Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Day Room in Bangkok

• beeker

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

Hi,

We will be travelling to Vietnam in two weeks, with a transfer in Bangkok.

We will have a day to spend in Bangkok, and because of the long flights we would like to organise a day-room - a hotel room for a few hours during the day.

On Agoda I have found some hotels which offer this but they are at the airport and we would prefer somewhere more central, preferably near Khao San Road.

Can any of you nice people recommend somewhere?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 10:19

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If you are transferring and only there for part of a day why not just use something at the airport? Go out and see the sights and then go back and rest if/when you get tired.

If you really want a place just look for a place with early check in(if needed) and then book a night and leave early.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 11:33

• beeker

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

Thanks for the reply Geer1.

We normally would do as you suggest but on this trip we are coming in and going out of different airports. I should've been clearer with the details before.

We arrive at Don Muang Airport at 11am and need to be Suvarnabhumi Airport for midnight. Because of the distance, there's no point in going to Suvarnabhumi to drop off bags and then going back into the city.

It'd be good to have a room where we can drop the bags off and maybe have a shower. Head out for the day, see the sights, then pick up the bags and go for dinner and drinks before leaving for the airport for midnight. Perfect.

A few hotels near the airport offer a room for 8hrs anytime between 8am-10pm for 15USD.

I'm looking for something similar in the city, if anyone can recommend anything. Thanks.

#3 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 16:49

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

I've booked a cheap guesthouse room just for the day before - if its just to leave you bags & have a wash/brush up, and maybe a quick snooze - it doesnt needs to be anything too snazzy. Theres plenty of places round the edges of khao san rd that are only a few hundred bhat, so doesnt really matter if you check out on the same day.

#4 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 17:07

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Personally I would arrive in Don Maung, take the free shuttle to Suvarnabhumi(works good, just did it) and drop my bags off there and if needed clean up a tiny bit using the sink in the washroom. Then you can easily hop onto the SARL to get into town, depending on where you want to go can connect to Skytrain and MRT easily to see just about anything and it will only cost a few bucks.

Unless you are worried about not having enough energy for the day and thinking you will need to take a nap at some point I personally wouldn't bother with a guest house and having to carry your bags around at all.

But if you are set on it or think you may be tired then just book one of the cheaper places online, it will only cost you 10-15 bucks. It will be check in time by the time you get there and then you can leave whenever you want to go to airport. No need to try and find some specialized 8 hour type place.

#5 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 18:57

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

If I were in your situation, I'd contact this place called Baan Cedarburg -- easy walk from On Nut BTS station and not too far from Suvarnabhumi. Very chill guesthouse/hostel with a super accommodating staff. I imagine if you contact them and explain your situation they might be flexible on the price, although one dorm bed would only cost 300 baht and that would be enough to get you a shower and a place to keep your stuff for the day. From Don Muang, you could catch a taxi to Mo Chit BTS station, then take it all the way down to On Nut (you wouldn't need to change trains), drop your stuff at Baan Cedarburg, go back into the city via the BTS to explore, and come back at night, just stopping by to pick up your stuff en route to the airport. There website is http://www.bangkok-guesthouse.com/.

#6 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 23:36

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Tons of cheap rooms in the vicinity of KSR. Just get a taxi from DMK there find a room drop bags and head out for the day. Then come back shower and taxi to BKK before midnight. Some places might discount if you leave before around 6pm but later than that probably charge same as overnight, but so what it's still cheap.

#7 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 03:11

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

of course bob is right- the advice to take the (yes, its free) shuttle to BKK=takes 1 hr=wait, then the train=30 mins+taxi=about 3 times as long as a direct taxi DMk-KSR, or in fact last time I did it with van+bus in 44 mins.
    around KSR SWARMS with cheap guesthss-and all are willing to rent rooms-200 is enough and many do even half price till 18.00-all are glad to have a room fresh+ready again for someone walking in by midnite anyway. do NOT prebook-just walk and take what you fancy.
    More and more I see young newbees pretending to be wise and advising the most idiot ways roundabout and unable to step over their eternal fears of fullness etc.

#8 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 03:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"On Agoda I have found some hotels which offer this but they are at the airport and we would prefer somewhere more central, preferably near Khao San Road ."

I dare not ask why Khao San Road - I call it freak show central. Assuming you are coming from an a long distance flight, though, I can see why you would want to get some down time. I think I'd follow D-Luek's advice on this one, given the info you've provided.

#9 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 06:06

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Khao San is a hole and too far from the airport. Just find a cheap guesthouse near the skytrain in Sukhumvit which is much closer to the airport.

http://www.bookbangkokhotels.com/bangkok/serviced_apartments/s_v_guest_house/photos.html

This place is fine and a short walk to the skytrain.

#10 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 10:12

• Advertisement

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

KS road might not be everyones cup of tea but it is vibrant and alive.

#11 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 13:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

There's nothing on KSR and it's far from the skytrain or airport.

#12 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 21:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"KS road might not be everyones cup of tea but it is vibrant and alive."

Patpong is vibrant and alive too - but I wouldn't advise people to go there.

#13 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 00:18

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

It'd be good to have a room where we can drop the bags off and maybe have a shower. Head out for the day, see the sights, then pick up the bags and go for dinner and drinks before leaving for the airport for midnight. Perfect.

There are several good ideas here, but based on the OP's statement above, I'd say the Khao San Road area idea best fits what they want. They'll easily find an inexpensive room where they can drop off bags and have a shower, and head out for the day. KSR developed where it is because it is so close to most of the main first-time-to-bangkok attractions. If I only had one day to check out the city, and wanted to see as much as I could in that one day, I'd head to the KSR area too. From a logistics point of view, it is a solid choice, and traffic to the airport shouldn't be that bad when they need to leave by 9 pm.

If I were looking just to mostly relax and maybe just wander around a little bit, then I'd go with DLuek's suggestion. In fact, I did something very similar on my last trip out of BKK with a similar late night departure. But I stayed at Refill Now! instead of Baan Cedarburg. Refill Now! had great showers, comfy bunks, a small pool, and was down a quiet back street, where I had a nice wander. Baan Cedarburg looks like a better deal, however, and it is hard to beat being that close to the skytrain.

Hey beeker, let us know what you decided and how it worked out. Cheers.

#14 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 00:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Exacto as usual has valid points here. But assuming this individual has not been to KSR itself, it's good that he's forewarned about that particular location. If there are three places I would steer people clear of in Bangkok it would be KSR, Nana and Patpong.

#15 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 06:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

For a short stay being near the skytrain is much better. It allows quick access to much of the city. You can get to the river and take a ferry to see Wat Arun or cross over for Wat Po. You can visit MBK shopping centre and the street food outside MBK is very good.

#16 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 10:38

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

ssuming you are advancing from an a continued ambit flight, though, I can see why you would wish to get some down time. I anticipate I'd chase D-Luek's admonition on this one, accustomed the advice you've provided.
    cheap flights deals USA

#17 Posted: 15/3/2013 - 12:54

• beeker

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

Thanks for all of your helpful advice.

I've been meaning to check back for ages but got really busy with work and have barely seen daylight in a week. But we leave for SE Asia tomorrow evening so I don't mind. :)

I'm still not totally sure what we'll do yet. We have an overnight stopover in Bangkok on Saturday and have booked a hotel in Sukhumvit. We'll maybe see what it's like and keep it in mind for when we come back. Or we can have a look around some other hotels/guesthouses nearby.

I'm liking the sound of the food court at MBK.

#18 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 08:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Have a great trip man. Let us know how it goes.

#19 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 12:24

• beeker

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

Thanks mate. Can't wait!

#20 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 12:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.