Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Phangan to Bangkok timing

• GFGlobetrot-
    ter

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2013

I have a flight out of Bangkok at 01:35 on a Friday morning. I will be on Koh Phangan for the week before my departure. Do you think I will give myself enough time to get to BKK if I leave Koh Phangan by ferry on Thursday morning and fly from Koh Samui directly to BKK? I know this is the more expensive option, but I would rather fly to BKK than DMK.

How often are the ferries from Koh Phangan to Koh Samui cancelled/delayed?

Should I plan on getting to Koh Samui on Wednesday rather than Thursday? I would prefer to have my last days in Thailand on the beach rather than back in Bangkok but also don't want to miss my flight out of BKK back to the states.

#1 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 09:37

• Advertisement

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

A few times (including last December) I've got the last ferry from Haad Rin to Samui at 5:30pm (17:30) and then got a 9 or 10pm (21:00 or 22:00)Bangkok airline flight to BKK to catch an early morning flight. I've never had any problems.

#2 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 13:28

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

a tipical nobrainer
    Ferries are delayed/cancelled in times of bad wheather. So time of yr is most imprtt. As you ay you are longitme on the island-surely you can ask/forecast comingup storms etc?
    BKK-air-the one who expensively fly Samui-BKK interlines with loads of airlines and may already be able to label luggage trhu to US

#3 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 03:01

• TravelingDa-
    ve

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013

As captainbkk said ferries can be canceled at anytime for any number of reasons.

I highly suggest that you get there on the Wednesday. It is not worth the risk as Thailand can become a very lonely place if your plans unravel.

Thanks

Dave

#4 Posted: 14/2/2013 - 10:37

• GFGlobetrot-
    ter

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions! I am (sadly) going to leave Koh Phangan a day earlier than planned to make sure I don't miss the ferry/flight combo.

#5 Posted: 3/3/2013 - 21:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.