Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Smoke in Chiang Mai

• brody33

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2013

Hi there,

I was planning on spending the last 5 days of February in Chiang Mai as part of my 3 week holiday - in fact, I now need to go up to Chiang Mai at some point as I have booked a flight from there on March 1st.

In my research I have only just stumbled upon stories of how the air pollution and smoke during that period is unbearable - does anyone know first hand if this is true and how bad it is? I'm really thrown now... having planned my whole itinerary and booked my flights, seemingly for the ideal time of year to visit Thailand, I don't know what to do. I'd be grateful for any more info or advice anyone could pass on.

Cheers! Brody x

#1 Posted: 2/2/2013 - 05:24

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Not just Chiang Mai but all of northern Thailand/Laos/Myanmar/etc. is prone to smog in late-Feb through March due to seasonal farmland burning. Every year it varies, some years better some worse. It's been raining here in CM the past several evenings which is very unusual for this time of year, the upside though is it keeps the air clean and the days gorgeous and sunny. What will the air quality be in a few weeks? Check back here or keep an eye on http://aqmthai.com which shows daily air quality figures. If PM-10 levels get over 120 it's considered unhealthy, but for now the air situation is very good.

#2 Posted: 2/2/2013 - 07:59

• brody33

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2013

Thanks for responding! Very useful link, I'll check in with it a day or two before I was planning to travel and see how bad things are. That does mean holding off on booking the sleeper train until the day before - do you think that's likely to be a problem in mid-late February?

If the air does get bad, I still need to be in the area in order to catch my flight. I'd obviously be gutted to miss out on spending the time I'd planned on in Chiang Mai.. I don't suppose you'd have any ideas/recommendations for places nearby that might be less smoky and that could be a good alternative?

Thanks again!

#3 Posted: 4/2/2013 - 05:03

• GFGlobetrot-
    ter

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2013

Thanks for posting the air quality link. I am also going to Chiang Mai in March and have been worried about the pollution especially since I have asthma. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the levels.

#4 Posted: 5/2/2013 - 09:35

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Photo today in Mae Rim 15km north of Chiang Mai .
    PM-10 count at Chiang Mai City Hall: 35. Looking good so far...

#5 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 08:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Smoke in Chiang Mai ... By kara_12 on 21 Aug 2011 5 1383 23 Aug 2011