Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help! Travel with 2 toddlers - Thai Islands

• KrissyPurdy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2013

Hi,

I've been searching and searching trying to find the right islands to visit - 2 nights at one island and 2 at another on the Andaman side. I thought I had finally pin pointed where we'd go: Koh Lao Liang to the tents and then over to Koh Lanta to stay at Banana Bungalows. Unfortunately when we called to make a reservation for Lao Liang, the guy that answered the phone told me (I speak Thai fluently but was born/raised in the states) that we shouldn't go because it's dangerous and they are about to close down for the season and the water by then is murky anyway. Ugh! Now, I'm at a total loss...

My ideal vacation was to have 2 nights on a more remote island but with basic accomodations - a restroom and showers; then 2 nights on another island where we can enjoy thai massage on the beach, enjoy local food and perhaps take the kiddos on a bike ride (with infant seats attached, of course). I wanted to avoid the partying scene or at least limit the exposure to it since they're so little, but still find a place where my husband and I could get a drink! White sand beaches are a must for us... any advice?

Our dates of travel for the islands are April 1-5. We'll be heading back to BKK for a day and then out to Chiang Mai for another 4 nights.

Thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 18:49

• Advertisement

• Kananga

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2005
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Koh Yao Noi has everything you need. We've been there with young children and its been fine. Beaches are often pretty deserted and although it is a Muslim island there are a few bars around where you can get a drink or two. No party scene at all.

This is Pasai beach in high season http://habanero.smugmug.com/Travel/Koh-Yao-Noi-2011/27842309_8QXvZc#!i=2348584559&k=8Pmkkx5

The beaches are quite tidal so there is no swimming at low tide. The same beach at low tide http://habanero.smugmug.com/Travel/Koh-Yao-Noi-2011/27842309_8QXvZc#!i=2348596560&k=66hSnrd

#2 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 22:55

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

2 nights basic - white sand beach. I reckon you may like the tents at Ko Ngai Camping. This place is on the nicest section of the main west facing beach sand and water wise and puts on a pretty nice seafood bbq each night with chairs and candle-lit tables on the sand etc which attracts a good crowd from the array of midrange and budget joints along this beach. btw - the flashest joint is probably Kohngai Beach Cliff Resort way up the northern end - this joint has a pool with sundeck and cafe at its highest point with mindblowing views and outsiders are welcome if they buy some of the reasonably priced drink or food. Ko Ngai is a Trang island just south of Ko Lanta.

2 nights other island - Lanta will do the job nicely. The southern beaches tend to have the whiter sand but it gets pretty hilly there - tough for the bike riding. So I'm thinking somewhere on Klong Kong, Klong Nin or even Long Beach (Ao Phrae) would meet your other asks. You will maybe have to read the user reviews on the various sites carefully to avoid parties - Lady Tezza and I thought we had a real quiet place at the south end of Long Beach last December (Marina) but adjacent Korner Bar throws the Saturday night all-island party - noise and departing yahoos and motorcycles to 4am. Strewth!

#3 Posted: 4/2/2013 - 07:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Marvellous what a night's sleep will do to rev up the memory:
    * "...the main west facing beach.." (of Ngai) in my #2 is wrong - this beach faces east. As such it is a great wet season beach, protected on windier days by a nice backbone of very steep hills.
    * I was reminded of tavelfish's own review of Ko Ngai Camping which said that visiting backpackers like to whoop it up down there. I've never stayed after dinner, although at the time of that visit, late April 2012 (April sounds like it is around your time of trip) there seemed to be no campers or very few.

But okay, other budget options on that beach. Well the two budget bungalow joints are Ngai Villa and Seafood up in the middle of the beach. Villa has a cool beach bar but it didn't seem to offer any noise problems the two times I stayed there.
    Way up the north end maybe 50m short of Cliff Beach Resort with the great pool is a really basic place - Ronan Dive, a small operation with tents only, just behind the seawall. The beach is nice up there in the top half of the tide (although at full tide it may just about disappear) but pretty shallow and rocky offshore at low tide. Cliff Beach can get a lot of Thai guests on weekends and public holidays - they like karaoke in the beach dining area - but it did not worry us too much this past December (not super loud and didn't go too late) - and our room was just above the area and we were still pretty sensitive having just come down from Marina on Lanta. I think Ronin would be a fair bit further than our room and if the tide is up the sound of the water will further mask any bad singing.

I'll make a few suggestions about the neighbouring island of Ko Kradan which has a very similar main beach when I get the time.

#4 Posted: 4/2/2013 - 16:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.