Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Looking for a lost relative

• questionans-
    wer

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

We're looking for a relative who disappeared a year ago, probably somewhere in Nth Thailand or Laos. He was in his late sixties, heavy set and neat, usually with large gold-rimmed glasses or wrap around sunglasses. He would also have worn a white floppy hat. We don't want to reveal the nationality as we don't want to upset the Embassy, which is also looking into it, but says that it is "overworked" with similar cases.
    He sent a lot of postcards from Thailand (he was not good with computers). He was there for just over a month. He wrote that he was going to Laos but no-one has received any news since. Has anyone heard anything? Two of us have already been to Thailand, but found no trace. He may well have been around Nong Khai area. The airlines can't help and, as I mentioned, the Embassy is run off its feet. All help appreciated.

#1 Posted: 14/2/2013 - 06:26

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

There are many men in Thailand (and plenty in Nong Khai area) who fit that description. It seems strange that the embassy doesn't want you to release any details. Including a name, nationality and/or photo along with the description is necessary if you actually hope to get any leads.

In any case, sorry to hear this.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2013 - 07:38

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

I've been going to Nong Khai and surrounding areas, as well as Laos every year now. but like above, without a photo or something it might be hard to tell if we've seen him.
    Hope you find him and if there's a way to show a picture or something, people might be able to help a little more.

#3 Posted: 14/2/2013 - 09:04

• questionans-
    wer

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Thanks DLuek and svendj. Yes, I don't know why they are so sensitive (my brother has been dealing with them) over at the embassy. We took up the photos and stuff when we were there, but when my brother told them down in BKK, they turned nasty on him. I'll go back soon, and will try to hook up then. Thanks again for getting back.

#4 Posted: 14/2/2013 - 16:02

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

If he was spending time in Nong Khai , it might not be a bad idea to take some photos to the Mut Mee Guest House. It's a long-time establishment in Nong Khai with numerous long-term and returning customers who are well-integrated in, and quite familiar with the ex-pat community. The community is relatively small compared to places like Bangkok and Udon Thani, but quite well-informed. And word-of-mouth travels quickly there.

#5 Posted: 14/2/2013 - 21:22

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

on my last trip to Nong Khai there was also a string of expat bars called Sunset Strip about two miles (three km) downriver from town that might be a good place to ask around too.

it seems odd that any western embassy would not assist one of their nationals abroad, so i wonder if there isn't more to this story than we've been told here. but if the embassy won't help, i might check in with the local police in nong khai too. they'd be in a good position to identify the person if they had come through town and if the person had been in any trouble.

#6 Posted: 14/2/2013 - 23:01

• questionans-
    wer

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Again, thanks to you Tilapia and exacto, for those hints. Most appreciated. When I go up I'll check those places out. I, too, am wondering if there isn't more to this story, although there was nothing unusual about him. Not that we know of, anyway.

#7 Posted: 15/2/2013 - 08:25

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

for all the dedicated emb-scolders; Now explain then what an embassy COULD do at all. The only ''things'' Thai burocrazy MAY have is some reports of hotels of guesthss of their guests-nothing of that gets into any computer. But many of the cheapos do not even do that-fear of taxman coming. There is a duty of anyone on long-term stay to inform Thai immigration of adress at least every 3 month-but noone chases after those who do not. Even most land borders/entry/exit (the white forms) are not online or not at all easy to check-for just checking if this person has left TH to Laos-after all there are at least 12 possible crossings.
    I once heard TH in its records have around 20.000+ foreign western persons entering and never left (acc. to the statistics).

#8 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 04:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's funny but there has been a guy kicking around here in Mukdahan for about a month now, maybe a bit longer, whom I've seen walking around who meets this description. He's always alone and as far as I know doesn't actually live here (the expat community is small and we usually all know each other). He is typically wearing knee length shorts, birkenstocks with socks (or some sandal like it) and a white boonie cap. I guess I've seen him half a dozen times or so. I suppose it's possible it's the same guy.

#9 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 05:40

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Great fashion sense.

#10 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 05:53

• Advertisement

• questionans-
    wer

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Thanks MADMAC. Although it doesn't sound like him - he was paranoid about skin cancer and always wore longs - you never know... If you saw him again, it would be great if you could get more info. Don't want to create problems for you, though. Is there any way you can contact me? I don't think that I am allowed to put up a personal email on this forum, am I?

#11 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 09:21

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

@MADMAC - in an offline message tipalia sent to me, he mentioned seeing someone similar during his recent visit to mukdahan. i wondered if it wasn't the same guy too. it would have been easy enough for the guy to drift down river from nong khai to mukdahan.

@Q&A - i can't see that it is fair for you to ask anyone to approach this person without you first providing a name and a photo at the very least. hopefully you can get in touch with MADMAC outside of the forum to provide this information. good luck. that would be something really special if it turned out to be your guy.

#12 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 11:06

• questionans-
    wer

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Hi everyone who helped. Sorry about this, but I've been told to pull my head in. My bignote London city sister has "instructed solicitors" blah blah and I've been directed to "desist" blah blah. First they ask for my help, and now... Bizarre is not the word. One day, I hope to get to the bottom of this. Thanks to all!

#13 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 10:48

• questionans-
    wer

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

PS @exacto, exactly! I wasn't going to ask MADMAC to do anything without giving him more details, but I could not do that here, which is why I wondered how he could contact me, given that his messaging was not enabled. In any event, it's all theoretical now, as I've been grounded.

#14 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 10:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Strange story. Why lawyers? Must owe some money to someone.

#15 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 19:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.