Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Samui - Choengmon or Maenam beach - better?

• ndecost1

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Which beach do you prefer? Choengmon or Maenam beach? Not for night life or anything like that. Just for a pure beautiful beach to swim in, relax by, and enjoy? We're looking for clean and clear water.

We are considering 2 resorts at each.
    Sala Samui resort and Samui Peninsula are located on Choengmon beach.
    Napasai and Santiburi are on Maenam beach. Although, Napasai says it's on the Ban Tai beach, which apparently is near Maenam beach.

Your opinions are much appreciated. This is for our Dec 2007 honeymoon. So far, Napasai is my favorite resort, but I haven't finishd researching them yet.

#1 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 02:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

They're very different beaches. Choengmon is quite small and more fits the "gleaming white sand" postcard idea, while Maenam is a very long, yellower sand beach, with quite coarse sand in places. There's far more places to stay at the latter and I've never, ever seen it overcrowded. Choengmon, given it's smaller size, gets a little more crowded and attracts more daytrippers at it is not toooo far from Chaweng.

All that said, if I was choosing one over the other, for a quite beach vacation, I'd pick Mae Nam.

I've not seen Sala Peninsula, but I found Sala Samui to be a particularly lavish little spot. The rooms were excellent with ample-sized private plunge pools and had all the mod cons you'd expect at their rather wicked prices. I also found the staff there to be outstanding -- and I mean really, really helpful and obliging. The pools down at the beach are well placed, overall I was very impressed -- I'd say Sala Samui and Evason remain the two top resorts on Samui (of the properties I've inspected)

Napasai is also very good, but personally I found Sala Samui to be the more impressive of the two. My impression of Napasai is clouded by the woman who showed me around -- very curt, with that patronising air you sometimes encounter at these high-end type places. The rooms were well decked out and pretty well positioned -- the pool was very photogenic -- as is the entire resort -- but I just felt it didn't live up to expectations. Yes it's on Ban Bai beach, which is around the western hook of Maenam -- it's a pretty isolated stretch, and from memory -- I could be wrong -- the beach was rocky out front -- I'm not positive though.

In my opinion, Santiburi is a non-starter compared to the above.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 17:29

• ndecost1

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Thank you for your post. I'm going to look into Evanson since you recommended it. I've also been told to look into the Le Meridian in Koh Samui. We are considering Sala Samui but I've heard the entire bathroom is outdoors. My fiance isn't crazy about that. We don't mind the bathtub being outside. But, he doesn't like the toilet being outside. We still really like Napasai, but I'll have to look into that beach more carefully now. I also like that Napasai is owned/run by the Orient Express Hotels.

I will cross Santiburi off the list if you think that too.

Thank you.

#3 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 21:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Samui (Maenam Beach) or Koh Chang?? ... By chrisa77 on 29 Aug 2007 6 2868 31 Aug 2007
Koh Samui Maenam Beach Glass Warning!!! ... By bowdie4733 on 13 Jul 2007 2 2542 17 Aug 2007
maenam cheer beach bungalows, ko samui ... By davesaunders on 1 Feb 2007 4 3057 24 Mar 2011
The Florist Resort, Maenam - Koh Samui ... By newbie419 on 5 Mar 2007 0 1455 5 Mar 2007