Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tips for crossing Chiang Khong and Huay Xai border?

• wheretonext

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2012
    Location Philippines

Well, to slow boat or not to slow boat? This is my first ever border crossing.

#1 Posted: 9/3/2013 - 05:59

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Border open 8am-6pm. Can be busy mornings when most people cross and head for the slow boat. Join the crowd and make some travel friends or go your own way. Can get a bus to Luang Namtha in 3-4 hours or all the way to Luang Prabang in 14-16 hours.

See travel info here.

How much time do you have for Laos? If a month go explore the far north more but if 1-2 weeks then get to LP, maybe side-trip to Phonsavan, Vang Vieng, Vientiane. If you're headed to Cambodia next allow a week or so for southern Laos, i.e. Don Kong or Don Det, Wat Pu, Bolaven Plateau, etc.

#2 Posted: 9/3/2013 - 09:14

• wheretonext

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2012
    Location Philippines

But I have heard so much horror stories about the slow boat that I think another transport option would be much better. Will there be buses from the borders direct to Luang Prabang?

I only have 16 days in Laos. Still not sure if I should head down in southern laos or cross back over to Thailand to get to Cambodia.

#3 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 06:21

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

What "horror stories"? The slow boat is basically you and 50 or more people floating downstream for two consecutive days 6 hours each. You get out at Pakbeng halfway and find a guesthouse and carry on the next day to LP. For some it can be boring or a bit too cattle-like, but for others it can be peaceful and scenic. Depends on attitude/patience and how much you like being lumped together vs. independent travel.

There are direct buses from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang. Schedule here. ("Bokeo" = Huay Xai)

Southern Laos is nice, but might be rushed with 16 days total. The usual route through north Laos usually takes 7-10 days then could grab an overnight bus from Vientiane to Pakse and still have some time for the south.

#4 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 11:46

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

well, mate, the slow boat trip is one of the highlights of many people who have tried it. please read the following thread especially the most recent posts written from late 2012 till 2013:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/3210_the-laos-slow-boat-thread

#5 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 08:47

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Most of the horror stories about slow boat are out of date, I don't think it is that much of an issue anymore. To me it was ok but nothing overly special, kind of like being on a loud airplane ride(individual seats and noisy so tough to talk and meet people) with nice scenery. Just note to avoid the back of the boat as some engines are very noisy. If you do want to meet and chat with others your best bet is to sit on the floor at front of the boat but then you won't be quite as comfortable.

If I were to do Laos again I would try the bus route to Luang Namtha, Udomxai, Nong Khiaw then boat up to Muang Ngoi and then boat down to Luang Prabang . The Nam Ou river was more scenic then the big muddy Mekong(I only saw it from Nong Khiaw to Muang Ngoi though) although the boats used only have wooden seats so aren't as comfortable.

If you do the Mekong trip and for some reason want to try the speedboat(I think it would be a blast) it wouldn't cost too much more to take speedboat from Huay Xai to Pakbeng and then slowboat to Luang Prabang, note this would still take 2 days. The river from Huay Xai to Pakbeng is pretty smooth and I don't see it being unsafe, Pakbeng to Luang Prabang was a little rougher water in places though.

As for other tips on the border crossing, have USD with you for visa, they rip you off on exchange rate if you don't(this is the same at most border crossings in SEA). Pictures are nice but they only charge you an extra dollar if you don't have them.

#6 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 11:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Border Crossing: Huay Xai / Chiang Khong ... By brucemoon on 20 Apr 2009 0 6441 20 Apr 2009
Crossing the Thailand/Laos border at Chiang Khong/Huay Xai w/ bicycles - February 8, 2013 ... By danlipski on 23 Mar 2013 2 2922 25 Mar 2013
Chiang khong Huay xai crossing ... By Stephc on 19 Mar 2010 3 4008 21 Mar 2010
Crossing from Thailand to Laos via Chiang Khong - Huay Xai ... By donnaansell on 1 Oct 2007 5 6310 17 Jul 2011
New bridge Chiang Khong - Huay Xai ... By Captain_Bob on 17 Jun 2013 0 1670 17 Jun 2013
Visa At Chiang Khong or Huay Xai ... By fragility22 on 3 Apr 2007 1 4382 3 Apr 2007
Chiang Khong to Huay Xai....visas ... By howitsdone on 27 May 2006 2 2778 13 Jun 2006
Stay in Huay Xai or Chiang Khong ... By paul123456789 on 16 Sep 2007 1 5053 16 Sep 2007
Chiang Rai to Huay Xai/Chiang Khong and on to Pakbeng. ... By DShearer86 on 23 Apr 2009 4 9245 18 Jun 2009
Chiang Khong crossing to Laos ... By Pjotra on 10 Dec 2013 12 785 19 Apr 2014