Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travelling from Phuket to Koh Samui

• chills02

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Hi!

I want to take the road or the train from Phuket to Koh Samui. Which one is better. How long does it take?

Cheers!

Prashanth

#1 Posted: 13/6/2007 - 21:24

• Advertisement

• zenofish

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2007

Hi, I live in Phuket and have often wondered why this information is not more readily available. The BKS (Bor Kor Sor) national bus service, and the SRT (train service) don't really change their schedules much so info should be available to everyone... but it's not unless you're going to bangkok or coming from bangkok.

There are no east-west trains south of bangkok... so you can't get to koh samui from phuket by train.

your options are to fly Phuket-Koh Samui, Govt. Bus, or mini-bus. The mini-bus option is the easiest to organize primarily because you can arrange for it at any tour operator in phuket one day in advance and they speak english and they're motivated because they're earning a commission. it costs about 500 or 600 baht/person.

The mini-bus will take you to Dong-Sak, from there you can take a ferry to koh samui. The tour shop in phuket can organize all that for you.

The ferry leaves about every hour until 3 or 4pm, then it stops, so you have to leave early from phuket (6 hours before hand) if you don't want to spend a night in surat thani or dong sak. There's a overnight ferry, but it won't go if the weather or seas are rough and i think it takes 5 or 6 hours where the day ferry takes less than 2.

Anyway, the lonely planet has some good information and i recommend it if you are winging it and get stuck somewhere. lots of times, it's better to have street smarts and know who to trust... if you're like me and are street stupid, get a lonely planet. in general, the tour shops won't fleece you... they might take a tiny bit extra or they'll recommend you to stay in a really crappy hotel if they are somehow affiliated with the hotel or guest house.

there are mini-buses that take you all the way to Koh Samui. They often stop at a travel agency along the way and tell you to book a room at their shop because the rooms are really full on the island. it may be true, but you'd do better to just go to the island than to book a truly crap place like i did via the travel agency at double the price.

hope that helps...

#2 Posted: 14/6/2007 - 04:21

• chills02

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Thanks a ton for all the info. Very very helpful. I figured that a bus is the best way to travel from phuket to samui. Booking hotel rooms on the net. Can you recommend a good hotel in Phuket within 1500 to 2000 baht? Its my honeymoon...I am thinking of Club Bamboo and Deevana Patong...any other suggestions?

#3 Posted: 14/6/2007 - 04:37

• zenofish

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2007

Hi, it really depends on who you are and what you want... but patong is not really the best place to go for a honeymoon. it's full of bald beer-bellied german retirees who have retired on their pensions, bought a motorbike jacket, and have a tiny thai girlfriend who look like they've just graduated from highschool. kata and karon are still like patong, but much more manageable. better yet are places like nai harn or nai yang near the airport. also, the culture (and friendliness) of the thais is inversely proportional to the amount of foreign sex tourism that exists in a certain place. besides some streets in bangkok and Pattaya beach, Patong is the most "in your face" when it comes to sex tourism and it can be a bit of a downer if you are wanting to spend a nice time as a newly married couple. Then again, for some people it doesn't really bother them much at all and they just see all the craziness and think it's fun... it's difficult to say what will float your boats.

if you want relaxation, massages, spas, swimming, etc... you don't really need to be in patong for that and i would argue that you'd have a better time somewhere a little more remote like Khao Lak (even though it's low season... lots of rain) or one of the islands off of phuket.

I haven't stayed in too many places but my friends have enjoyed the Karon Buri hotel in Karon, some very upscale place on Koh Yao Noi. Nai Harn is chilled and relaxed, Kata Beach is like patong but less crazy. Nai Yang up North near the airport has the best beaches... sorry i can't be more help, i think trip advisor is pretty decent for finding what you want. I'm not sure, if you've never been to thailand before, then i suppose it's all about the journey of discovery that makes it fun... chances are though, patong won't really afford you many pleasant transactions with the locals that you would get in more remote places. I would recommend almost any island other than koh phi phi. Have you thought about Koh Lanta? Most of the hotel booking sites are the same, my friend works at this one and it's the one i use a lot when making bookings although google searches will yield you similar results... http://www.hoteltravel.com/

don't waste too much time looking for "the best deal" usually, things cost what they cost... it's just a matter of finding the best value and place you want to be.

cheers,

cheers

#4 Posted: 14/6/2007 - 15:43

• chills02

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

thanks a ton man! will definitely look up Karon and Nai Yang and the other beaches. I am planning to go from Phuket to Samui after 3 nights. So that should be a better experience. Thanks all the same for the help. Let me buy you a beer when I come there :)

Cheers!

#5 Posted: 14/6/2007 - 16:36

• zenofish

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2007

hi there, i am always up for a free beer! :) if you are in phuket and i am still here (going to bangkok perhaps or jakarta soon) my girlfriend and I might be up for it. you can write me at zleinfelder@yahoo.com, it's my trash/spam account so i don't necessarily check it all that often but perhaps if the timing is right we can make it happen.

cheers,

zeno

#6 Posted: 15/6/2007 - 18:12

• chris1dna

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2006
    Location United States

Hopefully someone can tell me if there are flights that go directly from phuket to koh samui? My past experience was that all flights went to bangkok first but since there are so many new airlines now maybe thats not the case any longer? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. Travelfish Rocks!

#7 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 03:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

i'm pretty sure bangkok airways is still flying directly from phuket to samui. check out their website for details. i don't think any other airline flies this route. cheers.

#8 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 05:05

• chris1dna

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2006
    Location United States

I will check that out. Thank you so much for the lead. I't so amazing this travelfish. And, it's free! Gotta love it!

#9 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 05:39

• gameson

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

Anyone know how to get to Koh Samui or Surat Thani from Phuket by any other transportation beside plane? All flights are fully booked from Thai Air or Bangkok Airways for 25,26,27 Dec from Phuket. :(

How long does the land transportation take to get there from Phuket to Surat Thani?

My plan is to go there from 27/28 and spend time in Koh Phangan until 4/5 January. Want to spend the NYE at Full Moon Party there... lol

If anyone is also planning to be there (Koh Phangan) and/or hopefully traveling from Phuket to Samui/Surat Thani/Koh Phangan, just email me at gameson AT gmail.

#10 Posted: 11/11/2009 - 07:11

• Advertisement

• SaraLouiseC-
    ampbell

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2009

Hello Gameson

I am also looking for a way to get from Phuket to Ko Phangan for the Full Moon Party on New Year's Eve.

I saw something online about Songserm travel. I found a schedule from Ko Phangan at 7am back to Phuket at 3pm, but I can't find it the other way around.

I will be leaving Phuket on Dec 31 so I need the fastest way possible (flights are sold out) and it looks like 8 hours at least. Obviously I want to leave as early as possible.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

#11 Posted: 14/12/2009 - 22:54

• chris1dna

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2006
    Location United States

I one too a bus from Phukett town to Surattani and caught the overnight night boat to Koh Samui. Very "local" way to go if you like that sort a thing. Actally, I got a very good nights sleep on the trip over.

#12 Posted: 14/12/2009 - 23:44

• chris1dna

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2006
    Location United States

I forgot,,the same overnight boat stops at Koh Phangan as well I believe....=) good luck and happy travels..

#13 Posted: 14/12/2009 - 23:45

• chris1dna

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2006
    Location United States

TY Exacto..=) Got a flight booked with Bankok airways.. Easy oneline booking no problems..

#14 Posted: 15/12/2009 - 23:25

• citi009

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

Hi wanted to know..I wanted to attend the full moonparty during the month of july...Let me know wat are the options travelling to koh phangan from bangkok & phuket ....I want 2 stay in phuket for 2-3 days and attend the full moon party......Need the cheapest option available ....

Cheers

#15 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 04:55

• melissatow

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2012

Hello,

I am travelling to Thailand ( Phuket - Ko Samui -BKK) in early-mid September.

Will be leaving Phuket about mid-September going to Ko Samui.
    Is it advisable to book flights online now for the Phuket - Samui flights, or just wing it and book it when we get to Phuket?
    My partner reckons we should be able to book it easy in Phuket, but I am worried there might not be any seats left.
    Also, is it the norm for flights from Phuket to Ko Samui to be around the region of AUD$100 - AUD$150 one way?

Any advice on air travel from HKT - USM will be heaps appreciated.

-Mel

#16 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 19:16

• chris1dna

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2006
    Location United States

It was close to full flight when I booked my flight. Barely got a seat a month in advance. . And it seemed expensive as well so no surprise as it still is apparently. I would book the flight as early as possible. Good luck.

#17 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 00:17

• melissatow

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2012

Thanks heaps for thumbs up Chris!
    Will defs book the flights at least I'll have peace of mind.

#18 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 01:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

WHOA!! All these 2012 questions on the end of a 2007 thread.

Guys, if this is you, please post your questions again as a new OP (Original Post) - that way you will get heaps more answers including from dudes like me get overwhelmed by too many different questions at once (its a geezer thing - but I got the answers, I promise).

#19 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 02:20

• RickWarren

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

When you arrive at Phuket airport you'll be decended on by well dressed taxi touts, you can get a taxi there and then over to Surathani but you'll pay for that. Best bet is to take a taxi to Phuket bus station where again you'll meet the mini bus touts who will set off for surathani when they have enough custom ,the mini vans leave roughly on the hour .No need to book just get to the bus station and you'll be good to go.

Best Regards,
    Rick

#20 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 15:03

• chris1dna

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2006
    Location United States

Difficult yo travel by train or road as its accross th gulf of Thailand. Lol! I would not recommend the bus as its a real fright of a ride. I'd say either take a car hire or the train to surrathanee and hop on a fast boat to Samui. Or as I did and take the slow nigh ferry. Good luck. Better yet. Fly.

#21 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 16:44

• malkiek19

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2012

How can I travel by boat from Phuket to Ko Samui , stopping on the island that has the moon parties? If someone can please be specific on the easiest fastest way to get there I am having major difficulty figuring it out online.
    Also I had to cut down on my time visiting the islands and have only 4 days. Would that be enough to do the seven island tour, visit the island with the moon parties and be in Ko Samui for 2 days?
    Thank You!!!

#22 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 01:51

• ericgsmith

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2012
    Location New Zealand

You will need to take one of the land going boats commonly referred to as buses if you want to get from Phuket to Ko Samui.

#23 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 02:55

• chris1dna

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2006
    Location United States

I think the answer is in this thread. Where are you on Phuket ? I took a bus from Phukettown to Suratani and caught a fast boat to Koh Samui. If you can't find on Internet try one of the hundreds of travel shops around the Island. They can book your tickets and direct you. However. A minivan might be a more peacefully way to travel. I will never take a public bus in Thailand again. Truly harrowing experiance.

#24 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 07:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling Phuket & Koh Samui in Jan 2013 ... By sheetalvishnoi on 30 Jul 2012 6 4298 9 Aug 2012