Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Anyone Up For Jungle Exploration to a Never-Visited Geographic Coordinate?

• gmichaels

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

Confluence hunting is a very cool hobby (www.confluence.org). You must somehow get to the intersections of latitude and longitude that are whole numbers (ie. 'something' 'point,00000') all over the world.

I have now made 2 attempts to get to the last remaining, 'unfound' point in Thailand: 15 North 99 East. The point is located in a kind of jungle area near Kanchanaburi , Thailand. But my travel partners to attempt these points have already gone home!

I have just discovered some hidden roads or paths that can get us to about 1.8 km from the point - the last portion may require jungling. We would rent a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle in Kanchanaburi for about 2500 Baht/day - we can try to get the price lower.

It could be tricky to actually get on these roads, but I found them on Google Earth. The area is a beautiful national park region and Karen minority people live there.

Anyone interested in an authentic adventure?

Greg

#1 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 02:42

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

If Karen live there it's not a never visited place as you say.

#2 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 05:07

• gmichaels

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

They live in the region, but there is so little human habitation, it could be that human's have never walked in the region of the point.

#3 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 06:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Could be the case in lots of remote jungles. 99.9% of the ocean has never seen humans, care for a swim?

#4 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 07:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Does it matter? It still sounds like an adventure....

#5 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 13:13

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yeah, sounds different and definitely interesting. Please update us here on how you went.

#6 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 22:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.