Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help needed. Broken Collar bone in Chiang Mai

• 2Peas

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2012

Hi,

well 12 days in to my 3 month trip with my girlfriend, i slipped on a wet floor in chiang rai and have well and truly broken my collar bone. I went to the hospital in chiang rai but it was pretty awful. I was offered surgery to pin it back together but in end was only given a very crap sling and some painkillers. We got a 3 hour bus back to chiang mai where my insurance told me to go to the university hospital here. I went this morning and the service was much better but again i was told surgery was not normally needed and i was given a brace to put on but it seems my bone is still sticking up towards my skin. I am in a lot of discomfort. I am due to fly home on 13th May but im realising i can not do anything i wanted to do on this trip down to the simplest things of basic tasks. My insurance have been pretty terrible and im still waiting on the doctors opinion from them. I am looking at having to go home. Is the chiang mai ram hospital superior and much more expensive or am i likely to receive similar treatment?

#1 Posted: 23/2/2013 - 03:54

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

sorry to hear about your collar bone. chiang mai ram is a first-class hospital. i have friends who lived in chiang mai for years and had several fairly involved medical procedures there with good experiences and good results.

the only other option i can think of would be to travel down to bangkok for one of the major hospitals there like bamrungrat or smitivej. but that's extra travel and the level of care should be about the same as chiang mai ram.

give one of them a look and get yourself fixed up so you aren't in pain and can enjoy yourself for the rest of your trip. i hope you are better soon. best wishes.

#2 Posted: 23/2/2013 - 08:51

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Try the Sriphat Medical Center which is in the same area as Suan Dok hospital on the Suthep road (due-west out of the old city). Ram is still good but seems to have developed an attitude with all the expat business, and they are expensive especially at the pharmacy window. Sriphat is my new favourite in Chiang Mai.

#3 Posted: 23/2/2013 - 10:09

• 2Peas

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2012

Ended up having to come home :( My experience of the sriphat hospital wasn't all that positive on my 2 visits. I was fitted with a brace which iv since found out isnt used here in the UK cos it cuts circulation. Which figures cos i went back because i couldnt feel my arms! haha they said 'ooops it too tight' and told me they didn't have any slings....aha

Now trying to heal up to go back out when i can actually dress myself...

#4 Posted: 7/3/2013 - 08:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice Needed: Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Maesai (Tachileik)-Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong-Huey Xai ... By Dyno on 12 May 2012 4 2823 15 May 2012