n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Wondering if this itinery was reasonable

3 nights nong khai
    3 " Loei
    1 " Udon

Not sure if this is enough time or about right to have a good look around but still chill out a bit

Also not sure if we should stay outside town along the river in the villages but thought maybe a bit quiet at night.

Hotels we found are

Hirun - Nong Khai
    Sirimathani - Loei
    Centara - Udon

Any suggestions would be useful
    (we would be driving so don't need to worry about buses)

#1 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 23:26

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I like the Irish Clock for chillin' and sleepin'. A little more pricey than some, but I found it cozy.

I'm not a huge Udon fan, although there are some interesting archeological takes in the province if you're up for it. Would probably need two days though. I presume you are travelling around by bus or I'd say head off to Chaiyapum and highway 225. I loved that areas.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 02:10

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

car as stated.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 07:28

• seaflux

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2013

I've also stayed at the Irish Clock. It has that British expat steak and chips vibe about it, but the rooms were very comfortable and spacious and the staff friendly enough. Nong Khai is an excellent place to spend a few days. While you're there it is highly recommended that you pay a visit to Sala Kaew Ku. It's about 7kms out of town and is a large parkland filled with the most extraordinary massive scultptures depicting quite bizarre blending of eastern spiritualism, all hand built by a self-styled mystic. You won't be disappointed.

#4 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 21:42

• pisek

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2013

For Nongkhai, I think Royal Nakara is better than Hirun.

#5 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 02:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"car as stated."

You'd think I'd have noticed that...

The Chaiyupum loop is nice. At least I thought so. Like the foothills of the Herz Mountains. Not a lot of people. Some nice resorts. But, you'd have to axe something else to do it.

#6 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 02:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Looking at the map, there's not a lot to do in Nong Khai and it doesn't look that good in photos so will probably just visit for half day and drive west onto Chiang Khong and then onto Loei.

1 n Udon
    2n Chiang Khong
    3n Loei
    1n Udon

I think this will be better

#7 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 09:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I hate to ask, but why does Chiang Khong look more interesting than Nong Khai? It's the size of a postage stamp.

#8 Posted: 22/2/2013 - 02:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

More peaceful and I hear there's some water activities you can do. Nong Khai looks like any other town - it just looks a bit disappointing in photos.

The thing is we won't be pre-booking hotels so if we like or hate a place it's easy for us to stay on or move.

We are more interested in nature than towns anyway.

#9 Posted: 22/2/2013 - 10:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"The thing is we won't be pre-booking hotels so if we like or hate a place it's easy for us to stay on or move."

Good plan. I was just curious. I'm a city guy, more interested in towns and people than nature. Differnt strokes.

#10 Posted: 23/2/2013 - 02:04

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I often visit Bangkok so I get my city/people fix there. We will just fly into Udon, hire a car for a week and take it as we see it. Should not be so busy mid year so finding a good room on the day shouldn't be an issue or we will just book 1 day ahead.

#11 Posted: 24/2/2013 - 06:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah, you should be good to go. It looks like you've planned something to your taste - but if you like nature, route 225 was very nice. Some very pleasant mountain top resorts out there. I liked it a lot - and I'm not even a nature guy.

#12 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 04:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"The Chaiyupum loop is nice"

Would you start the loop from Khon Kaen and where else would you go?

Also looking at Lom Sak and Petchabun but don't know much about them.
    Might be able to stay up to 11 nights so looking at various options. Hard to decide.

#13 Posted: 3/3/2013 - 07:06

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

http://www.martinstrong.com/thai/Chaiyaphum.html

Most info I could find. Looks pretty nice.

#14 Posted: 3/3/2013 - 07:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah, depending on where you're coming from, Khon Kaen to Chaiyupum and then west along 225. There were some nice mountainside resorts along this road. The mountain scenery was really nice. There are some Khmer ruins in the province, but you would have to check to see exactly where - I didn't check them out because I didn't have time. When you hit route 21 you go north. This area is not very scenic, but from Lom Sak down highway 12 it's nice. If you work your way on lessar roads into the national forest I'll bet it would be interesting, but I don't know how car friendly that terrain would be - as you know I'm a motorcycle guy. But I loved the 225 and will do it again.

#15 Posted: 3/3/2013 - 09:32

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

#16 Posted: 3/3/2013 - 20:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Unforunately I did not have a camera with me when I made the trip. I wasn't actually planning on going there. I took a wrong turn and... there I was.

#17 Posted: 4/3/2013 - 01:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

But the photos look right. Same kind of scenery - maybe better on 225.

#18 Posted: 4/3/2013 - 01:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Couldn't you also go northwest from Udon via Sangkhom and Chiang Kham then take a left down via Lomsak (i think) to Loei? I've only done it by motorbike, but it is a beautiful trip and Sangkhom has some good guesthouses and a great laid back river scene (far lower key than Nong Khai).

From Loei could continue south via Khon Kaen to Chaiyaphum, and then loop back to Udon.

The big time sink would be the parks around Loei - there are three, all pretty solid & totally Thai destinations rather than foreigners (if that is what you are after).

Should also message Tilapia as he has cycled around there a lot.

/s

#19 Posted: 4/3/2013 - 02:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah, I have to do that Loei piece as well. My son has been through there and raves about it.

#20 Posted: 4/3/2013 - 06:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.