Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

songkran

• poey1111

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

Will be in Bangkok for songkran and plan on heading south after....Im not sure when to leave as i dont want to miss the any of then fun...would sunday 14 be quieting down or should i wait til monday 15....

#1 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 04:53

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would wait until Tueseday if you are not in a hurry. Everyone will be moving around Sunday and Monday, getting back to wherever.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 08:46

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The festival runs until the 16th so stay that long if you don't want to miss anything, BUT transport will be very busy so good luck getting a bus.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 03:20

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1.depends on how much filthy klong water you can have-it will last all that time, BTW the 14th is THE big day anyway.
    2.transport OUT of BKK is mainly a big problem BEFORE-for rather obvious reasons. Much reduced during SK and not overly busy from 15-16 onward-after SK its the other way!

#4 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 03:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

That's a good point by BKK. Leaving the city shouldn't be so bad after Songran, it's right before that there will be a rush.

BKK, I get the impression you're not a big Songkran fan.

#5 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 07:50

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

13th is the official day but it normally runs from the 11th to 16th with the water throwing

#6 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 10:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

BKK, I get the impression you're not a big Songkran fan.
    What's there to like about it?
    A lot of drunken AHs throwing buckets of water over speeding motorbikes!

#7 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 10:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sayadian
    What is there to like about it:

1. Drunk Thai village girls on the back of pickups flashing is always entertaining.
    2. Sitting in the kids pool in front of my house with my daughter firijng squirt guns as people go by is fun.

I don't work during this time, and I don't travel at all. I stock up on food before it begins, eat at home, and take a few days completely off. When I get tired of the water sports, I go inside, dry off and read or something. It's fine. Giant squirt gun fight.

I'm not a huge fan, but I don't hate it either. For a tourist I can see how it would be entertaining as there is no where in the western world with that same kind of public excess.

Word of warning to the uniniated though. A lot of drunk driving (even more than normal) takes place during Songkran. Do yourself a favor and don't travel anywhere during this period.

#8 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 00:32

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    'A lot of drunk drunk driving
    '

Exactly a lot of mangled bodies, a lot of aggressive Thai drunks. Since Thais can't hold their liquor.

Surely you can play with water pistols anytime, you don't need to wait for Songkran?

'Drunk Thai village girls on the back of pickups flashing is always entertaining. '

Are you serious?
    Most girls wear next to nothing anyway in the heat. It's the 21st century not the nineteenth.

I just don't see the hilarity in knocking someone off their bike with a bucket of water.
    Parades, concerts, public entertainment? No, just buckets of water. Duh! Might appeal to Homer Simpson.
    Now Loi Kratong has got something but Songkran sucks.

#9 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 03:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Exactly a lot of mangled bodies, a lot of aggressive Thai drunks. Since Thais can't hold their liquor."

You don't get mangled if you stay out of the traffic. And in six years of living here I have had exactly one drunk Thai get aggressive with me. And that landed him in trouble.

"Surely you can play with water pistols anytime, you don't need to wait for Songkran?"

It's kind of different when the whole city is playing with you.

"Are you serious?
    Most girls wear next to nothing anyway in the heat. It's the 21st century not the nineteenth."

Next to nothing and nothing are not the same thing. Songkran adds that extra something.

"I just don't see the hilarity in knocking someone off their bike with a bucket of water."

Don't ride.

"Now Loi Kratong has got something but Songkran sucks."

Lopi Kratong is kind of boring. It's OK, but frankly Songkran is more fun.

At any rate there is no point in complaining about it. That's like complaining about stone. It is, what it is. Some people like it, some people don't. But complaining about it changes nothing.

#10 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 06:39

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

You're right on one thing. Stay out of it. That's what I generally did. You must have some seriously powerful friends if you can handle an angry Thai drunk. The last guy I saw trying that was a 6' 6" Canadian. He took out quite a few but they wore him down in the end. I leave you to guess the rest of the story.
    The time I got caught by a bucket of water was my first experience of Songkran. I was lucky but seriously wanted to do some damage to the idiot that got me slaloming down the highway but what the heck it's all good fun.
    I'd say living in Isan you are more likely to be involved with a drunk driver at the end of the rice harvest. God help you then.
    As far as naked women. Thailand isn't exactly short of girls willing to take their clothes off ;-)

#11 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 08:06

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Well you should pick your fights. Fighting many guys at once is just dumb.

#12 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 10:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I have some friends... maybe not seriously powerful, but players. But I didn't need that. The guy was hostile to me at a bar I used to frequent (excellent band - which was the draw for me) and I wasn't doing anything but minding my own business. Unfortunately for him there was a cop there - off duty - and he came over and slapped the guy in the head and made him get on his knees and apologize to me. I didn't know the cop. But I also wasn't bothering anyone and I am always polite in public. Even with the hostile drunk guy, I stayed cool. Didn't show any negative emotion. The cop made him apologize and the owner threw him out. Never saw the guy again. That was years ago. I had a hastle once in Bangkok, but the guy wasn't drunk. Different story with a different ending. Out here, life is good if you behave half-way decent.

As for Songkran, a lot of guys see it like you do. But I've learned to enjoy it now. I wish it ended sooner, but I can withdraw when I want. For a tourist I can see how it would be fun.

#13 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 10:45

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Leonard
    Well you should pick your fights. Fighting many guys at once is just dumb
    Clearly you've never fallen foul of any guy in Thailand or Cambodia for that matter. If you fight one the rest always jump in whether they know him or not. The answer is never get into a fight because you can't win. Unless, of course you've got some local friends with influence.
    Madmac
    I reckon you are very very lucky. That guy lost face big time. He could have been waiting outside with a pistol. Maybe he committed suicide after such loss of face.

#14 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 11:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The cop had a gun. I don't think he did. He did lose face, but he brought it upon himself. I didn't leave alone. When I left (which was a full hour after he did) the cop walked me out (maybe he suspected what you did). I had never seen the guy before and never saw him again, so maybe he was a transient. At any rate, that was the only trouble I ever had. Now I'm six years in and have a lot of friends here. This is an easy place to live and stay out of trouble. We haven't had an expat killed here in 20 years (Mukdahan). And most of the guys aren't that well behaved (though I dare say they stay mostly to themselves).

#15 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 11:55

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Saya,

I don't think you understand how people operate. If there's one of you and six of them it doesn't matter which country you are in danger of being attacked by the whole group. Gang bashings happen all over the world.

I've mixed with lots of rough people and never had a problem. If you conduct yourself with respect you can be in bad company and be ok. People who get in fights usually ask for it.

#16 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 07:49

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"He could have been waiting outside with a pistol. "

That could happen in the US or UK. This isn't a Thailand thing. I know lots of Thais and none of them are aggressive or own guns.

#17 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 07:51

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Leonard
    I don't think you digested what I was saying.
    First off I was referring to aggressive Thai drunks looking for trouble not a lone farang looking for a fight.
    Next off you don't understand the mindset. It isn't a matter of one against six or seven. It's a nationalistic thing. If they see a one-on-one the Thai and Khmer will almost always jump in to 'rescue' their compatriot and leave the farang on a life-support machine.
    You haven't seen guns much in Thailand!
    You surprise me there. I just came from a village and most people have something to shoot with to keep the rat population down.
    Now Cambodia is entirely different six or seven years ago it wasn't unusual to see men walking around with an AK47 but the campaign to get them off the streets has worked and you rarely see them now except for guards at shops and markets.

#18 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 08:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Next off you don't understand the mindset. It isn't a matter of one against six or seven. It's a nationalistic thing. If they see a one-on-one the Thai and Khmer will almost always jump in to 'rescue' their compatriot and leave the farang on a life-support machine."

I think this is overstated. There are some ignorant, aggressive white guys running around there, and those guys - sure. But if I had a problem with a Thai here, I feel certain my Thai friends would come to my side right away. Maybe if they were really shady guys or drink or whatever. But I go out here plenty and I feel safer here than I did in Germany.

#19 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 09:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Saya,

You are 20 years behind the times. The days of one on one fights in the west don't happen very often anymore. It's much more common for all in fights. Just 2 months ago there was an all in fight involving 80 people at a fairly upmarket tavern that I've been to. There are so many reports of 3 to 1, 5 to 1 bashings even including kids and women. One case last year involved 12-15yos beating up an off duty cop and his gf. A lot of nightclubs don't sell alcohol in glass anymore at night due to glassings which again have involved women.

This stuff is happening all over the world and it's not a nationalistic thing, it's more likely to be race related or just groups of friends.

I've seen groups of people fighting on the street and one guy ran full speed at a guy on the ground and kicked him in the head as hard as he could. This wasn't even race related as they were all white, just young aggressive drunks.

#20 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 09:54

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"But I go out here plenty and I feel safer here than I did in Germany."

I would agree. I feel much safer and less likely to be involved in a fight in Thailand.

"I feel certain my Thai friends would come to my side right away"

Exactly, Thais are very protective of their relatives and guests, even if you are a farang.

I think this Saya bloke has been listening to too many stories from mad farangs.

#21 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 09:58

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I think you guys are blowing what I said out of proportion. I didn't state that Thailand or Cambodia was some war zone where people were constantly on the end of a battering because of the colour of their skin. The fact is (and Madmac of course your FRIENDS will stick with you I was talking about drunk, aggressive strangers) it is something that happens. Certainly I wouldn't advise you to get into a fight with a Khmer in the street or you'll find all the tuk-tuk drivers and the rest of the hoi poloi jumping in. Conversely, just like you Madmac I feel pretty safe in parts of Phnom Penh because I have many Khmer friends there.
    Anyway, this is me teaching granny to suck eggs. None of us is likely to get into this situation because we understand the culture. You just can't say it never happens.

#22 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 11:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well there are white guys who do get into trouble out here. But again, it's almost always guys who don't behave themselves. Be polite, say you're sorry if you do something wrong, and you shouldn't have any problems out here. As I said, we haven't had a white guy get killed out in coming on 20 years now. It's been a long time.

#23 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 11:15

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

We aren't saying it doesn't happen, it's happening all over the world. You tried to make out that gang bashings are only a Thai/Cambodian thing. If some arrogant drunk farang goes around causing trouble and 6 tuk tuk drivers bash him for being an arse I'm not going to feel sorry for the farang who started it.

#24 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 11:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, this thread had some life. Poey, let us know how your Songkran experience goes. Hope you enjoy it. I plan to have a good time with it this year.

#25 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 11:38

• poey1111

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

Will do mac,booked flight down south on 15th as best option....cheers for entertaining posts lads,im not a drunken young lad and am respectful to all citizans....thanks again!

#26 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 17:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.