Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Recommendations on places to stay in Koh Lanta?

• chonkyt

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2013

I'm headed to Koh Lanta next week for part of an Andaman Islands honeymoon. We're unsure of what areas to stay, and if it makes sense to hop around from one place to the other while on the island or whether we should just stay in one place and motorbike around. We'd like to stay away from the more populous northern area, and we're looking at a few days on the west coast about halfway down the island (Khlong Nin, Khlong Khong, Relax Bay) and a few more in the south (near Kantiang, Khlong Jak). Ideally, I'm interested in a moderate/flashbacker spot (~2000 baht) and a nicer spot (~3000-4000), but am open to anything except the pricey resorts. I'd also like to know of any really cheap places (I have to experience the budget options at least once on my trip, right?) that are great but wouldn't scare my wife off in case I can convince her to go on the cheap.

Background on us: We're both 37 going on 29 and headed to Thailand for the first time, from Portland, Oregon. Despite being American, we're very relaxed people looking to chill out and drink. We love to have fun, but we're not the clubbin' type, if that makes sense. The nightlife of Koh Phi Phi sounds like a nightmare, and Koh Lanta sounds like it's way more our speed.

My questions are:
    What are your favorites areas to stay and why?
    Is it cool to just show up with no reservations?
    Can we just rent scooters for the four days we're there and use those as transport?
    Can we hit Old Lanta on a day trip, or do we need to stay overnight there?
    We've heard Khlong Khong can get smelly - true or false?
    Kayaking: best place?
    Ko Muk day trip: what are the logistics (time, price)?

Has anyone stayed at, or have an opinion on, any of the following:
    Relax Bay Resort in Relax Bay
    Lanta Top View Resort in Kantiang
    Where Else in Khlong Khong
    Lanta Ilmare Beach Resort in Khlong Nin
    Sri Lanta in Khlong Nin?

We're also staying in Railay Bay for a few days and Bangkok (but already have accommodations for both) if you have any tips. I'm very excited for Ton Sai if that gives an idea of our personalities.

If you have any recommendations on places to stay or things not to be missed, I'd be eternally grateful!

#1 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 01:29

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I've stayed at Relax Bay and Ilmare. Relax Bay is a more secluded beach but the bungalows weren't so good. Ilmare has nice rooms and a more open beach which is fairly nice. I'd probably stay at Kantiang Bay if I went again though, the beach there is probably the best.

Old Lanta town is fairly boring. You can visit it but don't expect much. The viewpoint restaurant on the way is the highlight.

Not busy right now so just show up and bargain for the room.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 06:57

• mdeezine

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

Hi Chonkyt, its been a while but curious if you had a trip report? Your description of who you are and what you are looking for sounds just like us (sub Sacramento, CA for Portland) so would love to hear about your experience.. Thanks!

#3 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 23:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help needed for places to stay on Koh Lanta ... By swenglishdan on 10 Jan 2007 0 2243 10 Jan 2007
Cheap places to stay for single traveller in Railay and Ko Lanta ... By madSEM on 19 Jan 2010 3 5043 20 Jan 2010
Ko Lanta : Stay recommended at Houben or Crown Lanta? ... By prabs30 on 2 Aug 2012 1 1426 2 Aug 2012
Recommendations for Massage Places? ... By dreamxy on 25 Mar 2013 0 1878 25 Mar 2013
Sep recommendations islands/places near phuket (not on ) ... By jasinorbit on 14 Jul 2011 3 1677 16 Jul 2011
Recommendations on where to go from Koh Lanta? ... By grak88 on 24 Jan 2012 1 831 25 Jan 2012
visiting Australia - need recommendations on places to visit ... By melloluis on 7 Jan 2010 0 1648 7 Jan 2010