Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Looking for a paradise around Samui and surrounding islands...

Posted by chaimdan on 12/6/2007 at 22:19

Hi Guys,

My wife and I with our baby will be traveling to Thailand in August and are planning on spending 6 days in Samui or one of the surrounding islands. We are looking for a place that is great for relaxing, picturesque, quiet or private beach, hammocks, nature, nice sand (basically what you see in the Thailand Tourism - TAT pictures)... originally was planning on maybe hopping over to Ko Tao for a couple of days but now it sounds like it's pretty much busy there and not sure about natural beauty (esp. since we're not really planning on diving...)

I would like to have some activities available should we wish to do something (doesn't need to be right next to our spot)

Anyone if anyone can recommend an island, and perhaps a resort that would be great. Our budget is $100 a night if it's spectacular perhaps we'd go higher.

I noticed somtam mentioned Pha-Ngan, is that indeed the best choice for a postcard settings this time of year?

Thanks

#1 chaimdan has been a member since 12/6/2007. Posts: 17

Posted by chaimdan on 12/6/2007 at 22:26

Forgot to mention, palm trees are a must... (okay, at least a big plus) and the word tropical also somehow fits...

#2 chaimdan has been a member since 12/6/2007. Posts: 17

Posted by khunwilko on 14/6/2007 at 09:47

You're about 5 years too late for Samui. If you can handle the artificiality of resort hotels and don't give a fig about the environment, then Samui is the place for you.
Come to think of it, that applies to almost all the larger islands in Thailand now.

#3 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by exacto on 14/6/2007 at 12:05

i first set foot on samui and pha ngan in the early 90's, so i definitely understand wilko's comment about how much the places have changed. even so, i think there are some pretty nice not-too-developed spots to be enjoyed.

based on your description, i'd focus your research for samui in the mae nam beach area. it tends to be the more laid-back, quieter, family-friendly beach. plus you can always hire a car or a taxi for the day and explore other areas as well. your $100/night budget puts you way above what i'd typically spend, so i'm afraid i can't recommend any specific places, but i bet somtam can.

there are several other threads talking about pha ngan as the less developed, more paradisical choice between the two, so definitely check that out as an option as well. cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.