Thailand forum

North Thailand - out of the beaten tracks

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Hi all,
    I plan to visit Thailand again :) in the November 07.
    This time I want to pay attention to North. There is enough information about Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Golden Triangle and so on. Also I want visit "highland" people (hill tribes), but I don't want to visit "human zoo" villages, where people posing for photo all day long. I want to see real live.
    Does anyone suggest right direction? :)

p.s. I plan to rent a car, so long distances are not problem for me.

#1 Posted: 6/6/2007 - 16:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Vlad,

For trekking, would suggest trekking out of Pai or Mae Hong Son. For something more off the beaten track, try Mae Salong -- lots of Akha villages around there (and great driving/riding too).

Another option is Nan -- spectacular scenery and far fewer tourists than say Pai or Mae Hong Son.

#2 Posted: 8/6/2007 - 08:59

• gourlay

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2007

I think one should do a strange thing and just rent a small scooter and head to the hills., It will give you a better chance to see the real hill people as they are not as the trekking companies want you to. It is not so romantic as saying I did a grauling 3 day trek in the Thai mountains and meet these really great Germans. But prehaps the experience may be just as wonderful, and a little more unique in this day and age of instand referrals and eletronic guide books that send you "where every man has been before". Try the path less worn and as for NaAn is concerned wonderful place and great ride. Carry sun block!

#3 Posted: 9/6/2007 - 08:25

• as400

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2007

"It is not so romantic as saying I did a grauling 3 day trek in the Thai mountains and meet these really great Germans"

Personally I'd have hoped for rather more!

#4 Posted: 9/6/2007 - 16:15

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Somtam, thanks you for info!
    I am going to read about Mae Salong and Nan :)

Gourlay, usually I rent scooter, but this time we plan to travel with my friends, so car (4wd) is more suitable.

#5 Posted: 9/6/2007 - 19:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.