Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2 weeks in Thailand in November - first time to Thailand/Asia

• cbarns

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2013

Hi All,

I will be spending 2 weeks in Thailand in November, no set dates yet. I am looking for advice on planning an itinerary. I'll be arriving and departing from Bangkok, and would like to spend some time in the beaches, less crowded the better, surfing a plus. Other than that, I am up for anything and would like to see as much as possible, but not spend the whole time running around travelling. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

#1 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 13:01

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

"...would like to spend some time in the beaches, less crowded the better, surfing a plus...."
    Um, I can only help you with this on account I'm a beaches and island guy.

November is tricky because things are changing from wet season to dry season* most places except the southern Gulf islands (which have no reputation for surfing - sorry babe but if I was there any time of year I might throw myself and board off the side of one of the inter-island ferries and hope for some wake surfing).
    * wet season = swell, some waves although often sloppy onshore rubbish
    dry season = very very little swell

Anyway early November when wet season is maybe still going, Phuket is the place - I'd be heading to the southern end of Kata beach which gets some waves when the swell is up and has some board-hire places, even instruction if you are desperate. Thing abt Kata is that it is not exactly one of the less crowded beaches, although before high season it won't be too busy.
    Wally at Paradise Lost on Ko Kradan tells me Sunset Beach gets wet season surfible swell and occasional surfers - even if you don't get surf Kradan is one of the less crowded islands - as are near neighbours Ko Ngai and Ko Mook.

Gotta tell you I have seen dudes surfing tiny dry season swell at Ko Phayam and on Sunset Beach+Laem Pakarang at mainland Khao Lak (Khao Lak tends to be less crowded in November and is a good destination with the Similans, Surins, Ko Koh Khao, KoPhra Tong not too far away) but I really think any swell is luck of the draw. The way it works maybe is occasional monster swell from the southern Indian ocean makes its way up past Sumatra the the northern half of the Andaman coast - but this is a hell of a long way and so doesn't happen too often.

Hell I've even had a body-surf at Surin and Naithong at Phuket in dry season. But once again a lucky dip - I think in maybe 25 dry season trips I've seen surf on 3 or 4 occasions.

Other other less crowded islands in November when the weather is okay - Ko Phayam, littel Ko Chang Andaman side, Ko Phra Thong, Ko Koh Khao, Ko Similan, Ko Surin, Ko Yao Noi, Ko Yao Yai, Ko Racha, Coconut island, Ko Jum, Ko Siboya, east coast of Phi Phi, southern beaches Ko Lanta, Ko Libong, Ko Lao Liang, Ko Sukorn, Ko Bulon Lae, Ko Adang, Ko Taratao (last two are busy with locals on weekends and Thai public holidays as are the already mentioned Similans and Surins), Ko Whai, Ko Mak, Ko Kut.

#2 Posted: 9/2/2013 - 00:41

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

If you enjoy surfing, the internet can provide you travel guides, suggested itineraries, travelblogs, accom. reviews etc etc as well as maps.

The more research you do prior to travel will ensure a more positive travel experience. Come back when you have specific questions.

#3 Posted: 9/2/2013 - 01:56

• cbarns

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2013

Thank you, that is great info!!

#4 Posted: 10/2/2013 - 13:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weather in Thailand November 1st time backpackers ... By Kevandjace on 18 Jan 2013 9 4321 20 Jan 2013
first time in Thailand, November~ ideas, suggestions? ... By pamjane on 21 Jun 2009 12 3486 23 Jun 2009
Solo first time Traveller to Thailand from November onwards. Looking for advise and company :) ... By rubyforanparkin on 15 Jul 2012 11 3625 22 Jul 2012
First Time to Southeast Asia: Thailand and Laos or just Thailand? ... By jcro on 6 Dec 2013 8 1379 2 Sep 2014
3 weeks in Thailand and Myanmar in November 2014 ... By Edinburghgirl on 19 Apr 2014 0 571 19 Apr 2014
itinerary review - thailand laos - 3 weeks in november ... By timwillems on 7 Oct 2011 0 1346 7 Oct 2011
3 weeks with my gf...1st time in Thailand! ... By scootorama on 24 Aug 2008 15 2359 25 Sep 2008
1st Time in Thailand-2 weeks Beaches? ... By Arigato9 on 4 Aug 2012 3 1896 5 Aug 2012
First time to SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia) Tips on best places to go! ... By juliette13 on 5 Aug 2013 9 1376 6 Aug 2013
10 weeks in Thailand / SE Asia- confused about which way to go first! ... By noworries on 15 Nov 2011 3 941 13 Dec 2011