Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

help! can't decide on an island...

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Hey everyone!

My partner and I are looking to travel to Thailand in September for our annual vacation. I know it is in the middle of the rainy season but from what I have gathered on this forum, it isn't that bad is it?

Now our only problem is, which island to spend a week of relaxation mixed with some cultural insights? We are looking for something fairly quiet (so far I have ruled Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui out), somewhere with a little adventure (think hiking, waterfalls, elephant trekking) and somewhere with good food! I was contemplating Koh Chang but then my friend suggested Koh Samet and also reading about the other fabulous Thai islands on Travelfish has now got us all confused!!

Can anyone make any recommendations for us?!?!

Thanks a bunch!

#1 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 18:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish kay_kay!

Ko chang in September is wet and I mean WET. that being the case, I'd suggest alternatives -- ko Samet is good, convenient to Bangkok with loads of resorts and good eating to choose from, though it has little in the way of waterfalls (none in fact) nor elephant riding. You can do a bit of walking, but it's nothing too exciting...

Where does spring to mind is Ko Pha Ngan. It's close enough to Samui that if time is tight you can fly to Samui and get the boat over, there's tons of places to stay -- from 50B a night shacks to 50,000B a night penthouses. There's loads of trekking opportunities and no shortage of places to eat. I'm pretty sure (though not positive) you can do some kinda elephant riding there...

Best of all, the weather won't be all that bad at all.

Hope that helps get the confusion under control ;-)

#2 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 18:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Oh, and I forgot to say we're midway through updating all ourt Ko Pha Ngan content (all the new stuff should be all on the site in the next few days) so what you read on Travelfish is as fresh as a coconut that just fell in your lap!

#3 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 18:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey kay,

koh samet is one of my favorites and always a good getaway from bangkok, particularly mid week. but it is pretty thin on the cultural stuff you mentioned that you are looking for. there are a few good hikes to be had, and you can hire motor scooters to explore the island if you don't mind driving on what passes for roads there. the food is varied and excellent, with restaurants taking over the sand at night on the larger beaches. there are also a few daytime snorkeling trips that are worth a look.

check out the listings on the website to see if koh pha ngan has more of the things you are looking for and if the additional travel costs fit your budget. you can also fly into surat thani and catch the bus/ferry combo to the island. cheers.

#4 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 20:57

• MJS

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

maybe reconsider koh samui? i stayed at mae nam beach twice. it's quiet and families mostly stay there. and you still have the option of shopping, bars, muay thai stadium as well as waterfalls, elephant rides, snorkling, kayaking, ang thong national marine park.

#5 Posted: 13/6/2007 - 01:10

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Thanks for all the tips!

The info about Koh Chang was very useful! We don't want to be stuck in the rain for our vacation...

We will definately look into Koh Pha Ngan as that sounds quite nice. We were just a little reluctant about the travel time to southern Thailand because we are flying from Europe.

I have been to Koh Samui before and stayed on Lamai beach. I didn't really enjoy it there too much - esp when we went up to Chawang beach! I heard that Mae Nam is nice and I think we ventured up there but I would like to try a different island. Thanks for the advice though.

#6 Posted: 13/6/2007 - 19:47

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

oh could anyone recommend a nice beach on Koh Pha Ngan? not too crowded but also near amenities?

Thanks.

#7 Posted: 13/6/2007 - 20:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thong Nai Pan Noi is one of the best in my opinion.

#8 Posted: 14/6/2007 - 08:44

• paulburus

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2007

Check out www.kohjum-joybungalow.com at Jum Ialand, Krabi for quietness but it's season starts 1st of October. Be prepared to have 50-50 chance of rain in early October as well.

#9 Posted: 15/6/2007 - 11:15

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

There is a resort that looks nice on Chao Phao Bay. Any comments on that part of the island?

Are there ferries leaving from Surat Thani pier that go direct to Koh Pha Ngnan? We really want to limit our travelling time and avoid the bus to Donsak if possible.

Thanks paulburus for the suggestion...unfortunately due to our teaching commitments, we can't go for vacation in October.

Thanks again to all!

#10 Posted: 15/6/2007 - 16:07

• Advertisement

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

kay_kay, I suggest to go to Koh Phangan via Chumphong, not via Surat Tani.
    You can get night train from Bangkok (sleeping place) then get boat to Koh Tao / Koh Phangan. You can buy "complex ticket" (train/bus/boat) at the train station of Bangkok (Hualampong).

p.s. Also good idea is to stay 2-3 days on Koh Tao, very nice place.

#11 Posted: 18/6/2007 - 12:56

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Thanks Vlad for the suggestion.

We were planning on flying down from Bangkok though as we don't have much time so that's why I was asking about boats from Surat Thani.

#12 Posted: 19/6/2007 - 21:44

• cybervlad

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

kay_kay, you can see the schedule here:
    http://www.thailandday.com/Boattransfer/kophangan.html

By the way, before make decision you can calculate and compare how long it take to go from Bangkok to Koh Phangan using airplane/bus/boat and using night train/bus/boat.

When I travelled to the islands, I started from Bangkok at 7 p.m. and have been on the island before midday. There is no difference: sleep at the hotel or in the train, but when you sleep in the train you are moving in the same time :)

#13 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 12:24

• fangwantipa

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2007

Hey what about reconsider Phuket as well? You been to Phuket before? I did some elephant trekking and hiking there as well, also quite adventure. Maybe this site www.phuket-guide.com can help more :)

#14 Posted: 21/6/2007 - 00:03

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

To Vlad:
    Our flight arrives in BKK at 6.40am so we don't really fancy hanging around Bangkok all day to get the night train. We want to get to the beach asap!!

Here is a good site for details on ways to get to Koh Pha Ngan:

http://www.thaitrips.com/kohphangan/howtogetthere.php

I guess it does take about the same time travelwise whether it is by air/bus/boat or train/bus/boat but flying means we get to Koh Pha Ngan a day earlier than by train. Thanks for your suggestions though =)

#15 Posted: 21/6/2007 - 16:34

• cybervlad

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

To Kay_kay: no problem, you are welcome :)

To Fangwantipa: I think it is not so good idea to go to Phuket at September because weather conditions not so comfortable.

#16 Posted: 21/6/2007 - 17:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've also got a detailed story on how to get from Bangkok to the silly islands -- you can read it here.

#17 Posted: 21/6/2007 - 18:55

• fangwantipa

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2007

Hey Vlad, oh yes thats bad time. So you been to Phuket before as well? How do you like it??? I been to Patong Beach so many times and I really love the place :-)

Fang

#18 Posted: 21/6/2007 - 19:30

• prometeus

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2007

Nice read this thread.
    As my girl and I will be staying at Koh Pha Ngan, at the Thong Nai Pan Noi beach in September 2007.

Its always nice to hear from experienced travelers that that is a good place to go in september.

Maybe Cya!

#19 Posted: 22/6/2007 - 01:05

• cybervlad

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

fangwantipa, I have been in Phuket in December, 2004 (leave it 2 week before tsunami) and in November 2005 in transit to Khao Lak. In general, I like Andaman sea :)
    I stayed at Patong beach too, because it's a "center of life". I'd prefer not to drive when I take several beers :) Instead I'd prefer to ride on motorbike in the morning to quite paradise beach and return to Patong for the night party :) Or just go for daily diving.
    In Khao Lak I stayed at NangThon beach (before going to Similans safari).

#20 Posted: 25/6/2007 - 10:54

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

After about a week in Koh Pha Ngan, we have a few days spare. Should we use those days to stay on Pha Ngan or do you think we should venture out to Koh Tao or even Koh Samui? I have been to Samui before but my partner hasn't so maybe it is a worthwhile experience! We have already planned a few days in Bangkok..maybe three nights won't be enough in the city?!?!

Open to all suggestions! Thanks again.

#21 Posted: 25/6/2007 - 17:30

• bindergarten

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2007

Hi kay_kay,
    My husband and I are traveling to SE Asia for the first time in September. We're arriving in Bangkok on Sept. 2 and flying out on Sept. 30. We've only just purchased our tickets (we're traveling from NYC) so I'm only just now starting our research. It seems you've been gathering knowledge since December, so I just wondered if you'd share any tips with me?? We'd like to see a bit of Thailand, but also Cambodia and Vietnam too. One thing I definitely want to do is some snorkeling and relax on the beach for a few days... Advice? Tips? I think we'll try to stay on Ko Pha Ngan too, after reading the thread above.
    Thanks!

#22 Posted: 2/7/2007 - 05:23

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

hi bindergarten!

I am afraid my knowledge on SE Asia is not so hot. Thailand is always a great starting point. I have been to Bangkok and Koh Samui before. Island hopping sounds like fun. I have read that snorkelling equipment seems to pose a problem so it might be best to bring your own if you will be doing alot of that. Koh Tao seems to be the diver's paradise!

I think you will find a lot of other good threads on here with specific info..I can't help out too much I am sorry to say!

#23 Posted: 10/7/2007 - 20:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.