Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Heading to Cambodia during Songkran

• MikeScience

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

Hello,

I am arriving late on April 9th to Bangkok, I am hoping to avoid the craziness of songkran and head to Cambodia as soon as possible. How crazy will getting to Cambodia be during this time?

#1 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 02:34

• Advertisement

• WonderingTs-
    ar

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

the roads everywhere will probably be pretty busy with people heading home for the holidays.

What, exactly, do you mean by 'crazyness of Songkran' ? Songkran is a peaceful, spiritual festival. If you stay away from the tourist spots and big cities up North (Chiang Mai, BKK, esp. Khao San Road, Phuket, Krabi and Gulf islands), then the water throwing is usually limited to a few hours on the 13th.

#2 Posted: 3/3/2013 - 21:54

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

In Cambodia the New Year celebrations coincide with the Thai festival.
    Phnom Penh is a ghost town as most people head back to their village. Unfortunately, prices will probably double in Sihanoukville.

I have to agree with the OP on the craziness of Songkran. Certainly don't ride a motorbike as some idiot is sure to hurl a bucket of water over you as your speeding along. For some reason a lot of Thai men become thoroughly unpleasant and aggressive when they drink the local hooch and Songkran is an excuse to get totally wasted.The Khmer, on the other hand, become merry.

#3 Posted: 4/3/2013 - 00:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.