is similar to Pak Nam in appearance but has a number of places to stay - maybe it's a case of picking the one who's reports are most positive. Don't be put off by a few negative comments - it's impossible to please some people. Some complain bitterly if they see a cockroach - cockroaches in a tropical jungle beach site? What a surprise.
    Last time I called by Rantee there was a new flashpacker/midrange joint Tohko Beach Resort looked pretty nice.

Just south of Rantee is Ao Toh Koh with one resort of the same name. It was pretty good when I stayed a few years back but seemed to drop its game for a while. Not sure abt now - they did have some nice new beachfront bungalows when I called by last time but these were certainly not bargains. Actually no-where on Phi Phi is a bargain relative to the average island.

Similar beaches elsewhere? - well Viking Resort on its own little beach (actually it's spread to 2 beaches with the take-over of Maphrao Resort on the small adjacent beach) just west of the really nice Long Beach does the job. I have booked here for a few days in March - I've been wanting to stay at Relax Resort for years but decided Viking would give me much the same vibe in a much better position - an easy walk and cheaper longtail trip into town. I've previously thought Viking overpriced but found it competitive on travelfish's associated Agoda booking site - and the user reports gushed.

Busier Long Beach is always worth checking. Maybe Paradise Resort (now called Phi Phi Blue Sky) and Paradise Pearl have some good deals for their cheaper rooms, Nomad's Phi Phi Hotel is sure to (this is the old budget Long Beach Bungalow - now has dorms so maybe a bit noisy with budget backpackers, bless their hard-partying hearts), and I've always enjoyed my stays at budget/flashpacker Phi Phi Hill high on the eastern headland.

You ask about in town. Thing is it's getting hard to escape the party noise most places in town. Last trip I stayed at a nice joint high on the eastern outskirts of town but the thumpa thumpa of bar noise well into the early hours still penetrated.
    One place it didn't seem a problem was when I stayed at the far western end of Ton Sai beach a few years back. This is an unexpectedly nice section of beach (most of Ton Sai beach is drack - affected by the piers etc) and there is a selection of lower midrangers and at least one flashpacker/budget joint down there.

#6 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 22:41

• krysta_leea-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2013

nadav - Not sure if they still have the 2 am lockout? what do you mean 2am lock out??

tezza -- thank you for the information...and you pretty much knocked it on the head as to our budget and what we are looking for.....i want good price mixed with great beach. i finally looked up flashpacker (had no idea what it meant but kept seeing it lol) and it is i guess what we are. i will take a look at your suggestions!!

when it comes to phi phi should we prebook our hotel/hostel? or just wing it? we are arriving there around mar 30th, 2013

#7 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 10:18

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Late March is just about my favourite time to hit Thailand - you are into shoulder season so crowds are down but all places are still open and transport links running.

Unless you are after a specific place (Relax Resort is popular, may be pretty fully booked even in shoulder season) I wouldn't worry about pre-booking. There is nothing like the luxury of having a flexible agenda re arrival date. The only other downside of not booking is that sites like Agoda tend to screw a pretty good bargain out of joints - I'm not bad at bargaining but have found I sometimes can't match the booking sites' prices.
    If you are after a place on the east coast, maybe the best strategy is to ask your boat to wait while you find if there is a vacancy, and if not get them to take you to the adjacent beaches or even drop you at Long Beach on the boat's journey back into town.

btw - a lot of Phi Phi info sites mention another neat little lower east coast beach Ao Pooh with one bungalow joint - but this place has been closed for at least 2 seasons - the bungalows being used for restaurant staff lodging - the restaurant serves speedboat daytrippers from Phuket and Krabi. Still a nice beach to visit - maybe a 10 minute walk from Long Beach starting via the path leading uphill thru The Beach Resort from the eastern end.

#8 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 16:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.