Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

good island for a writer's retreat?

• lukerock

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

looking for a place to getaway / focus on a writing project. any suggestions of locations and/or accommodations?

needs to meet the following criteria:
    - peaceful
    - not a party scene
    - spacious, rooms / bungalows not right on top of each other
    - secure rooms where computer equipment will be safe
    - constant electricity
    - reliable wifi
    - good variety of food (my brain stops functioning if i'm stuck eating the same thing day in day out. Need brain to write)

#1 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 01:43

• Advertisement

• mick77

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2013

I was in Kho lanta in 2008, was really amazing, bery peaceful place.

Lot of nice food on the beach, fire show when night falls on the beach.

Was at srilanta hotel, a nice eco lodge.

#2 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 07:21

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Lanta doesn't have much variety for food. Chang is better for that. Lots of bungalows around Khlong Phrao and Kaibee which are good and the food around Khlong Phrao is excellent. There's a great Issan restaurant there selling the real deal for cheap prices.

#3 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 09:50

• lanathai

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2011
    Location Thailand
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Don't come to Phuket - you'll never get any writing done! Well, actually, I'm joking of course (my handle is 'Phuket Writer' after all...). If you want an island with good infrastructure (internet, electricity) then Phuket's among your best bets in Thailand. Away from the main west-coast beaches (Patong, Kata, Karon, Kamala) there are many peaceful areas to stay -- up north in Nai Yang/Mai Khao, or on the east coast: Cape Panwa, Ko Siray, Ao Por. Good food in Phuket Town especially, both Thai & int'l. For accommodation there are plenty of serviced apartments that offer decent security. For bungalows, I'm not sure what to suggest but if you arrive in low season, just rent a car/motorbike, choose the area you think you might want to stay in, and drive around. The best-value options are usually not advertised online.

Phuket's about the size of Singapore and the hectic party scene of Patong is only a small slice of the life here - there are many rural areas with no tourists at all. I enjoy living here as a writer because of the variety: I can enjoy a peaceful retreat in my home but I also like how easy it is to get out and see a movie, find a cafe, do some shopping, grab a pizza, etc, when I need a break. (also, there are few better places than Phuket for gathering writing material/getting ideas -- many interesting/strange characters & goings-on here!)

Khao Lak (not an island though) in Phang Nga might be a good option, too. Quieter and possibly cheaper than Phuket. Fab beaches.

#4 Posted: 1/3/2013 - 06:14

• ciaociao

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2013

I hope you finally find a perfect island for your writing project. If someday you need a place to start your new project in Chiang Mai, try Ciao Ciao @ Chiangmai, as it has everything you need for retreat.

#5 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 08:59

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I don't know an island in particular that meets all of those criteria, most of the islands that would be nice and quiet and good for writing lack something(usually electricity/wifi) as the really good places get overrun.

One thing you might want to consider is getting an external supplementary battery that will provide you with enough power through the day while you charge it back up in the evening. This would allow you to stay on islands like Koh Phayam in Thailand or Koh Rong in Cambodia which I think would be 2 good places for what you are looking for. Most of the places on these islands only have power/wifi in the evening although some of the more expensive places might provide it longer(I know a more expensive place on Koh Phayam has their own generator they run all day I believe).

Another thing is to consider going to one of the other busier islands in the low season, would think that would work as well.

#6 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 13:32

• davixdy

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2008

Why should the OP need an island? For him seven initial requirements any place in Isan can be as good as any island...

#7 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 17:01

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

You mean other then the title which states he is looking for an island? lol

#8 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 17:06

• lukerock

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

thanks all. still undecided but leaning towards Lanta

want an island for that off-the-mainland state-of-mind. just a psychological thing for me. and the smaller islands are more my style

Koh Phayam looks awesome but yeah, need that electricity / internet any time of day

actually Koh Mak pretty much fits the bill, though I kinda wanna try someplace new

#9 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 04:38

• sparky

Click here to learn more about sparky
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2006
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 5

Koh Chang - has alot of quiet spots - at low prices...
    Close to Bangkok and does not have the "South" crime that occurs on Phuket...cheap bungalows

Put Bloggs and Koh Chang into google and you will be surprised at the number of people who choose this place to escape and chill..
    I go there every couple of years for a real break...

Good luck

#10 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 11:09

• Advertisement

• sparky

Click here to learn more about sparky
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2006
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Lukerock,

I saw the following and thought this would help with regards to Koh Chang...
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2012/04/05/ko-chang-noi-thailands-most-laidback-island/

Cheers

#11 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 01:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.