Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Samet Accomodation

• Pongdog

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2013

Hi, looking for some good ideas on location and accom on Koh Samet Thailand for my partner and myself in a couple of weeks time, up to around the 2500 baht mark per night, any help appreciated.

#1 Posted: 16/3/2013 - 04:30

• Advertisement

• Bodlagz

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2010

For that price everything is much of a muchness, you get what you pay for, avoid the beach huts, they can be rather shoddy. Look for something on Vong Duern or White Sand Beach, I stayed at Malibu Resort on Vong Duern about 2 years ago, price was about 1500 baht and the rooms were acceptable but not fantastic. You might consider booking for one or two nights then you have the option to move.

#2 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 00:22

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Last October I stayed at Samed Villa at the southern end of Ao Phai for about that price. Nice comfy bungalows, good restaurant, close to a little nitelife but still quiet for sleeping. Then wake up and walk the short path to Ao Tubtim the next beach over for the best swimming & sand with less crowds. Or just stay at Tubtim Resort then no need to move. Both highly recommended.

#3 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 02:26

• Pongdog

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2013

Bodlagz and Captain_Bob, thanks for the replies, gives me some more to look at and I appreciate that, whats your thoughts on just turning up and finding somewhere? I know from Phi Phi and Samui etc always plenty of good places that do not advertise but never been to Samet.

#4 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 04:30

• Bodlagz

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2010

Hi Pongdog, let me apologize first, i meant to say Diamond Beach (Hat Sai Keaw) not white sand beach. Anyway if you head to Hat Sai Keaw (diamond beach) or Vong Duern Beach you should have no problem finding accommodation, but take into account the time of year, will it be Songkran (many people go to Samet to escape Songkran), and will it be weekend ??.
    Take the ferry or speedboat from Ban Phe, ignore all the touts on the pier, you can get a baht bus type truck to any of the beaches once you arrive on the island, lots of resorts within walking distance of each other on Vong Duern and Hat Sai Keaw.
    Be aware you might have to pay National Park entrance fee, can't remember how much, maybe a couple of hundred baht.

#5 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 05:11

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Samet gets invaded by Bangkok tourists on almost any given weekend, so avoid showing up on a Friday/Saturday expecting to find a vacancy. Same would apply during any big festival e.g. Songkran or Buddhist holidays like Ohk Phansa, and of course the Christmas/NY high season for foreigners. Other times, mid-week, yes you should be able to find somewhere satisfactory on arrival, but best to show up mid-morning when most folks are checking out.

#6 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 05:12

• Pongdog

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2013

Yeah thanks guys, was looking at around 28th this month until about 2th April but have noticed lot of places booked out for weekend. Might have to do as suggested, book down for the weekend to get in then book up after weekend or just do the Monday to Friday thing. Really appreciate your help. Thanks once again

#7 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 05:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Tubtim resort is reasonable and the beach is good there. I also found the food to be good at their restaurant. Now the downsides are Samet seems to have more mozzies than most areas in Thailand as there is a rubbish problem on the island. There's also little to do but if it's just for 2-3 nights then that's ok. If you want to stay for 5 nights I would suggest Ko Chang instead which is a bigger and better island overall.

#8 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 22:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Samet-accomodation ... By katrinaconstan on 20 Mar 2011 2 2127 27 Aug 2012
Travel to Koh Samet and cheap accomodation ... By Winstan on 23 Feb 2012 0 1099 23 Feb 2012
accomodation in koh samet for the long weekend ... By poxybolt on 25 Nov 2008 3 1628 26 Nov 2008