Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok Accommodation

• TravelingMan

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2013

Hello fellow travelers,

I've been looking for places to stay in Bangkok for me and my friend over the past few days, and quite frankly i've gotten a bit overwhelmed with the number of suitable options (I currently have 13 tabs open on my browser)!

I've read the travelfish listings, but im just curious as to what the consensus is amongst the forum members.

I'll provide a few criteria on what we're looking for, but please recommend any favorites!

- private room/bathroom
    - under 1200 baht/night
    - located reasonably close to markets/populated areas (still trying to figure out where the hot spots are)
    - We're 25 and looking to meet people, so a hostel with private rooms would be awesome

So far im interested in:
    - Sitara Place (http://www.sitaraplace.com/)
    - Thai Cozy House (http://www.thaicozyhouse.com/index.html)
    - Lub D (http://silom.lubd.com/)...doesn't have the private bathroom, but the location and atmosphere may make up for that
    - Hisukumvit (http://www.hisukhumvit.com/firstpage/index.php)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

#1 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 23:06

• Advertisement

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

My friend stayed at lubd this time last year and loved it. I stayed at chada guesthouse on koh San right above the subway, it's a bit loud because of the location but rooms are nice. Private rooms but shared washrooms. Very clean and cheap good people working.
    Also stayed in shanghai mansion last year, it's in a cool spot in china town. It's a bit more but you get a really good breakfast included. Bit quoted than koh San but an easy ride over.

#2 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 23:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I wouldn't worry about trying to meet people if you are staying there for a few days. You can meet people on buses or ferries or on tours. Location depends upon what you want to do. If you want to see the Grand Palace, Wat Arun and national musuem then somewhere close to the river is good or somewhere near a skytrain on the silom line. Take a look at tripadvisor reviews for B&Bs bangkok.

#3 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 23:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi T-man,

The main Bangkok hot spot, particularly for first-time visitors, is the Sanam Luang area right around Khao San Road . That's Bangkok's more historic area, and puts you close to Wat Phra Kaeo, Wat Arun, the National Museum, and lots of other great stuff. It is also near the river. Lots of folks consider staying right on Khao San Road to be a bit over the top. Obviously many don't as well. Several years ago I stayed at one of the places on your short list - Thai Cosy - and really liked it. The rooms were large, the staff friendly, and it included breakfast. I particularly liked that the reception was always open, becuase it was very early in the morning by the time we arrived after our flight was delayed. Thai Cosy is only a short walk from Khao San Road and close to most of the main stuff to do in the area, but far enough away to be a bit quieter. That isn't to say it is completely quiet, since there is a lot of day-to-day Thai street life right out front of the hotel. In any case, if you wanted to stay in the general Sanam Luang/Khao San Road area, Thai Cosy is a good choice.

The Silom area near Lub-D - another option on your list, is in the financial district and puts you close to Lumpini Park and right on the skytrain and near the subway for exploring the rest of the city. Lub-D gets good reviews on the board, so it would likely be a good choice for you too.

I'm not familiar with HI Sukhumvit other than the location along Sukhumvit Road. That's a busy tourist area as well, but typically for return tourists and longer-term expats. It is good for food and shopping, but doesn't have the high-interest attractions nearby like the Khao San Road area does. HI Sukhumvit is kind of close to both the subway and the skytrain however, which makes getting around pretty easy. Remember though, the skytrain and subway don't go down to the Sanam Luang area, which is where most of the gee whiz stuff is.

If you are only in Bangkok for a few days, don't stress too much about where to stay. Pick a place that looks good enough and have fun. You won't be spending too much time in the room anyway, and as mentioned above, you'll have good opportunity to meet folks on tours and public transport.

And while I don't recommend it for first-time visitors, my personal favorite in Bangkok is a place called KT Guesthouse in the Din Daeng/Huay Kwang area. It is a nice place in a real working-class Thai neighborhood and walking distance to a more traditional Thai-style market. There is also a very upscale hostel called Refill Now on the eastern side of town that is worth a look, just for comparison. Have fun. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 10:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.