Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Looking for a paradise around Samui and surrounding islands...

• chaimdan

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Hi Guys,

My wife and I with our baby will be traveling to Thailand in August and are planning on spending 6 days in Samui or one of the surrounding islands. We are looking for a place that is great for relaxing, picturesque, quiet or private beach, hammocks, nature, nice sand (basically what you see in the Thailand Tourism - TAT pictures)... originally was planning on maybe hopping over to Ko Tao for a couple of days but now it sounds like it's pretty much busy there and not sure about natural beauty (esp. since we're not really planning on diving...)

I would like to have some activities available should we wish to do something (doesn't need to be right next to our spot)

Anyone if anyone can recommend an island, and perhaps a resort that would be great. Our budget is $100 a night if it's spectacular perhaps we'd go higher.

I noticed somtam mentioned Pha-Ngan, is that indeed the best choice for a postcard settings this time of year?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 22:19

• Advertisement

• chaimdan

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Forgot to mention, palm trees are a must... (okay, at least a big plus) and the word tropical also somehow fits...

#2 Posted: 12/6/2007 - 22:26

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

You're about 5 years too late for Samui. If you can handle the artificiality of resort hotels and don't give a fig about the environment, then Samui is the place for you.
    Come to think of it, that applies to almost all the larger islands in Thailand now.

#3 Posted: 14/6/2007 - 09:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i first set foot on samui and pha ngan in the early 90's, so i definitely understand wilko's comment about how much the places have changed. even so, i think there are some pretty nice not-too-developed spots to be enjoyed.

based on your description, i'd focus your research for samui in the mae nam beach area. it tends to be the more laid-back, quieter, family-friendly beach. plus you can always hire a car or a taxi for the day and explore other areas as well. your $100/night budget puts you way above what i'd typically spend, so i'm afraid i can't recommend any specific places, but i bet somtam can.

there are several other threads talking about pha ngan as the less developed, more paradisical choice between the two, so definitely check that out as an option as well. cheers.

#4 Posted: 14/6/2007 - 12:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bali and surrounding islands ... By ceast8 on 29 Jul 2010 2 2668 1 Aug 2010
Help with Similan Islands and surrounding areas ... By mattyoliver on 28 Nov 2011 1 791 28 Nov 2011
Paradise Islands??? ... By bholl on 8 Mar 2014 9 1904 28 Nov 2014
Paradise Islands??? ... By bholl on 8 Mar 2014 5 1154 10 Apr 2014
Paradise Islands??? ... By bholl on 9 Mar 2014 2 584 15 Mar 2014