Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Samet Accomodation

Posted by Pongdog on 16/3/2013 at 04:30

Hi, looking for some good ideas on location and accom on Koh Samet Thailand for my partner and myself in a couple of weeks time, up to around the 2500 baht mark per night, any help appreciated.

#1 Pongdog has been a member since 16/3/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by Bodlagz on 17/3/2013 at 00:22

For that price everything is much of a muchness, you get what you pay for, avoid the beach huts, they can be rather shoddy. Look for something on Vong Duern or White Sand Beach, I stayed at Malibu Resort on Vong Duern about 2 years ago, price was about 1500 baht and the rooms were acceptable but not fantastic. You might consider booking for one or two nights then you have the option to move.

#2 Bodlagz has been a member since 28/6/2010. Posts: 5
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 17/3/2013 at 02:26

Last October I stayed at Samed Villa at the southern end of Ao Phai for about that price. Nice comfy bungalows, good restaurant, close to a little nitelife but still quiet for sleeping. Then wake up and walk the short path to Ao Tubtim the next beach over for the best swimming & sand with less crowds. Or just stay at Tubtim Resort then no need to move. Both highly recommended.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by Pongdog on 17/3/2013 at 04:30

Bodlagz and Captain_Bob, thanks for the replies, gives me some more to look at and I appreciate that, whats your thoughts on just turning up and finding somewhere? I know from Phi Phi and Samui etc always plenty of good places that do not advertise but never been to Samet.

#4 Pongdog has been a member since 16/3/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by Bodlagz on 17/3/2013 at 05:11

Hi Pongdog, let me apologize first, i meant to say Diamond Beach (Hat Sai Keaw) not white sand beach. Anyway if you head to Hat Sai Keaw (diamond beach) or Vong Duern Beach you should have no problem finding accommodation, but take into account the time of year, will it be Songkran (many people go to Samet to escape Songkran), and will it be weekend ??.
Take the ferry or speedboat from Ban Phe, ignore all the touts on the pier, you can get a baht bus type truck to any of the beaches once you arrive on the island, lots of resorts within walking distance of each other on Vong Duern and Hat Sai Keaw.
Be aware you might have to pay National Park entrance fee, can't remember how much, maybe a couple of hundred baht.

#5 Bodlagz has been a member since 28/6/2010. Posts: 5
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 17/3/2013 at 05:12

Samet gets invaded by Bangkok tourists on almost any given weekend, so avoid showing up on a Friday/Saturday expecting to find a vacancy. Same would apply during any big festival e.g. Songkran or Buddhist holidays like Ohk Phansa, and of course the Christmas/NY high season for foreigners. Other times, mid-week, yes you should be able to find somewhere satisfactory on arrival, but best to show up mid-morning when most folks are checking out.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by Pongdog on 17/3/2013 at 05:31

Yeah thanks guys, was looking at around 28th this month until about 2th April but have noticed lot of places booked out for weekend. Might have to do as suggested, book down for the weekend to get in then book up after weekend or just do the Monday to Friday thing. Really appreciate your help. Thanks once again

#7 Pongdog has been a member since 16/3/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 17/3/2013 at 22:42

Tubtim resort is reasonable and the beach is good there. I also found the food to be good at their restaurant. Now the downsides are Samet seems to have more mozzies than most areas in Thailand as there is a rubbish problem on the island. There's also little to do but if it's just for 2-3 nights then that's ok. If you want to stay for 5 nights I would suggest Ko Chang instead which is a bigger and better island overall.

#8 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.