Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting to Chiang Mai Songkran

• GhostOfTomJ-
    oad

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2012

I'm planning on going to some islands in thailand starting on the 16th March and have a room booked for 7 nights in chiang Mai starting on the 11th April, I booked it in advance last night for songkran. How difficult is it going to be getting there though? I aim to be in Koh Chang from April 1st and will spend about a week there, but obviously I need to get from Koh Chang to Bangkok and then from Bangkok to chiang Mai just before songkran begins. My questions are:

1. Will I have trouble getting from Koh Chang to Bangkok? I would probably leave Koh Chang for Bangkok on the 8th or 9th in order to give me enough time to sort up my transport to chiang Mai.
    2. Trains seems to be out of the question, but will I be able to get a bus, or will they be totally full as well?
    3. Is there a good, reliable website where I can book buses in advance? I saw Thaiticketmajor but don't know if it is any good.

Flying will be a bit more expensive that I will be able to afford at that time, so bus is the best option, I know songkran is a crazy busy time, i just don't know if I will have trouble in those days before the celebrations travel wise,

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 22:29

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

1. You should be fine leaving Ko Chang around the 8th/9th. More people will be leaving FROM Bangkok during that week.
    2. Go to Mo Chit bus terminal at the northern end of the Skytrain and get any available seat. Chances of winging it are decent.
    3. Thaiticketmajor is a legit outfit. Plenty of seats available for the 10th (I just checked). Book ahead if it makes you feel better.

Come up and find a centrally located room that you can keep until at least the 16th. Bad idea to try to escape/move mid-festival.

#2 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 09:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Chiang Mai is overated as is Songkran. I wouldn't spend a whole week in CM. You'll be bored after a couple of days. Hire a car and go visit some of the Thai towns and countryside.

If you want to experience Songkran with a Thai atmosphere go visit Phayao. It's not full of tourists like CM and you'll get to see the real Thailand away from the tourist bs.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 10:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Mai for songkran ... By jackymoon on 5 Apr 2011 4 1598 5 Apr 2011