Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Need help with Gov\'t pension from AU retiring in Thailand.

• donald1

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2013

I was wondering if anyone is retired or going to retire in Thailand and is
    collecting the Australian Government Pension? I understand i will have to jump through
    many hoops to accomplish this with not much trouble.

Any help or guidance will be very appreciated.
    Thank You

#1 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 00:36

• Advertisement

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

Have a look on thaivisa.com forums, there are a few threads there.
    It is a very confusing situation, with the Centrelink people not really knowing what is correct. There is an International dept located in the Hobart office, who generally have some idea. Start your enquiries there, but read up on the blogs first, to get some idea of what you will be facing.
    Can't help with personal experience, not in that situation.

#2 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 19:31

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Well if you are already drawing your Au pension it is probably being sent to a bank. Wouldn't that continue even if you left your country?

I am retired. My pensions go to banks and credit unions back home. (US.) I can access those funds when I am in Thailand through ATM withdrawals or bank transfers.

To qualify for a Retirement Visa for Thailand you should be age 50 or over. Being in good health helps too. (Too many old expats getting sick without medical insurance is becoming a burden according to some recent Thai Visa postings.)

You should have a sufficient verifiable pension and/or sufficient funds to support yourself. You are not allowed to work in Thailand.

If you have not been to Thailand before visit first. Take the time to talk to some of your fellow countrymen in person. Don't burn your bridges behind you!
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

#3 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 21:56

• dragonseeker

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011
    Total reviews: 8

The grey area seems to be whether centrelink classifies you as a resident of Australia or not. If not they will (As I understand) suspend your pension. I am eligible for an Australian pension but haven't applied. I believe that when I return to Australia, if I am classified as a non resident there is a two year waiting period before I can receive the age pension.
    I would recommend that you are careful who you notify change of address to. I changed my car registration renewal address as my home is rented and received at the new address a letter from the Australian Electoral Commission asking if I wanted to change my electoral address. Whether there is a link to centrelink I don't know.
    It would be good to know the exact guidelines.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 06:28

• dragonseeker

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011
    Total reviews: 8

The grey area seems to be whether centrelink classifies you as a resident of Australia or not. If not they will (As I understand) suspend your pension. I am eligible for an Australian pension but haven't applied. I believe that when I return to Australia, if I am classified as a non resident there is a two year waiting period before I can receive the age pension.
    I would recommend that you are careful who you notify change of address to. I changed my car registration renewal address as my home is rented and received at the new address a letter from the Australian Electoral Commission asking if I wanted to change my electoral address. Whether there is a link to centrelink I don't know.
    It would be good to know the exact guidelines.

#5 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 06:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.